Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Just a small correction to the above post, the crying wolf is actually on Woodland. 

I realize that, just a typing error. I have been there and talked to the owner.

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

The Division Street Connector has funding in this year's capital expenditures budgets.  I'm not sure if that is just design work  or also includes construction.

I'm going to go with design work, because there are several properties and buildings that need to be acquired and cleared to make this happen.

Unfortunately, the new Tennessee Brew Works seems to be right in the path of the proposed extension. I know that the plan is to go a little farther south with Division, and then work it up to Ash (as opposed to straight across, where they would appear to connect perfectly) due to the clearance height needed for the RR tracks. I am unsure if this will require the razing of the Myers furniture building (not that it would be a bad thing -- but I hope the city is prepared to give fair value for these properties so they don't get sued like when they built the MCC).

It appears the Woodland Street project permit was issued, under 715 Woodland Street rather than 703-705.

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Codes/docs/permits/kd130624.pdf

Different project all together I suspect. The 703-705 was to have 300 units. 715 is way on down the block from 703-705. This must be a totally different project.

I am trying to get info on a project slated for 705 Woodland. Be on the look.

WW

1) Construction about to start on the police precinct. Backhoe for excavation is on site and they have walled off sidewalk with fencing.

2) Demolition for the Hilton Garden Hotel was completed in February. Five months later here in July , no dirt movement on the site. Ron says it is tied up in permitting.

3) Still nothing on the Adam Liebowitz site in East Nashville on 9th and Main Street. No recent update on this mixed use project now delayed almost a year due to environmental issues.

4) 703-705 Woodland Street seems to be cancelled for the second time as Cushman Wakefield has a "For Sale" sign on the property which was to have 300+ units.

5) The Crying Wolf On Woodland Street and Ken's Sushi due to open up soon on Main Street in East Nashville.

6) The Ten Sixteen Restaurant now open next to Five Points Pizza at Five Points in East Nashville.

7) I was told Division Street will connect to downtown with a street extension and bridge, by the Marketing Director at Yazoo Brewery. This is in addition to the connector bridge to be built near Pine Street Lofts to end near the Roundabout.

8) Fairfield Inn is well on its way and is already making a street impact in The Gulch. The same goes for the Ray Hensler Tower which is about to start the 3rd floor and is already towering over the street.

That is all for now. Remember to come by the Hot Chicken Festival in East Nashville on July 4th to benefit Shelby Park. I was at the sponsor appreciation gathering last night at Yazoo Brewery and I had a nice conversation with Former Mayor Bill Purcell who actually started the festival.

Strong update.

For those interested I've got a few pictures and a few more details of the rehab/renovation project at 1605 16th Ave S. They're on the Edgehill Village Neighborhood Association website that I started and maintain. Be patient, for some reason it is taking the website a long time to load.

http://www.edgehillvillagena.org

It's called the Lincoln-Harding House and operated as apartments until 2008 when a fire forced its closure. Evidently it was previously owned by a nun who let things go downhill. Reportedly, a tenant caught a recliner on fire and tried to pull it outside but he stopped in the stairwell on the left side of the building.

It will reopen as a 13 unit apartment building with high end finishes. They are saving many of the historic details. The units will be done late July with move in in August.

Edited by Hey_Hey

According to the warranty deed, 715 Woodland was sold to East Nashville Properties by 800 Main Development Partners last year.  It must be a separate, 'new' project different from the one announced at 703/705. 

That's my understanding from my source.  My impression is that it is supposed to have more of a connection to the Woodland Street side (the backside) of the 800 Main development.

According to the warranty deed, 715 Woodland was sold to East Nashville Properties by 800 Main Development Partners last year.  It must be a separate, 'new' project different from the one announced at 703/705. 

Any rendering besides the one for 703-705 Woodland that was cancelled twice?

Any new sustainable development for the area is great. It will slowly trickle up to where I am. I suspect it will all fill in around Five Points first.

