Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

11 minutes ago, NeverSummer said:

I agree. Their beer is completely unremarkable. On the other hand, their interior designer is excellent.

Stunning, simply stunning. The Alligator Charred wood. Holy crap.

I’ll admit I am quick on the trigger with calls of craft’s decline but we gotta admit that when Circle K gets its own ‘craft’ brand the end of the boom may be near.

(I don’t want this expensive-boozy ride to end — I am top 1% beer nerd.   But people can only drink so much alcohol)

http://goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2017/11/12/circle-ks-proprietary-lager-and-ipa-brands-debut-in-730-stores-draw-trademark-attention-from-dogfish-head

40 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Will be interesting to see if the Catawba locations become Catawba / Palmetto taprooms or it they keep things separate (but integrated behind the scenes).  But good on them scooping up another local and keeping it in the region.  I would venture to say Catawba has capacity in Charlotte and Palmetto was just tapped out and not wanting to jump into constructing a new brewery.  The Palmetto  owners have been doing this for 25 year and should enjoy a nice retirement!

18 hours ago, kermit said:

I’ll admit I am quick on the trigger with calls of craft’s decline but we gotta admit that when Circle K gets its own ‘craft’ brand the end of the boom may be near.

(I don’t want this expensive-boozy ride to end — I am top 1% beer nerd.   But people can only drink so much alcohol)

http://goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2017/11/12/circle-ks-proprietary-lager-and-ipa-brands-debut-in-730-stores-draw-trademark-attention-from-dogfish-head

If Boone's Farm and Franzia can be wine, than Circle K can be a craft beer.  And just because you can get 5 liters of zinfandel in a bag in a box, doesn't mean a Brunello isn't a Brunello.   Good wine and very bad wine co-exist in different realms, I imagine good craft beer and bad craft beer can do the same.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I see Resident Culture will be releasing two cans....one a Double IPA.  Also, Blue Blaze is canning their Altbier, and promoting it with a giveaway if you find a specially marked can.

In related news, I've had 70 different Charlotte beers in cans and 12oz bottles this calendar year. Crazy how far we've come. Most is 15 from NoDa and 12 from Birdsong.

Oh p.s. I'm sure you've all seen that Legion is opening a place in South Park. They won't be brewing there, so I'm calling it a "restaurant", despite all of media fawning about South Park's first "brewery". But whatever, good for them and all that jazz.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, grodney said:

I see Resident Culture will be releasing two cans....one a Double IPA.  Also, Blue Blaze is canning their Altbier, and promoting it with a giveaway if you find a specially marked can.

In related news, I've had 70 different Charlotte beers in cans and 12oz bottles this calendar year. Crazy how far we've come. Most is 15 from NoDa and 12 from Birdsong.

Oh p.s. I'm sure you've all seen that Legion is opening a place in South Park. They won't be brewing there, so I'm calling it a "restaurant", despite all of media fawning about South Park's first "brewery". But whatever, good for them and all that jazz.

That isn't true according to the Charlotte Magazine article updated today and Charlotte business Journal article yesterday.  CM specially mentions Alexa Long (head brewer) over-seeing production at both production locations.  CBJ mentions "Additional tanks and barrels will be used in production and on display." “This will be the centerpeice of our sour beer production,” Buchy says.

34 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

That isn't true according to the Charlotte Magazine article updated today and Charlotte business Journal article yesterday.  CM specially mentions Alexa Long (head brewer) over-seeing production at both production locations.  CBJ mentions "Additional tanks and barrels will be used in production and on display." “This will be the centerpeice of our sour beer production,” Buchy says.

I asked on Facebook "Will you be brewing at the new facility?" Their answer was "We plan on keeping our brew system in Plaza Midwood and focusing on fermentation and mixed cultures in South Park."

So who knows....but if I had to bet, I'll bet they're not brewing at South Park.

But I hope they do, and that the CBJ words add up to "brewing" and not "fermentation and aging".  In fact I wish they'd just stick to beer....though I realize that's probably not financially viable at South Park.

21 minutes ago, grodney said:

I asked on Facebook "Will you be brewing at the new facility?" Their answer was "We plan on keeping our brew system in Plaza Midwood and focusing on fermentation and mixed cultures in South Park."

So who knows....but if I had to bet, I'll bet they're not brewing at South Park.

