SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

I stand by what I said way back Macy's has ruined every department store chain they bought.   Carson Pirie Scott, Hechts,  Rich's, Burdines, Foleys, Joske etc. 

I agree inside it looks like a TJ Maxx and I would prefer to shop there quite honestly.  Maybe they will switch it up to Bloomingdales and shrink the store so some other merchant can come into the mall. 

• Like 4

On 9/22/2023 at 8:36 AM, CLT2014 said:

Eh, outside of the Northeast and a few flagship stores, a lot of Macy*s in this country are marginally nicer than a T.J.Maxx, with far worse prices. The conditions of Macy*s in very affluent markets like Beverly Hills, Scottsdale, et.. are pretty similar to SouthPark with stained ceiling tiles, broken floor tiles, stained brown carpet, and disorganized merchandise all over the place and par for the course for most of the brand.  The company's strategy has shifted away from investing in the physical Macy*s stores as they focus on Omni-Channel investments and improving their supply chain for online shopping. They also are focused on investing in off-mall locations and they don't have the cash on hand to invest in older stores that need to be refurbished like SouthPark, while also executing on their digital investments.

Macy's Inc is also bringing the Macy*s nameplate down market in their investor materials with an emphasis on their private labels like Alfani, Bar III, And Now This, et.. to improve margins as they compete against Target, T.J.Maxx, Amazon, et. and keeping focus on Bloomingdales as their upscale store that carries luxury  brands where people shop in person. Macy*s is also being refocused as an online store (convenience) that also has physical locations, while Bloomingdales is still positioned to focus on the in store experience. No investor materials associate Macy*s with luxury or premium any longer and they position the brand as solidly mass-middle. 

The core positioning statement Macy's Inc is using for the Macy*s brand and Bloomingdales brand are very different:

• "Macy*s offers a high-quality assortment of market and private brands created and curated to inspire our customers while providing them VALUE and seamless convenience." Big emphasis on "market" and "value"
  • This contrasts to Bloomingdales that offers "Premium luxury designers to emerging contemporary labels and beloved private labels, in a space to discover and indulge in your own unique style."

Long story short, Macy*s at SouthPark won't be moving upscale. At the very least we can hope they might clean it up a bit or replace it with Bloomingdales. If it stays under the Macy*s name, expect the same private label mass-middle brands to grace the majority of the shelves. 

We're at a much better chance & position as a market of having a Bloomingdale's at SouthPark to be honest.  The fact that SouthPark is basically a single-story version of its sister property Lenox Square then it shouldn't be a surprise that Bloomingdale's is a natural fit.

• Like 1

A Calfornia lifestyle brand is coming to nearby Phillips Place  Jenni Kayne.   Another win for Phillips Place. 

""California lifestyle brand Jenni Kayne plans to open its 1,653-square-foot store there on Oct. 7, according to a press release. As CBJ reported back in the spring, it will carry a collection of apparel, accessories, furniture and home goods as well as the brand’s newly launched beauty and skincare line, Oak Essentials.

The store’s minimalist design features the brand’s signature coastal aesthetic, with a light and bright interior, solid wood floors and natural textures.""

when I need a $75 mens cashmere beanie I am there for sure. 

Jenni Kayne store sets opening at SouthPark's Phillips Place - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

A Calfornia lifestyle brand is coming to nearby Phillips Place  Jenni Kayne.   Another win for Phillips Place. 

""California lifestyle brand Jenni Kayne plans to open its 1,653-square-foot store there on Oct. 7, according to a press release. As CBJ reported back in the spring, it will carry a collection of apparel, accessories, furniture and home goods as well as the brand’s newly launched beauty and skincare line, Oak Essentials.

The store’s minimalist design features the brand’s signature coastal aesthetic, with a light and bright interior, solid wood floors and natural textures.""

when I need a $75 mens cashmere beanie I am there for sure. 

Jenni Kayne store sets opening at SouthPark's Phillips Place - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Never heard but just looked at their site.  They’ll probably kill it here.  

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

Never heard but just looked at their site.  They’ll probably kill it here.  

We are in late-stage capitalism as proven by this: Kids' Fisherman Sweater – Jenni Kayne. $125 for something that might fit a kid for one season, assuming they don't outgrow it before the end of the season - it's absurd.

• Haha 2

On 10/6/2023 at 5:30 PM, Temeteron said:

Palmetto Moon and Pure have both closed at SouthPark (thank God).  Also, Louis Vuitton is expanding again in its same spot.  Seems like they are doing very well.  

That opens two massive spaces in front of the "luxury" wing of Belk. This is a critical corridor IMO, and I would push to either move Chicos from the Nordstrom wing to one of the spaces, or go for a mid-luxury/upscale retailer not seen in Charlotte yet, like Club Monaco or Ted Baker. I would then take the old Chico's space, break it into two, put in Ferragamo and maybe something like Reformation. There are two smaller spots in the mall also open, and I would look at another jeweler like Breitling or IWC or Hublot. 

As for LV...I'd see them push for what Nashville has with the addition of fragrance, timepieces/jewelry, and maybe some apparel. 

