Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Baldy. That makes sense. What was the story with that trolley anyway? It was very popular when it first opened. No one expected it to be a viable transportation option or to pay for pay for itself. It was meant to be a bit of a tourist attraction. Is it that we get so few tourists that it run empty all the time? Or was it like so many other things in Detroit? It just broke down and nobody could fix it.

I like the trees outside of the Guardian. In fact, downtown Detroit would look SO much better with more trees. You'd be surprised at how far a little streetscapping goes. And Detroit is lucky to have relatively larger sidewalks. I never got why it was so unvegetated in the first place considering that the rest of the city was (and still is) one of the more green of the major cities.

And to beat a dead horse, seeing those new homes being built is pretty uplifting when quite a few of the houses in Detroit look like this:

006.jpg

003.jpg

(And trust me, these aren't even bad compared to some neighborhoods.)

This looks like W. Fort St. near Wyoming Ave. or Miller Rd., which is a stones throw from Dearborn and The Ford Rouge plant. Edited by Exodus

Basically that style of buildings doesn't belong in that location. They are very suburban in design instead of being urban and fitting in with their surroundings. Remember, this is at Woodward and I-75!
They don't look too bad. They have bayed windows, green trimming, dark brick, iron railings and tall stoops. I think it fits in ok.

Those houses are actually on Fort St. in Delray.
Wasn't sure if that was Delray, but I knew it was close or bordered it. But those houses are near Miller Rd. and the Fort St. draw bridge that goes over the Rouge River. I spent a lot of time in that area working at the Marathon refinery, and though I've been out of state for five years, I knew those houses right off the bat. Great pics, thanks for posting them.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, Aaron! I've obviously been too lazy to do anything about it...maybe if I ever get around to reinstalling photoshop on my computer....

The lot at Franklin & Riopelle used to be home of The Spot. There were about 40 homeless people living inside - I couldn't really believe my eyes when I saw that!

I like how the top of the Ren Cen gets lost in the fog in the last shot.

More churches then any city in the world wow..... I never knew that.

Now we need to get more synagogues operating in Detroit so we can

be more diverse. Do you know that there are only two operating synagogues

In all of Detroit?! Basically the only major cities that have less are the one's in texas.

I suppose Detroit is biased, odd for a city that is majority black. Edited by Exodus

Thursday, April 7, 2005

The much-debated Woodward Place at Brush Park is replacing the empty lots in Brush Park near the city center.

IMG_8392.jpg

There not that bad. They have bayed windows trimmed in a more traditional shade of green, nice brickwork & stonework, wrought iron railings, and tall "stoops". They fit in to some degree, and I feel they could have turned out a lot worse. Be happy for the development. :thumbsup: Edited by Exodus