Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Wow, this is amazing news.  Rendering makes it appear that the small duplexes at the corner of Church and Osceola are included in the project. 

It looks like it includes the entire block - including the duplexes. It looks like the far building in the rendering has the number 420 on it, so unless the 10-story building is immediately south of the 12-story building and out of view in this rendering (although you can see where the roofline drops off) I am confused about the actual layout of the two projects. 

Awesome. Can someone map this all out?

Also, not to be nitpicky - is South Eola part of Thornton Park?

Technically South Eola is a distinct neighborhood from Thornton Park. It's general borders are Robinson to the north, Summerlin to the east, South to the, um, south, and Lake to the west.

With that said, I bet 4.99 out of 5 city residents have no idea there's an official neighborhood called South Eola and consider the area within its borders to be part of Thornton Park.

The way it's heading it's going to be night and day from the bungalows of Thornton Park.

SoEo it is!

Too many So's! We need to get more creative and come up with a more unique name like Tribeca, NYC (Triangle Below Canal St). I'll think of something... eventually.

And kudos to OBJ for the quality scoop.

Great map Alex.

If you added a layer for surface parking, I think you'd only have 3 significant areas:

- NW corner of Church and Osceola (undeveloped part of Citi Tower and Baptist Terrace)

- NW corner of Lake and Jackson (County Parking lot)

- NE corner of Lake and South (Osceola Brownstones residents Parking)

The only other significant area is the Monarch site (NE Corner of South and Liberty) which I don't believe is used as parking as it stands now.

The county lot is not going anywhere anytime soon - unless they were to build a garage there - it's necessary for all the employees and visitors to the building.  I always thought the parking lot on NE corner of Lake and South was for the nursing home/independent living facility next door - the brand of cars there don't seem to match the Osceola browstone demographic...If all of these proposals come to fruition, the only two real chunks that need to be filled to connect the whole area is the Monarch site and the area surrounding the Jackson (currently graveled and used as a lot for the construction crews for 420). Monarch site feels like it needs a taller building - being surrounded by South street, and a bunch of parking garages, I can't imagine it would be a nice place for townhomes.

Too many So's! We need to get more creative and come up with a more unique name like Tribeca, NYC (Triangle Below Canal St). I'll think of something... eventually.

Reboeo? Rectangle Below Eola? ;)  There was that whole "Eola Square" movement, too.

The county lot is not going anywhere anytime soon - unless they were to build a garage there - it's necessary for all the employees and visitors to the building.  I always thought the parking lot on NE corner of Lake and South was for the nursing home/independent living facility next door - the brand of cars there don't seem to match the Osceola browstone demographic...If all of these proposals come to fruition, the only two real chunks that need to be filled to connect the whole area is the Monarch site and the area surrounding the Jackson (currently graveled and used as a lot for the construction crews for 420). Monarch site feels like it needs a taller building - being surrounded by South street, and a bunch of parking garages, I can't imagine it would be a nice place for townhomes.

The 2nd building would wrap the Jackson.

The lot next to the Brownstones are for the nursing home. 

Someone is looking at the old W site for a tower. 

It looks like it includes the entire block - including the duplexes. It looks like the far building in the rendering has the number 420 on it, so unless the 10-story building is immediately south of the 12-story building and out of view in this rendering (although you can see where the roofline drops off) I am confused about the actual layout of the two projects. 

I was thinking the same thing.

Well, if built, it will allow that area to come full circle from the original failed Eola Place complex that was supposed to border The Jackson condo.

^Yes, interesting.  The rendering appears to be more like 12 stories.

The OBJ says the "520" consists of two buildings.  One is 10 stories and the other is 12 stories.  The rendering shows both buildings and they correspond to these heights.  These line up with the "420" currently under construction, so there will be a staircase of 9, 10, and 12 stories.  Also, the article says the 510 units are the two new buildings combined.  The 10 story building will have 200 units and the 12 story building will have 310 units.  I have no clue where the Sentinel is getting the 16 stories from.  The 10 and 12 match the rendering.

The OBJ says the "520" consists of two buildings.  One is 10 stories and the other is 12 stories.  The rendering shows both buildings and they correspond to these heights.  These line up with the "420" currently under construction, so there will be a staircase of 9, 10, and 12 stories.  Also, the article says the 510 units are the two new buildings combined.  The 10 story building will have 200 units and the 12 story building will have 310 units.  I have no clue where the Sentinel is getting the 16 stories from.  The 10 and 12 match the rendering.

How are both buildings in the rendering? The rendering shows one of the buildings from 520 and the other one in the background is Artisan 420.

How are both buildings in the rendering? The rendering shows one of the buildings from 520 and the other one in the background is Artisan 420.

Well, the article says the new 520 project is TWO buildings of 10 and 12 stories (200 and 310 units respectively).  I presumed, that's exactly what the rendering shows.  

420 is 9 stories and has 299 units, so clearly not one of the two buildings discussed. If the second building in the rendering is the 420, then there is a 10-story 200-unit building not shown.

Well, the article says the new 520 project is TWO buildings of 10 and 12 stories (200 and 310 units respectively).  I presumed, that's exactly what the rendering shows.  

420 is 9 stories and has 299 units, so clearly not one of the two buildings discussed. If the second building in the rendering is the 420, then there is a 10-story 200-unit building not shown.

Discussed already one page back...

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/51723-downtown-orlando-project-discussion/page-111

I hear ya.  Thanks.  Jack says the 10-story wraps around the Jackson.  It's still confusing to me, how the 420 at 9 stories has 299 units, and the 12-story on the next block (similar footprint) has 310 units (3 more floors and 11 more units).  That seems to indicate that either the new units will be larger, or there will be way more retail in the 520.  The developer has emphasized the retail in the new project, saying he wants the 520 to fill in the gaps and kick off a vibrant retail area in S Eola / Thornton.