Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

FYI--there were many proposed developments of that property over the years.  In my time at Opryland (later Gaylord) there was a proposal for a "Broadcast Center" built around the TNN studios, fashioned to some extent on the concept of the studio tour attractions in the Orlando area.  Obviously all of that went out and window and TNN went to Viacom!

Everyone loves urbanity and rail when it comes in a make believe, insulated, Disneyesque package! :good:

In all seriousness though...that development would be great for the city and fit perfectly with that area.  Ever since Opryland was torn down, that area has just been begging for a true entertainment component.  This would certainly provide that, and then some. 

• Like 2

Yes... I tend to agree with the comment made earlier about those "lists"... and I actually respect the Forbes publications, especially more so than most other publications.  However, a list is (just that) a list, and as the old man said, there's no such thing as bad publicity.  I remember when Nashville was never on the so-called radar.  Now it seems to be on every list.  

So this one is "Cities Stealing Jobs from Wall Street" (implied "financial"). 

Top four... 

Phoenix

San Antonio

Austin

Nashville

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/06/forbes-nashville-a-top-city-for-stealing-jobs-from.html

From Forbes: "These metro areas have advantages beyond just warmer weather; all are places with affordable housing and no state income taxes."

Edited by MLBrumby

This quote from the article...

Local sources also tell me that they may have been planning this for awhile, as over the past few years many smaller support buildings and left-over structures from the former Opryland theme park in this zone have all been removed one by one. 

...seems to indicate these are not old plans that got shelved some time ago, but are active and still current ideas for a new venue.

I used to love Thrillist in Philly, however they have since devolved to ranking lists of questionable veracity instead of a good place to hear about interesting things to do, new openings, deals, etc.

• Like 1

Nashville Zoo expansion plans: Lions, cheetahs, otters and more

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/07/09/lions-cheetahs-otters-part-zoo-expansion-plans/12418137/

Lions, rhinos, cheetahs, gorillas, penguins and other new critters are headed to Nashville as part of a $160 million expansion plan unveiled Wednesday by the Nashville Zoo. When the undeveloped land is included, the zoo is the ninth-largest in the United States.

This is Great news for the city of Nashville. The Zoo is a huge tourist draw, especially for families with kids. I think I saw in a past article that is was the #2 or 3 tourist attraction in Nashville. We have a great Zoo and it is only going to get better.

• Like 1

[qu ote name=Urban Architecture" post="1313547" timestamp="1405005483]I hate posting this because I wish this was us:

[url=http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116108-tallest-under-construction-projects/page-

9#entry1313543]http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116108-tallest-under-construction-projects/page9#entry1313543[/url

They are in a tall building boom! They do have 200,000+ more people than we do, but its quite amazing what they are doing.

"I understand your frustration, I wish we had Unrestricted tower delvopments as well!! :-("

It is frustrating, but Austin is ahead of Nashville for a variety of reasons:

1) Higher population.

2) Higher percentage of high school graduates. (Higher literacy. Tennessee's literacy rate is still near the bottom.)

3) Higher percentage of college graduates.

4) Less Zoning and height restrictions.

5) More progressive in thinking developmentally, and in city sponsorships and funding of many projects.

6) Second only to Silicon Valley for high tech development and jobs.

7) Higher tax revenues.

8) Higher percentage of public/private partnerships.

9) Light rail under construction.

10) Located in the second largest state in the country.

Those 10 reasons alone are reasons why Nashville is a long way off. I aways laughed at Nashvillian's when they said they do not want Nashville to become another Atlanta! Little do they know what they are talking about!

I hate posting this because I wish this was us:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116108-tallest-under-construction-projects/page-9#entry1313543

They are in a tall building boom! They do have 200,000+ more people than we do, but its quite amazing what they are doing.

It looks more like Miami.

It is frustrating, but Austin is ahead of Nashville for a variety of reasons:

1) Higher population.

2) Higher percentage of high school graduates. (Higher literacy. Tennessee's literacy rate is still near the bottom.)

3) Higher percentage of college graduates.

4) Less Zoning and height restrictions.

5) More progressive in thinking developmentally, and in city sponsorships and funding of many projects.

6) Second only to Silicon Valley for high tech development and jobs.

7) Higher tax revenues.

8) Higher percentage of public/private partnerships.

9) Light rail under construction.

10) Located in the second largest state in the country.

Those 10 reasons alone are reasons why Nashville is a long way off. I aways laughed at Nashvillian's when they said they do not want Nashville to become another Atlanta! Little do they know what they are talking about!

Dead-on, JM.

We're doing fine overall, but Austin has, no doubt, zoomed past us.

WW

And I can tell you from personal experience that property taxes in Texas are quite high, which are offset only slightly by the fact that there is not a sales tax on groceries. Much of that state's advance in municipal construction (schools, roads & rail, sidewalks, etc) is, no doubt, due to those higher real estate tax dollars!

• Like 1