Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

randomly found this, Ikea is experimenting with urban stores, without giant parking lots

http://gizmodo.com/why-ikea-is-ditching-of-giant-parking-lots-1626604080

That's a pretty cool idea. I know I always joke about IKEA coming downtown, but this one would actually make some sense, especially with all of the young professionals moving there. My big concern would be from the people from the suburbs coming to since the closest one is in Atlanta. There would be nowhere for them to park. This concept really only makes sense in an area that already has a "full service" IKEA that can service those who are car dependent. 

Having an Ikea along the Amp route, maybe on part of the Lifeway site, would be one more big reason for improved, speedy transit along the corridor. All the new residential being planned and built along the corridor is a big indicator; many of these younger people want experiences like this, that are found in other cities.

Just a reminder, the lights go out at Greer Stadium tonight. I'll be there! I'm not sure if there are tickets left (probably are), but if you need something to do, it's sure to be a good time.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/baseball/2014/08/27/greer-stadium-closes-nashville-sounds/14642627/?sf30334542=%5B%271%27%5D

• Like 2

^ This was an interesting quote from Cassidy Turley's Nashville report on p. 25:

"However, Nashville’s Class A office space was actually leasing up much quicker than other space. The flight to quality drove the Class A vacancy rate from 12.6% at the end of 2009 to 4.3% at mid-2014 — the lowest rate on record."

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sites/default/files/attachments/83989/Construction_Report_2014_FINAL.pdf

There are a couple new SP's on metro's site, both on 19th Avenue S.  One for the previously announced mixed-use project at 19th Ave S. and Chet Atkins Place, which now has a name - "M Residences." The other is a mixed use project at 19th Ave. and Broadway, on the land occupied by Gigi's, the old Arby's parking lot, and the small Premier Parking building behind Hattie B's.

• Like 1

The M street project is the 17 story proposed for that corner by Lennar.

The other is a group of owners trying to get the parcels re-zoned.  No hard development yet. Just a first step. Many buyers interested,

and something may happen soon.

There are some more I know about, but of course can't say anything about yet.

I will say this area is red hot.

• Like 1

There are a couple new SP's on metro's site, both on 19th Avenue S. One for the previously announced mixed-use project at 19th Ave S. and Chet Atkins Place, which now has a name - "M Residences." The other is a mixed use project at 19th Ave. and Broadway, on the land occupied by Gigi's, the old Arby's parking lot, and the small Premier Parking building behind Hattie B's.

Where did you find that? I couldn't find it on the Planning Commission website. I assume it's an agenda for the 9/11 meeting?

Where did you find that? I couldn't find it on the Planning Commission website. I assume it's an agenda for the 9/11 meeting?

Its on Development Tracker.

Here is a related article from the Post.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/8/29/owners_request_rezoning_of_key_midtown_parcels

The concept plan for 19th and Broadway shows two towers, one apartments and one hotel:

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2014/100914/2014SP-072-001_plan.pdf

Here's the site plan for M Residences.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2014/100914/2014SP-074-001_plan.pdf

The first pdf does not open for me.

I just  took a quick look at U.S. cities in which are located universities that offer NCAA Division I-A athletics.

New York leads with seven

Houston and Philly have five each

Nashville is tied with D.C. and Chicago with four each.

Of note, L.A. and Boston have three each (but in fairness, both cities have lots more located on the fringes of their respective city limits).

Bottom line: We are in strong company. 

(Admittedly, this is a very minor element in how we view cities. But it's interesting.)

WW
  • Like 1

And remember that we have another D1 school in our metro -- MTSU....and two more in our TV market -- Tennessee Tech and Austin Peay. And also remember that WKU has a strong presence in the area (including playing a home football game at LP Field).

Also of note, the OVC is headquartered here.

And remember that we have another D1 school in our metro -- MTSU....and two more in our TV market -- Tennessee Tech and Austin Peay. And also remember that WKU has a strong presence in the area (including playing a home football game at LP Field).

Also of note, the OVC is headquartered here.

Good points, but I don't use non-Davidson County colleges in universities in this discussion. To do so would mean I would have to do likewise for other cities. In other words, Detroit could count the U. of Michigan in nearby Ann Arbor. It distorts the true picture.

For Nashville/Davidson County, I would rank our "Big 9" (in terms of importance, prestige, national influence, history, athletics, etc.) as follows:

1. Vanderbilt

2. Belmont

3. Tennessee State

4. Lipscomb

5. Meharry

6. Trevecca

7. Aquinas

8. Watkins

9. Nashville State Community College 

There are few similar sized cities that offer such a strong list. From what I can tell, the only two that can hang with Nashville are Providence and Milwaukee.

WW

^^^as with any other "list" there are some very serious variables to take into account here. There is no doubt that Nashville has a strong higher learning presence. But take Boston for example. Boston proper may not compare to our list of universities, but considering the boundaries (90 sq. mi.) and that Cambridge is only 3.3 miles from the dead center of Boston, that's kind of a game changer.

I guess my point is that we may rank up there in "universities per city", but not necessarily "university density".

• Like 1

Good points, but I don't use non-Davidson County colleges in universities in this discussion. To do so would mean I would have to do likewise for other cities. In other words, Detroit could count the U. of Michigan in nearby Ann Arbor. It distorts the true picture.

For Nashville/Davidson County, I would rank our "Big 9" (in terms of importance, prestige, national influence, history, athletics, etc.) as follows:

1. Vanderbilt

2. Belmont

3. Tennessee State

4. Lipscomb

5. Meharry

6. Trevecca

7. Aquinas

8. Watkins

9. Nashville State Community College 

There are few similar sized cities that offer such a strong list. From what I can tell, the only two that can hang with Nashville are Providence and Milwaukee.

WW

Fisk should be somewhere around Meharry on that list.

• Like 3