SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

On 9/12/2003 at 9:49 AM, willy said:

Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World superstore in Hampton's new Power Plant center. It will have a 110,000-square-foot store and an outdoors-themed restaurant.

Galyan's Trading Co. is opening May 2004 at Virginia Beach's Town Center. It will be a two-story, 85,000-square-foot store with a 45-foot rock climbing wall and golf simulators.

######'s Sporting Goods just entered into this market with a 53,000-square-foot store in Va.Beach

Sorry, is there a connection with this Southpark thread? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here are the Macys locations in NC 2 in Charlotte Southpark and Northlake, one in Greensboro at Friendly Center, one in Durham at the Streets at Southpoint, 2 in Raleigh one in Crabtree Valley and one in Triangle Town Center and one in Fayetteville's Cross Creek Mall.

I would say the risk of closure would be greatest at Fayetteville, possibly Northlake and Triangle Town Center both weaker malls and conversions to Bloomingdales at either Southpark and maybe Crabtree Valley.  

Other states with more Macys will be affected much harder than NC like Georgia.  I do think even if one Macys is converted to Bloomingdales that one Macys remains in the market could make sense.  

Full-throated agreement.  No Saks in Charlotte seems odd to me as well.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Richhamleigh, DC said:

Full-throated agreement.  No Saks in Charlotte seems odd to me as well.  

I don't think Saks is coming anytime soon. They are financially struggling and have only opened 12 stores since 2010, 4 of which are already closed. They need to focus on optimizing the profitability of their current stores versus trying to expand. 

Their last expansion to mid-size cities was the 2001 - 2004 range where they entered Birmingham,  Indianapolis, Richmond, and Raleigh. Since then... 43% of their new stores were unsuccessful entering new markets and closed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/28/2024 at 10:39 AM, Prodev said:

🤔 That post that you quoted is nearly 21 years old BTW.

Wow! So I can scratch my comment? How did an old posting like that get mixed up in this discussion? Oh well. I will check dates in the future. Thanks for letting me know that you think that I am likely an idiot. 😂

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

As of today:  

•Ann Taylor has closed

•Tommy John has closed 

•Vince Camuto is now open in their new spot next to Belk

•Chanel is coming soon where Boss was—Boss is in a temporary spot near Dillard’s until they finish their permanent spot next to Lululemon

•Swarovski is opening its permanent spot near the food court across from Sunglass Hut (Kind of a weird spot IMO)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

By the way,  does anyone agree that it macys leaves, they should put Belk where macys was and put Bloomingdales where Belk is?  That would make more sense to me.

I think Simon Mall would have to facilitate that, buying out the respective buildings (Macys and Belk each own their structures) and helping pay for the tenant upfit to make it attractive to swap. Otherwise, there is no reason for Belk to give up the asset they own. 

Macy's would also probably be most profitable converting the Macy's to a Bloomingdales in the structure they own with upfit / renovations. A big part of the decision to shed locations at Macy's right now is where can they get more cash from selling the store (where they own the real estate) than operating it (such as the Union Square location in San Francisco closing -> worth more sold for $$ SF real estate than as a store for them). This also puts at bay activist investors that want to take over Macy's and largely liquidate for the real estate Macy's owns. 

Personally though, I think Charlotte is a roll of the dice for a Bloomingdales given their expansion plans are so small (only 15 stores, with no detail if those are full size stores or just the mini Bloomie's). Bloomingdale's has glaring gaps in tons of markets like Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Seattle, Tampa, Minneapolis, Portland, San Gabriel Valley area of SoCal, hyper wealthy CA enclaves like Santa Barbara and Monterey / Carmel by the Sea, Naples Florida, metro Detroit, Denver, Austin, et... lots of competition and anybody's guess if they will focus on adding Bloomingdales to net new metros or focus on solidifying markets they are strong in like NY, CA, and FL. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Temeteron said:

•Vince Camuto is now open in their new spot next to Belk

Not to be annoying but it's just VINCE not Vince Camuto. Two separate brands. Unless I'm missing something. The wesbite lists VINCE but not Vince Camuto. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Temeteron said:

By the way,  does anyone agree that it macys leaves, they should put Belk where macys was and put Bloomingdales where Belk is?  That would make more sense to me.

