Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

To elaborate on why I said this list is nonsense...

It is important to remember the make-up of the user base that generates Untappd and BA ratings. It obviously skews heavily to beer "nerds", "geeks", whatever you want to call them. OMB sells more beer than any of these breweries. Clearly the beer is good, otherwise people would not drink it. However, the list of the best beers is driven, seemingly, by beer nerd heavy apps. Does popular opinion not count? Heist makes a minuscule fraction of the amount of beer that OMB or NoDa brew. Should Salud NoDa be considered? How about a home brewer with amazing skills and recipes. That is an exaggeration, but I hope you all get my point.

I love beer, but I never rate anything. I am a grown man, and do not get any thrill out of digital merit badges. Taste is subjective, after all, and perhaps this list is misleading, mis-titled, or both. In no way am I bashing any of the beers themselves, just the bullcrap criteria used to generate this nonsense list.

7 hours ago, grodney said:

Yes of course on BeerAdvocate with so few ratings it would be easy to create a bunch of fake accounts.  With the number of reviews on Untappd, though, I think you'd have to automate it.....which is certainly do-able, but way more trouble.

Number of ratings for top Heist beers: Citraquench'l 2367 (4.4), Blurred is the Word 1410 (4.27), Thirst 1382 (4.08), High Fives 1546 (3.72), San Fran Disco 1297 (3.5).

And if you're going to make rating bots to boost your ratings, why would you give some beers (like High Fives and San Fan) such bad ratings?

If I use only the Untappd ratings they still get the top 7 and 8 of the top 10.  So the other explanation is that Untappd is used by 100s or 1000s of millennials and/or faux beer lovers, and they all think Heist is really swell because it's trendy and the place is cool and they all get drunk while eating too-small plates of food, and so they give the beer high ratings even though it isn't that great.  I mean the number of Yelp reviews that LOVED the beer when they first opened was laughable, when I can tell you it undeniably sucked.....this article in Charlotte Mag even admits it: http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/July-2017/Inside-the-Evolution-of-Heist-Brewery/

But there are certainly real beer drinkers right here on UP that stand by their beers.

So I don't know.

It is that good - mostly in the "turbid IPA" realm, which gives you a ton of hop juicyness and flavor without much bitterness. If you don't like, or haven't had, that style, then you may not be a fan of Heist. Almost all of those top-rated BA beers are just variants of the same theme with different hoppings. 

A lot of these beers get traded to other areas, boosting the number of people who will have them & review online. 

With a lot of Wooden Robot's better stuff being brewery-only, it seems like they aren't getting as many ratings there. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

To elaborate on why I said this list is nonsense...

It is important to remember the make-up of the user base that generates Untappd and BA ratings..  ....  the list of the best beers is driven, seemingly, by beer nerd heavy apps. .... the bullcrap criteria used to generate this nonsense list.

The list you said is nonsense, the one from Charlotte Magazine, has nothing to do with BA or Untappd......rather, they "consulted with local beer experts, bottle shop owners, bartenders, and others".  In other words, they talked to people that actually (or ostensibly?) know what they're talking about.

If I'm reading this correctly, if/when the brunch bill gets signed by the Governor, cities and counties can allow alcohol sales starting at 10am on Sundays (instead of Noon).....including retail stores.....not just restaurants.  That's pretty huge.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/article158759314.html

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2017/Bills/Senate/HTML/S155v2.html

Specifically:

"

ALLOW THE SALE OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BEFORE NOON ON SUNDAYS, SUBJECT TO LOCAL GOVERNMENT APPROVAL

SECTION 4.(a)  G.S. 18B‑1004(c) reads as rewritten:

"§ 18B‑1004.  Hours for sale and consumption.

(c)        Sunday Hours. – It Except as authorized pursuant to G.S. 153A‑145.7 or G.S. 160A‑205.3, it shall be unlawful to sell or consume alcoholic beverages on any licensed premises from the time at which sale or consumption must cease on Sunday morning until 12:00 Noon on that day."

SECTION 4.(b)  Article 6 of Chapter 153A of the General Statutes is amended by adding a new section to read:

"§ 153A‑145.7.  Hours of certain alcohol sales.

In accordance with G.S. 18B‑1004(c), a county may adopt an ordinance allowing for the sale of malt beverages, unfortified wine, fortified wine, and mixed beverages beginning at 10:00 A.M. on Sunday pursuant to the licensed premises' permit issued under G.S. 18B‑1001."

SECTION 4.(c)  Article 8 of Chapter 160A of the General Statutes is amended by adding a new section to read:

"§ 160A‑205.3.  Hours of certain alcohol sales.

In accordance with G.S. 18B‑1004(c), a city may adopt an ordinance allowing for the sale of malt beverages, unfortified wine, fortified wine, and mixed beverages beginning at 10:00 A.M. on Sunday pursuant to the licensed premises' permit issued under G.S. 18B‑1001."

"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grodney said:

The list you said is nonsense, the one from Charlotte Magazine, has nothing to do with BA or Untappd......rather, they "consulted with local beer experts, bottle shop owners, bartenders, and others".  In other words, they talked to people that actually (or ostensibly?) know what they're talking about.

...and all of the "bottle shop owners, bartenders, and others" named a beer with virtually no distribution as the best? That makes complete sense.

In regards to local beer experts, I'd love to know what qualifies one as a "beer expert". Beyond drinking beer and having an opinion, what raises one's beer skill level to expert? The most badges on an Untappd account? The most hours spent waiting in line next to Matt McKenzie to get limited cans or bottles on a Saturday?

