Nashville Retail Thread.

it's just dave

The Mall at Green Hills is getting an Eileen Fisher boutique, which is a high end women's clothing store. Nashville is getting one before any place in Georgia or North Carolina.

The Hill Center just got a Barton Perriera, a luxury eyewear boutique, which is one of the store's first in the United States.

BTW, I just thought I'd make it known that many of these stores I'm listing are ones which I have never even heard of, much less shop at personally. I just think it's a great sign for Nashville that we seem to be finally inching higher and higher on the list of cities to open an outlet for high end chains.

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mall at Green Hills is getting an Eileen Fisher boutique, and a Jimmy Choo boutique.

I guess no body really cares too much about this retail news, which is understandable since a new store opening up pales in comparison in importance to a new apartment block or office tower. Also, like me, I doubt anybody here are patrons of these stores. I just think it's good news in general that Nashville is beginning to rise on the list of cities where exclusive retail outlets are looking to expand. The Eileen Fisher store will be the first in the Southeast outside Florida (including ATL), and the Jimmy Choo store will be the first in the Southeast outside of Florida and Atlanta.

This does speak very well of Nashville. I think it confirms that people outside of Nashville are taking notice, and believe that this is a market that definitely has a "cool" factor as well as the economy to support these types of stores. Also of note, an apparently notable restaurant in Miami has decided to open a second location here in Nashville. Sardinia Enoteca Ristorante - http://www.nashville...hville-location

As an aside, my wife better not buy anything at Jimmy Choo. Personally, I can't tell the difference between a $1000 pair of Jimmy Choo pumps from a more reasonable $50-100 pair from a department store. I guess some people are into the names, though, and it's good for the city and sales tax revenues.

As an aside, my wife better not buy anything at Jimmy Choo. Personally, I can tell the difference between a $1000 pair of Jimmy Choo pumps from a more reasonable $50-100 pair from a department store. I guess some people are into the names, though, and it's good for the city and sales tax revenues.

Here's to hoping your wife doesn't read UP. ;)

Calhouns at White Bridge closed?! I loved that place! I was there just a few months ago...I had no idea they were shutting down... http://www.bizjourna...for-former.html

I was wondering what was happening here when I heard the Calhoun's and the Chinese buffet were closing. Anyone have any idea which stores and restaurants will be opening here?

• 1 month later...

Blue Coast Burrito has opened a location downtown in the St. Cloud building according to their facebook page. I remember the first one (I think) when it opened in Murfreesboro way back around 2005. Now they are everywhere. I know there's one at Lennox Village, one has opened in Cookeville, and there is one in downtown Knoxville on Market Sq.

• 1 month later...

I would love to see some sort of open air type shopping center anchored by an urban Target in the Gulch or SoBro area. It would be nice if something like this could connect the two areas. I live in Virginia Beach right now due to the Navy but am from Nashville. Here in the Hampton Roads area we have a shopping center called Peninsula Towne Center that is located in Hampton. It was formerly the Coliseum Mall and was very run down. A couple of years ago the entire mall was leveled with the exception of the Macy's and JC Penny. The later were remodeled (very nicely) and the remainder of the existing Peninsula Towne Center was built. It is an open air shopping center with the feel of an old main street shopping vibe with outdoor cafe's a park and is very pedestrian friendly. Many shops that you can find in an indoor shopping center are there as well as nice resteraunts a Barnes and Nobles, H&M (which I can't believe Nashville doesn't have at least one yet! We have three here!!) and my favorite CineBistro. I wish I knew how to add a link or pictures to show you all. CineBistro is amazing and would fit nicely into the Gulch or SoBro area especially with all of the residential there or planned. It is a very nice movie theater with a bowling alley and nice bar. It is kid friendly and the nice part is that after 2000 it's only for 21 and above because they serve alcohol. It is a very nice atmosphere and the food served in the movie theater is bistro style. It is reasonably priced and the nice leather chairs are so comfortable. It is a nice experience and I think many would enjoy. I really hope that we see some sort of retail development in the downtown area! Yes I know that Green Hills isn't that far away, but If I was to live downtown I would rather have something right in my neighborhood. Also, I think a shopping center of this sort would be frequented by the many tourists and soon to be conventioneers that Nashville is going to have very soon.

^ Check out the thread on the Boyle development for the North Gulch which sounds along the lines of what you're hoping for in Nashville's core. Buildings are coming down on the site, but the developers have been tight-lipped about future tenants. When the project was announced, they mentioned talks with Target, Publix and even IKEA. It should be very interesting to see what sort of retail ends up being a part of that project.

