Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

17 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

You would clean up. Have it end somewhere, where there is axe throwing or chasing greased up pigs and it would clean up!

I want to see an axe throwing trailer around town!!!

Then in the summer maybe a hot yoga trailer that only runs during the daytime.

• Haha 1

I’m not absolutely against the concept as long as it is in the right place. However, I do wish they would be somewhat tasteful. The tractor really plays into the country-bumpkin stereotypes of Nashville’s past. 

I also understand that it is legal to operate most vehicles on public roads out of a necessity, so I don’t think this is a lobbying effort on the part of this industry. The same state law that allows a tractor to operate on the road between cornfields in Obion County is the same state law that allows them on downtown streets in nashville or Memphis.  I do, however, wonder how they get away with their passengers not wearing seatbelts and being in an open-air trailer. I don’t believe I could legally attach a trailer or camper to the back of my SUV and drive people around on it, so I would think that might be a possible strategy for enforcement. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Apparently the program WILL NOT allow me to correct the spelling of the word "hagus" which should begin with the letter 'f' no matter how many times I try.  Some dogooder jerk spellcheck-nazi must have assumed I was attempting a homosexual criticism and was too ignorant to program an allowance for Latin terms which only sound like hate speech.

From that list my choice would be tilia cordata (for the flowers/fragrance). 

One tree I'd like to see more of is Stewartia pseudocamellia, do you know where any of these are being used locally and how they're working out?  

5 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Apparently the program WILL NOT allow me to correct the spelling of the word "hagus" which should begin with the letter 'f' no matter how many times I try.  Some dogooder jerk spellcheck-nazi must have assumed I was attempting a homosexual criticism and was too ignorant to program an allowance for Latin terms which only sound like hate speech.

Hahaha... no YOU'RE a hagus species!!!  

Wired has an interesting article on automation in the construction industry, which is lagging for a number of reasons.  We really need to do something about construction costs, overruns etc.  It seems to cost much more to build large projects here than in other countries (particularly subways/light rail).

According to the article, where robots come into their own in construction is in highly complex projects and ones that keep changing.  This suggests that we could retain some interesting features now being tossed out because of costs.  Frankly I'm surprised that 3D printing hasn't already made ornamentation extremely cheap, or maybe people are just taught anti-ornamentation dogma in architect schools.  A 3D printer ought to be able to toss out a Beaux Arts facade pretty effortlessly.

The Van Antwerp Building, Beaux-Arts style with a terra ...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

You have a rather peculiar sense of humour Bna.  Do you even know what a hagus is or what it tastes like?

No earthly idea.  lol

And yes, I've got a very peculiar sense of humor... no denying that!  But I was just laughing at your joke about someone mistaking a latin plant name for an insult... or at least... I thought it was a joke!

A phonetic similarity for PUNishing you.   Actually spelled haggis....It is a baked sheep's belly stuffed with savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock.  In botanical terms, the Latin "hagus' is the nomenclature for 'beech'.

Edited by Baronakim
AS YOU CAN SEE THE BLASTED PROGRAM WILL NOT LET ME TYPE F...AGUS!

19 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

A phonetic similarity for PUNishing you.   Actually spelled haggis....It is a baked sheep's belly stuffed with savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock.  In botanical terms, the Latin "hagus' is the nomenclature for 'beech'.

Ohhh, I misunderstood... I thought we were talking about some plant called 'hagus'... but Haggis?  Yes I'm very aware of haggis...and  I actually quite like it!  It admittedly looks a bit horrific coming out in that ballooned stomach, but it's think it's very delicious.  I suppose I have  a peculiar appetite as well.  haha :)