I'm going to go with design work, because there are several properties and buildings that need to be acquired and cleared to make this happen.

Unfortunately, the new Tennessee Brew Works seems to be right in the path of the proposed extension. I know that the plan is to go a little farther south with Division, and then work it up to Ash (as opposed to straight across, where they would appear to connect perfectly) due to the clearance height needed for the RR tracks. I am unsure if this will require the razing of the Myers furniture building (not that it would be a bad thing -- but I hope the city is prepared to give fair value for these properties so they don't get sued like when they built the MCC).

Wonder why they couldn't go under the tracks... except of course for the cost.  Still it would be well worth it to make the buildings connect.  Also, I just noticed that the TN Brew Works is just across the street from where the old Gerst Brewing Works used to be (wonder if there is a family connection or even sentimental connection).  Anywho... I think that connecting those streets in that area would be really great in the creation of a commercial neighborhood like Main Street (Southside) in Chattanooga.

Wonder why they couldn't go under the tracks... except of course for the cost.  Still it would be well worth it to make the buildings connect.  Also, I just noticed that the TN Brew Works is just across the street from where the old Gerst Brewing Works used to be (wonder if there is a family connection or even sentimental connection).  Anywho... I think that connecting those streets in that area would be really great in the creation of a commercial neighborhood like Main Street (Southside) in Chattanooga.

There's no way they could go under the tracks. It's not at grade.

Division side

Ash side

Division is a good ~20 feet above grade, and Ash is at or slightly below grade. A bridge is really the only cost effective solution. It would be possible to build an underpass, just not cost effective. Not for the amount of traffic that road would be likely to handle.

Zoo plans $130M expansion for African exhibit

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/print-edition/2013/07/05/scorecard-zoo-plans-130-million.html

Although the zoo has improved steadily over the last decade, it still seems behind a lot of it's peer city counterparts...This is great to see and I think a good indication of the health and prosperity of the city ("...the zoo had a record year in 2012, with 778,000 visitors..."). My wife and I bought season passes this year...

• Like 3

Here are a few article from various publication today.

New Winery venue to open in Nashville: From the NBJ.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2013/07/city-winery-plans-expansion-to-nashville.html

7 Million diverted to riverfront redevelopment: NBJ

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2013/07/mdha-to-shift-flood-funding-to.html

A partial explanation of the 703/705 Woodland project. From the Nashville Post

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/7/12/developer_mike_hampton_offers_a_brief_take_on_scrapped_woodland_project

Metro still pursuing locating African American Museum in old CC site. From the Tennessean

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130711/NEWS/307110090/2270/business

• Like 1

Project Type   Building Use   Status New Construction
Site Work
Paving Hotel / Motel Pre-Construction/Negotiated Sector Location Est. Start Date Private Nashville, TN Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Description

Site work and new construction of a national chain hospitality development in Nashville. Design development plans call for the construction of an 11-story, 200-bed hotel. ...

Could this be the HIlton Garden Inn?

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

From the "Shouldadonethisalongtimeago" file, under the "Betterlatethannever" tab... 

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130712/NEWS/307120123/Nashville-Rowing-Club-plans-move-downtown

Part of the riverfont parks master plan is to construct Cayce Landing - a boat access point - very near this very site.  Cayce Landing is supposed to be built just under the Silliman Evans Bridge (the I-24 overpass) as part of one of the 19-or-so components of the Riverfront master plan.  That would then free up the current boat dock in Shelby Park for more people-centered things like this than is currently the case, where trailers haulting boats are always congested in that little part of the park.  But it sounds like this group is forging ahead rather than waiting for ever for the city to finally switch back over to the East Bank.

In other similar park news, a bunch of frisbee golf enthusiasts are raising money to install a frisbee golf (or disk golf, I don't know the difference) course in that hill by the old Naval Reserve Training place off of Davidson Street before you get to VinnyLinks.