I am sort of mixed on the outdoor malls/lifestyle centers. I really enjoy them when they are done well and enhance the character of the neighborhoods, but not when they feature the typical sea of surface parking like most malls. I certainly wouldn't mind a sort of high street development similar to the Hill Center at Green Hills in the Gulch or SOBRO, but I cringe at the thought of something like the Avenues in Murfreesboro being dropped in the core.

I'm a bit surprised we don't have H&M yet as well, but I have generally found their stores to be let-down outside of major cities. While that's one major retailer I would like to checked off our list soon, I hope we could at least get a store with a decent-sized selection. I would love for them to come in and rehab and old space similar to what Urban Outfitters did in the Gulch, but they are the sort of company that's just as likely to set up shop at a mall like Opry Mills.

Thanks for letting me know about the Boyle development. I think you would like the look and feel of Peninsula Towne Center. If I could figure out how to upload pictures I would. It's a very well done development and does include residential as well. As for the Ikea I would love to have one in Nashville. We don't have one here in Hampton Roads but there are 3 within a three hour drive in the D.C. metro area. I still can't figure out Ikea considering they just announced their newest store to be built in Kansas City. Charlotte has one so I don't see why they wouldn't think that Nashville couldn't support an Ikea. The closest one is in Atlanta so If Nashville was to have one I'm sure that we would even cater to the Memphis and Louisville metro. Maybe we will get lucky one day. I could see one in the Bellevue area considering it's right off a major interstate which is my understanding that Ikea considers when building new locations. I'm not sure how one could fit near downtown due to the fact of an Ikea footprint which from my experience is pretty large.

^ I just google the Hampton Roads development and it does look nice (sans the surface lots, of course). It looks like a much larger Hill Center with more of a traditional mall tenant mix. The CineBistro concept sounds like something that would be a welcomed addition here.

The Boyle site is rather large, but you are correct that it would be a tight squeeze to include an IKEA. I do think it'll definitely work with underground parking. IKEA does have some urban properties as well. I had not heard about the upcoming KC IKEA, but I imagine it bodes well for Nashville in near future if not with the Boyle development. A store opening in KC possibly eliminates St. Louis for the near future. With stores in Atlanta and Cincy already a little over 4-5 hours away from Nashville, a St. Louis store would have made three stores within a reasonable day trip for our metro. Now, St. Louis is in the same position as Nashville except TN is currently without an IKEA. Plop an IKEA in Nashville, and then all the Mid South and essentially the whole region would have an IKEA within a day trip. I'm liking our chances. :good:

BTW, you may want to set up a Photobucket account if you haven't already. You can save your images there, then use the hyperlinks it will create to post your photos here and elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Two new developments in retail:

Nordstrom Rack eyeing Nashville; location unannounced: http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/01/18/nordstrom-rack-eyes-nashville.html

H&M @ Opry Mills: http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/01/24/coveted-clothing-retailer-hm-to-open.html

Looks like there's some Swedish love for us after all, as H&M is headquartered in jolly old Västerås.

Having been to the Nordstrom Rack in Seattle, I can say it's full of great deals for those of us without $3K to drop on a suit.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to see a friend in Richmond that I have not seen in over 20 years.  She asked if I had ever been to Carytown and I replied no.  Had no clue what it was. Soooo, i went to good old Google and I fell in love with what I saw.  It's called Carytown Mile of Style.  It is a shopping district in downtown Richmond full of very cool shops, cafe's, restaurants, etc.  I think it would be amazing if Nashville could do something like this.  I am guessing that Hillsboro Village might be similar but on a smaller scale.  It has been years since I have been so I am going out on a whim.  Anyways, I was surprised when I viewed the website and saw all there is to offer.  I really, really hope that Nashville can develop or re develop an area of downtown for something on the lines of Carytown.  Who knows, maybe the 5th avenue section of SoBro could turn into something similar. :thumbsup: The website is htttp://www.carytownrva.com

Sorry I don't know how to have the website link to my post :sick:

• 2 months later...

Betty Paige clothing boutique coming to Gruhn Guitars site on Broadway.  Note the local connection to one of the original pin-up girls.  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2013/04/bettie-page-clothing-boutique-coming.html

I read that. I think it's pretty interesting. I'm glad Gruhn is moving rather than closing. I do find it interesting that more non-music related retail is opening up on Lower Broad. I don't know exactly what to think...but on one hand, I'm happy to see downtown retail that isn't confined to the music industry/tourism.

And yes, I did find it interesting that a Nashville native's namesake is "coming home."

• 2 months later...

With the announcement of two more hotels(along with the previously announced hotels on KVB), and the potential apartment/condo buildings to come in Sobro...does anyone think there's a possibility of getting a Hill center style shopping development in the area to cater to all of these projects and downtown in general?

Archived