Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

I REALLY like how Campus Martius is developing. Before I really realized how important it is to keep things at human scales in parts of center cities I was a bit disappointed that all of the buildings were too short, but the idea of a more low-rise district amidst all of the skyscrapers creates a unique fill. I also really like the modernity being applied to the designs of the towers. They look like they will age well. I can assure you that Compware will. Granite and limestone (the two major facade materials) age really well.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY like how Campus Martius is developing.  Before I really realized how important it is to  keep things at human scales in parts of center cities I was a bit disappointed that all of the buildings were too short, but the idea of a more low-rise district amidst all of the skyscrapers creates a unique fill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not agree with you more. That is the same kind of thing I would like to see in many of the parking lots around downtown- density. I could care less about building 20+ story buildings, I just want to see some density.

That's very true. I know a lot of people who are very fixated on height...in their eyes, the taller the better. The truth is that you really only need about a 4 story building built right up to the sidewalk to create an urban feeling. Heck, look at Greektown. It is definately scaled for people...the buildings are only 2-3 stories, yet it still feels urban.

Of course the width of the street has a lot to do with it too. Put those same 2-3 story buildings on 200 foot wide Washington Boulevard and it won't seem nearly as urban, and it will look out of place.

Exactly. But, I don't want to get people to get the impression that I'm not concerned about building a better skyline, because, I think Detroit is sorely in need of some skyscraper infill, just as much as it's in need of urban infill. In particular, Park Avenue and the westside of downtown would be a great place to see some new modern additions to the skyline.

We definately need some height on the west side of downtown to balance out the Ren Cen. People always talk about filling in the gap between the Ren Cen and everything else, but if you do that you'll still end up with an unbalanced (albeit more dense) skyline.

desktop_detroit_pic.sized.jpg

This is a photo that I took looking up Woodward just days before the All-star game came to town.

With the addition of Borders, Ben & Jerry's, and numerous great loft developments, I can see the way the Campus Martius area is starting to transform into merchants row of Detroit. I expect to see even more large name shops opening up in the upcoming years.

Nice photo.  Hopefully you're right.  There are rumblings about a downtown retail mall being constructed on the Hudson's block...an announcement is supposedly coming soon.  I guess only time will tell....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have no idea how my heart just pounded as I read this post...A quality retail mall would almost certainly put downtown back on the retail map.

It should be a mixed use development. Retail with either office or residential or even both. I dont think a mall alone could survive, they would be smart to put some residential in there to create more customers for themselves. Ive also read that Karmanos wants a hotel to go in that space so perhaps the new development is a hotel retail complex.

This block IS planned for mixed use. Very few urban malls, period, are built as standalone buildings, anymore. This will, of course, offer either residential or office space (or both). From what I've heard, they plan for a multi-story mall. But, after you get past four floors, studies have shown that top floors get less foot traffic. So, I wouldn't suspect the retail aspect of the Woodward Block to be over 4 stories, but that is more than enough.

It's good to see others adding to this thread! Keep it up.

Aaron, great photo! Sarcasm is the often misunderstood language of the forums :) I thought it was witty

Since its been awhile ...

Sept 20

42341351_678c538bff.jpg

Tiffany lights located inside the recently opened Cock 'n Bull Irish Sports Bar in downtown Detroit

Edited by baldy