Again, no shots fired at any brewery here. I love Charlotte beer. If I had to guess, I'd bet Matt McKenzie picked this list based on personal taste, not the sources listed.

Edited by NeverSummer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NeverSummer said:

...and all of the "bottle shop owners, bartenders, and others" named a beer with virtually no distribution as the best? That makes complete sense.

In regards to local beer experts, I'd love to know what qualifies one as a "beer expert". Beyond drinking beer and having an opinion, what raises one's beer skill level to expert? The most badges on an Untappd account? The most hours spent waiting in line next to Matt McKenzie to get limited cans or bottles on a Saturday?

Yeah man, I agree the list is suspect (Salty Coconut hello?).  I mean, it's subjective, how could it not be?  Your personal list (and mine!) would be suspect, too.  I'm a data guy, so I wish Matt would have at least listed the "experts", and better yet shown each of their lists and the aggregation into the final ranking.  But it likely wasn't that "scientific" even with subjective matter.

You were just ranting about BA and Untappd as the reason you said it was nonsense, so I thought I'd clarify that those ratings had nothing to do with the list.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

Again, no shots fired at any brewery here. I love Charlotte beer. If I had to guess, I'd bet Matt McKenzie picked this list based on personal taste, not the sources listed.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever brewed beer yourself?  I'd argue that, in becoming a "beer expert", you'd probably have to start there and actually know whats going on.  Not saying these "experts" were, just saying that would be my first level of distinction.  

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, ah59396 said:

Heist is very underrated.  It got a bad rap a while back, but it pumps out some very good stuff.

Have given the beer more chances recently and I agree.  It still has awful service and has often only had a few options available because of being out of several..

On 6/2/2017 at 11:52 AM, grodney said:

Here's a pretty good article on the women of Charlotte breweries: https://americanwaymagazine.com/these-women-are-reshaping-charlotte’s-craft-beer-scene

Mentioned is Rachael Cardwell of NoDa opening a new brewery (small...2bbl) with her husband next year.  Anybody know what that is, before I go searching?

Edit: Looks like it's "Pilot Brewing Co LLC".  Logo on Rachael's facebook page.  Also says she's now "former" brewer at NoDa as of April.  Now to find out more.  

Edit 2: Plaza Midwood, "winter 2018", according to the tweeter machine at PilotBrewingCLT, and www.pilotbrewing.us

UPDATE: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article159682079.html

51 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

Yes, they were nice enough to tweet me their address, so I sent it to the various media.  Also, as in the article(s), they're now saying "spring 2018"......sounds like a candidate for next year's prediction game!

Speaking of prediction games:

Resident Culture, which was at "Spring 2017" in December '16, most recently said June, but they don't appear to be open yet.  toz has July 4 in the pool...next closest is my wife at Sept 1.

The Rezoning Petition for the site discussed as being tied to Petty Thieves Brewing in Villa Heights went before City Council yesterday.( https://charlottenc.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=3103671&GUID=74FFC020-17E8-4083-AB2D-B1BE875E5820&Options=&Search )

I like the layout of the site improvements that were presented, including integration of some of the recommendations of the bike/pedestrian study, and I think that there will be more of these types of projects along this corridor as neighborhoods like Optimist Park, Villa Heights, and NoDa mature along Parkwood and The Plaza. 

Anyone with 'inside' knowledge know if this is still planning on being the site for Petty Thieves?

slightly less blurry photo of Hyde from the rail trail (but no better than Grodney's) . Interesting two story steel structure at the rail trail entrance is a bar at the bottom, but appears to be just ornamental at the top (there did not appear to be any access to the top level).  There were people inside at 9am (ish) who may have been staff being trained?

It looks good from the back and kinda overwhelms Triple C from the front with their silo and tinted glass. Tons of money went into this.

Hyde 1.jpg

Hyde 2.jpg

2 hours ago, swh1972 said:

The Rezoning Petition for the site discussed as being tied to Petty Thieves Brewing in Villa Heights went before City Council yesterday.( https://charlottenc.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=3103671&GUID=74FFC020-17E8-4083-AB2D-B1BE875E5820&Options=&Search )

I like the layout of the site improvements that were presented, including integration of some of the recommendations of the bike/pedestrian study, and I think that there will be more of these types of projects along this corridor as neighborhoods like Optimist Park, Villa Heights, and NoDa mature along Parkwood and The Plaza. 

Anyone with 'inside' knowledge know if this is still planning on being the site for Petty Thieves?

Still planning, but not committed.

One of the optional provision in the rezoning is the reduction of required parking to zero for any permitted use. 

Some of us are worried that the developer is using the brewery as a lure to gain neighborhood support, will have a dramatically increased property value by virtue of the zero parking requirement,  then sell the building for a higher price before inking the lease with the brewery...  possibly skyrocketing the rent for them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sakami said:

I heard through an offhand comment today that yet another brewery is in the works, this time in the FreeMoreWest area. Something like Town Brewery? Think it is looking at a mid-2018 opening

Need more info on this one.  "Town Brewery" or "Town Brewing" is tough to google out, and I couldn't find anything on IG, Twitts, FB, or ncbeerguys.

4 minutes ago, grodney said:

Need more info on this one.  "Town Brewery" or "Town Brewing" is tough to google out, and I couldn't find anything on IG, Twitts, FB, or ncbeerguys.

I'm assuming this is the one behind good burger co. on Grandin Ave.