Belks owns that store and land underneath pretty sure so that wont happen.  I just hope the Macys is converted to a Bloomingdales especially for this mall if that does not happen then I hope Macy's closes and is replace with mini anchors or another store like Von Maur.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Belks owns that store and land underneath pretty sure so that wont happen.  I just hope the Macys is converted to a Bloomingdales especially for this mall if that does not happen then I hope Macy's closes and is replace with mini anchors or another store like Von Maur.  

They will have to do something because that Macy*s is always dead when I go in.  Either they change it to Bloomingdale’s or they start carrying better merchandise like the other Macy*s in bigger markets.  

• Like 2

I didn't realize it still existed. I often wonder who still shops at those 20th century styled skincare/perfume shops  L'Occitane comes to mind...regardless of what city or mall I am in, L'Occitane always seems to be empty outside of the employees. The only time I saw a L'Occitane that was full of shoppers was at a mall in Hong Kong near the boundary with the Mainland - Mainland shoppers were stuffing their purchases into large hard-sided suitcases to sell over the border. 

Crabtree & Evelyn is another store that comes to mind - but I don't think they have brick and mortar stores anymore. I bought my mom this really nice gift set from them maybe 15 or so years ago and she said it smelled like old lady. 

Aesop and Le Labo are now in, but I can't see them coming to SouthPark. They seem to prefer locations inside mixed-use development in areas with really high constant foot traffic. 

4 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I didn't realize it still existed. I often wonder who still shops at those 20th century styled skincare/perfume shops  L'Occitane comes to mind...regardless of what city or mall I am in, L'Occitane always seems to be empty outside of the employees. The only time I saw a L'Occitane that was full of shoppers was at a mall in Hong Kong near the boundary with the Mainland - Mainland shoppers were stuffing their purchases into large hard-sided suitcases to sell over the border. 

Crabtree & Evelyn is another store that comes to mind - but I don't think they have brick and mortar stores anymore. I bought my mom this really nice gift set from them maybe 15 or so years ago and she said it smelled like old lady. 

Aesop and Le Labo are now in, but I can't see them coming to SouthPark. They seem to prefer locations inside mixed-use development in areas with really high constant foot traffic. 

Aesop 🤤

So what's this I'm seeing about Balenciaga opening here? I mean...EXCUSE ME? Consider me intrigued by Simon to get this here in Charlotte. Although I think Ferragamo, Bottega, Hermes, Cartier make better sense, it is still huge news. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

So what's this I'm seeing about Balenciaga opening here? I mean...EXCUSE ME? Consider me intrigued by Simon to get this here in Charlotte. Although I think Ferragamo, Bottega, Hermes, Cartier make better sense, it is still huge news. 

I saw that too! So bizarre.  Some of these brands open in Charlotte for exposure but doesn’t mean they’ll stay.  We will see what happens. Overall I think Charlotte (South Park) is doing well with luxury options.  They should bring back Billy Reid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

Wow!! $360 for a pair of tightie whities!! 😄

https://www.balenciaga.com/en-us/racer-briefs-white-black-7669434B7B29060.html

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Article in the O with some deets on the new LV at SP.  Says they now carry the full “Louis Vuitton Universe”.  I don’t know if that’s everything or what terminology they use for what, but it looks impressive.  I likely won’t ever see the inside.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article287097650.html

IMG_4529.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks like a new fortress with minimal windows to peer inside. I too won't grace the inside. Too expensive. But cool for those that have the disposable income to drop on clothes like that. That side of the mall is window shopping for me haha.

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Looks like a new fortress with minimal windows to peer inside. I too won't grace the inside. Too expensive. But cool for those that have the disposable income to drop on clothes like that. That side of the mall is window shopping for me haha.

I'll go inside, doesn't mean I'll buy anything, but it's not a private club, you can browse, just prepare to have a hole stared through your head by the staff. 

• Haha 3

The average income and net worth of people who shop at "luxury" aspirational brands located in shopping malls is exponentially lower than one would expect. 

People who are actually wealthy either buy minimal brands off the rack and pay to have it tailored (often with a personal tailor) in the case of clothing or fly off to New York, Milan,  Paris or Los Angeles to go to a small store you have never heard of that is open "by appointment only." 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2