Again, wild to think ZARA may be coming here and what the gymnastics will be to combine spaces. 

Edited by Rufus
Forgot to add LV
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

That opens two massive spaces in front of the "luxury" wing of Belk. This is a critical corridor IMO, and I would push to either move Chicos from the Nordstrom wing to one of the spaces, or go for a mid-luxury/upscale retailer not seen in Charlotte yet, like Club Monaco or Ted Baker. I would then take the old Chico's space, break it into two, put in Ferragamo and maybe something like Reformation. There are two smaller spots in the mall also open, and I would look at another jeweler like Breitling or IWC or Hublot. 

As for LV...I'd see them push for what Nashville has with the addition of fragrance, timepieces/jewelry, and maybe some apparel. 

Again, wild to think ZARA may be coming here and what the gymnastics will be to combine spaces. 

Yeah there will be a lot of moving around that’s for sure!  I’ve been saying this for forever but I still think Club Monaco deserves a spot in SP! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 5:30 PM, Temeteron said:

Palmetto Moon and Pure have both closed at SouthPark (thank God).  Also, Louis Vuitton is expanding again in its same spot.  Seems like they are doing very well.  

The former Pure space is getting taken by Vince....I guess Vince is already in the mall, and is relocating/expanding.

https://www.vince.com/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, atlrvr said:

The former Pure space is getting taken by Vince....I guess Vince is already in the mall, and is relocating/expanding.

https://www.vince.com/

That’s nice but kind of a weird spot for it.  I feel like the more mainstream stores should be next to Belk (ex. Coach or Anny Taylor).  

Edited by Temeteron

4 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Also, looking like South Park is getting a Chanel boutique, though it's going into the current Hugo Boss space.  Not sure if that means Hugo Boss is closing, or maybe moving down into the soon the soon to be vacant (slightly larger) Vince space.

Sounds like it’ll be a Chanel cosmetics only.  That space is too small for it to have the full line. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Also, looking like South Park is getting a Chanel boutique, though it's going into the current Hugo Boss space.  Not sure if that means Hugo Boss is closing, or maybe moving down into the soon the soon to be vacant (slightly larger) Vince space.

I'd be surprised to see BOSS leave. They have been in major expansion mode the last couple of years and have returned to some relevance. Leaving a market like Charlotte doesn't make sense with their other actions. Then again, Scotch & Soda came and went very quickly, so crazy things do happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

I'd be surprised to see BOSS leave. They have been in major expansion mode the last couple of years and have returned to some relevance. Leaving a market like Charlotte doesn't make sense with their other actions. Then again, Scotch & Soda came and went very quickly, so crazy things do happen. 

Scotch and soda was brand new and didn’t have the following in the US as it did in Europe.  People’s fashion (or lack of) in the U.S. especially in the south is very plain Jane.  Yes it has changed over the past 20 years but it’s still not as loud and chic as other parts of the world.  What I don’t understand is even “safe” brands like Ralph Lauren and Billy Reid didn’t last either.  Doesn’t make sense to me. 

37 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Scotch and soda was brand new and didn’t have the following in the US as it did in Europe.  People’s fashion (or lack of) in the U.S. especially in the south is very plain Jane.  Yes it has changed over the past 20 years but it’s still not as loud and chic as other parts of the world.  What I don’t understand is even “safe” brands like Ralph Lauren and Billy Reid didn’t last either.  Doesn’t make sense to me. 

To the Billy Reid instance -- I think it was ahead of its time here. If you look at their stores now, it's wild that Charlotte doesn't have a store anymore. Every comparable metro has a Billy Reid, basically. But, when they were here in 2006, it was so ahead of what Southpark even thought they could host, and I think the price points scared people off. Now, I think they would make a killing here, although I no longer see them fitting in at SP. Rather, Philips Place or South End could be viable. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Rufus said:

To the Billy Reid instance -- I think it was ahead of its time here. If you look at their stores now, it's wild that Charlotte doesn't have a store anymore. Every comparable metro has a Billy Reid, basically. But, when they were here in 2006, it was so ahead of what Southpark even thought they could host, and I think the price points scared people off. Now, I think they would make a killing here, although I no longer see them fitting in at SP. Rather, Philips Place or South End could be viable. 

I loved/love Billy Reid and still have several things from there. I like that they’re more timeless in style.  I shopped there a bunch.  I did what I could, sorry.  The free bourbon was a nice draw too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently Lacoste is relocating to where Palmetto Moon was and will be significantly larger.   Also, Vince will be relocating to the old Pure spot next to Belk.  The remodeled and expanded Louis Vuitton won’t be open until spring and their temporary location is very small.  Surprised about that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Informative.  It looks like the retail space (not counting back room) is about 26’W x 39’D.  Anyone know another store in the mall that size for reference?

I forget what was here before, but the package identifies what space the store is going in

Screenshot_20231204_234922_Edge.jpg

It's either BOSS or TravisMathew, both of which I haven't heard of struggling lately...but, I wonder if one of them is moving to the VINCE space just two stores down since they are apparently moving. I would say BOSS would be the one moving, but I don't have any insider knowledge to confirm.