But I hope they do, and that the CBJ words add up to "brewing" and not "fermentation and aging".  In fact I wish they'd just stick to beer....though I realize that's probably not financially viable at South Park.

That would be an odd setup considering the distance and cost of brewing in one location and barrel aging in an expensive location 20 minutes away.  Its one thing like Wicked Weed does with the funkatorium across the street as they can probably do it with forklifts.  And how do you transport 30bbl to a foeder?  Transfer to 60 kegs and then transfer again to the foeder?   Odd.  But I honestly don't care.  This about 100 yards from my office and Legion  is a favorite stop of mine! 

5 minutes ago, grodney said:

Yeah you're right that doesn't make much sense.....probably their Facebook person not understanding my question. Anyway, all good for you, having endless Juicy J and other fine selections constantly available just steps away.

If I were a betting man: they install a simple 15bbl brewery for the production of their sours onsite with  maybe a pilot system.  Hope we get details soon, but more importantly , I just want to see construction start! 

The amount of mis-information on the Legion location is mind boggling.  Charlotte magazine has a clear rendering of the building, yet still says it is in the ground floor of the Capital Towers building.  Charlotte Agenda has an article today basically saying the same thing and has a picture of the wrong building.

It's a separate building, not even attached to Capital Towers (besides the big parking deck) and NOT located in the lobby of some office tower like Teddy from CA is passing it off as.  Geez. 

LegionCapitolTowers-b4f17699.jpeg?ver=15

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

It all reminds me of a Cheesecake Factory. 

LOL, how? Cheesecake factories are like if you ate 42 different international design styles and then got really sick and threw it up all over a 9,000 sq foot box with 25 foot tall ceilings.

image.thumb.png.4fb745fafb48bba8ea57cf3ec7b6f74b.png

image.png.e78d84146942f3532329b1ca22d531a2.png

image.png.d24cb651bcd83349470de57acdaff06a.png

On 11/29/2017 at 2:43 PM, InSouthPark said:

That would be an odd setup considering the distance and cost of brewing in one location and barrel aging in an expensive location 20 minutes away.  Its one thing like Wicked Weed does with the funkatorium across the street as they can probably do it with forklifts.  And how do you transport 30bbl to a foeder?  Transfer to 60 kegs and then transfer again to the foeder?   Odd.  But I honestly don't care.  This about 100 yards from my office and Legion  is a favorite stop of mine! 

I would read that as they'll be installing a system in the South Park location and brewing only mixed culture beers on it (so as not to cross-contaminate) 

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

LOL, how? Cheesecake factories are like if you ate 42 different international design styles and then got really sick and threw it up all over a 9,000 sq foot box with 25 foot tall ceilings.

image.thumb.png.4fb745fafb48bba8ea57cf3ec7b6f74b.png

image.png.e78d84146942f3532329b1ca22d531a2.png

image.png.d24cb651bcd83349470de57acdaff06a.png

Those photos are awesome.  ^ I was referring to the interior rendering I saw on the Agenda. I dunno... it seems off brand, but perhaps not for South Park.

5 minutes ago, NeverSummer said:

Those photos are awesome.  ^ I was referring to the interior rendering I saw on the Agenda. I dunno... it seems off brand, but perhaps not for South Park.

I think its super classy and a bit dramatic. I actually love it. Agreed its very off brand for Legion. 

Hoppin' has been open the past two nights when I have driven by. Sparse crowds both nights (between 7-8) and it looks awfully clinical and cold from the outside, but I haven't been inside. 

I am happy to hear that Legion will brave the Southpark market. Unfortunately I think their brewer is distracted, I had two pints of Juicy Jay this week (at different places) and both were seriously off. They both had the same burnt/chalky aftertaste. Hope they get back on track. 

Has anybody been to Bold Missy lately? Any regulars at Free Range? Both places seem invisible to me, but I don't live over there. 

Here is a photo of building Legion might be going into  There are 2 buildings very much alike behind each of the Capitol Towers and both are vacant as of now.  This is photo is from the behind the North Tower.  The south tower is completely full but this same space is available behind it as well. 

IMG_3573.JPG

• Like 1

I peeked into the G-spot today...I would assume they are going to prep the place for a functional brewery.  About 90% of floor is just stone (only a little concrete around the edges.  I would imagine if you are ever going to prep if for brew house, it would be now before the floors are poured.  It might even have been removed recently...I don't remember it just being stones before the windows went up.