Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Are you like, a hero of sorts?

Standing up to Illitch? That's unheard of!

I have spent hundreds of dollars to support his hockey and baseball teams, and buy his $5 pizza's at least once a week. The least he could do is relinquish his development rights to the G.A.R. Building so that it can be used to benefit the students of the city of Detroit. I just want a place to house our new non-profit organization. A community resource center for students and families... but before I give away too many details I'm going to shut my mouth, but I promise big news surrounding the G.A.R. in a few weeks.

Let me just say that it's amazing what a college student can accomplish with the help of little guilt trip. I met face to face with Illitch and refused to back down to his "better than the rest" attitude...like I said, details coming. :yahoo:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statedude, it is so awesome what you are doing. Its amazing what a person can accomplish. A college student maybe renovating an abandoned building. That may be unheard of. Keep up the awesome work and keep us posted. I can't wait til Illitch backs down to a college student. No offense..... AWESOME STATEDUDE!!!!! Just the state thing pisses me off. LOL!!!!! GO BLUE!!!!! :lol:

I thought about buying an abandoned house & fixing it up. The city has this program where they will sell you a house for $1 if you sign an agreement saying that you will make improvements to it. Unfortunately I don't have an unlimited supply of money at this point.

I have spent hundreds of dollars to support his hockey and baseball teams, and buy his $5 pizza's at least once a week. The least he could do is relinquish his development rights to the G.A.R. Building so that it can be used to benefit the students of the city of Detroit. I just want a place to house our new non-profit organization. A community resource center for students and families... but before I give away too many details I'm going to shut my mouth, but I promise big news surrounding the G.A.R. in a few weeks.

Let me just say that it's amazing what a college student can accomplish with the help of little guilt trip. I met face to face with Illitch and refused to back down to his "better than the rest" attitude...like I said, details coming. :yahoo:

You don't worry about reporting anything to us . We're behind you 100%. And I admire you greatly for what you have endeavored! :)

I'm with you Allan. I don't have the $$ to embark on my long-standing desire to do the same.

I thought about buying an abandoned house & fixing it up. The city has this program where they will sell you a house for $1 if you sign an agreement saying that you will make improvements to it. Unfortunately I don't have an unlimited supply of money at this point.

Maybe my question is off topic but does anyone know how much it costs in material and how much it costs in labor to fix up an abandoned house? Could a team of say 10 buddies/do-gooders spend $100/each per month and work on a $1 house every weekend and get it renovated?

I've seen the city of Detroit's website listing the properties it has for sale (iirc they were all $1/sqft) but didn't really recognize the addresses of any as being where I'd want to fix one up (Midtown, Southwest Detrot), and maybe all the properties in those areas are already owned by speculators who are just sitting on them.

According to a university organization here on campus that renovates abandoned homes in Detroit, it costs about $10,000-20,000 depending on the house. I don't know if that's what they pay out of pocket since I'm sure they get funding from the university.. Are there $1 houses even available in midtown? I would only think you'd find those on the East Side.

Edited by wolverine

Got direct URL to this page? I browsed around the city site, but could not find it.

Thanks.

I thought I had it bookmarked but I can't find it. I just remember that the url begun with www.ci.detroit.mi.us. Someone more elite than myself should really scrape up all those addresses from the city of Detroit's website and link them up with Google Maps so you can quickly get an idea of where the abandoned properties for sale are.

According to a university organization here on campus that renovates abandoned homes in Detroit, it costs about $10,000-20,000 depending on the house. I don't know if that's what they pay out of pocket since I'm sure they get funding from the university.. Are there $1 houses even available in midtown? I would only think you'd find those on the East Side.

$10k ain't bad. Btw, can you tell me what this organization is, and it is at UofM (I see you are Wolverine from Ann Arbor so..)? Also, I want to make it clear that the stuff the city was selling was $1 per square foot not $1 total, so you're going to be paying a few thousand up front to the city. It's sad that someone who has the money and will to renovate a property in Midtown can't do so because the person who owns the abandoned building wants too much money for it.

I remember reading an article a couple weeks ago...the city does have houses for sale for $1 (though they require a ton of work). The city owns thousands upon thousands of vacant properties, very few of which actually make it to their website, and they will do anything just to get them back on the tax rolls. I get the feeling that they only bother to update the site every few months. For a feeling as to what they have it would probably be best to go talk to someone at the city.