E. Colonial between 436 and Primrose

Jernigan

East Colonial’s landmark Steak ‘n Shake, recently closed after ~60 years in business, will become a medical marijuana dispensary:
https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/08/31/steak-n-shake-orlando-fashion-square-med-marijuana.html

From OBJ (paywall)

There’s a missed opportunity in here somewhere ... weed & shoestring fries in the same location is a no-brainer!
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's gonna be interesting.  That's the furthest east I've seen the downtown style gentrification so to speak.  I felt this was going to be an interesting area.  Houses back that way are starting to get flipped and if the economy holds out, you'll start seeing the same thing you say in the Milk, and Curry Ford West areas there.   That said GOAA needs to stick a fork in the Colonial Promenade.  K&G is now Spirit Halloween, Sweet Tomatoes is gone, Tmobile will likely close and move to the Sprint building in front of Target.  I think that might just leave Sam Ash and Aerus as the only remaining tenants.  The plaza across the street with Fuddruckers is also losing tenants.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, codypet said:

That's gonna be interesting.  That's the furthest east I've seen the downtown style gentrification so to speak.  I felt this was going to be an interesting area.  Houses back that way are starting to get flipped and if the economy holds out, you'll start seeing the same thing you say in the Milk, and Curry Ford West areas there.   That said GOAA needs to stick a fork in the Colonial Promenade.  K&G is now Spirit Halloween, Sweet Tomatoes is gone, Tmobile will likely close and move to the Sprint building in front of Target.  I think that might just leave Sam Ash and Aerus as the only remaining tenants.  The plaza across the street with Fuddruckers is also losing tenants.

Too bad they can't sell it off. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jack said:

Too bad they can't sell it off. 

They're going through an RFP process for a new management company, hopefully someone who can breathe some life into the properties. 

You'd be surprised at how much information you can find here - https://orlandoairports.net/airport-business/  It looks like Sam Ash is only paying $10/sf including CAM and tax. 

• Like 1

Wow, you aren't kidding.  Am I read that correctly?  They're actually making money with that plaza in that condition!  And there's more tenants there than I thought.  Dealer 1 stop must be that place the does those fire sale on cars once a year.  

image.png.8291d21d9f28b763690aaf128a2e3498.png

Mattress One is gone now right?  The were also across the street and next to JoAnne's as well.  All gone.

T-Mobile is likely going to leave.

Sweet Tomatoes, the Library and K&G, Gone

Aerus and then a bunch of call centers and offices are operating I guess?

I don't know what Isabella Home Design is, but it looks like its getting a Certificate of Occupancy.

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

Welp the area is continuing its downward trend.  With the opening of Rooms to go in Millenia and UCF, the Rooms to go on Colonial East of Colonial Promenade, is now a Clearance center (Replacing the Clearance Center in Altamonte which is now abandoned.)

It’ll go nicely with the Dillard’s Clearance Center at OFS!

Anyway, let’s take a moment to remember the very first Rooms To Go in America was on East Colonial between Fern Creek and Bumby back when I was still young and pretty. Everybody sing: “It’s about value, it’s about time, for Rooms To Go.”

8 hours ago, codypet said:

Welp the area is continuing its downward trend.  With the opening of Rooms to go in Millenia and UCF, the Rooms to go on Colonial East of Colonial Promenade, is now a Clearance center (Replacing the Clearance Center in Altamonte which is now abandoned.)

Fortunately there’s still a Kane’s and Havertys within walking distance.  

If that stretch is getting dowdy for RTG, it’s hard to imagine Haverty’s sticking it out. I wonder if they are waiting out a lease or something. Or maybe they’re handling a lot of online orders from the Baldwin Parkers.

It reminds me of Dave Collier trying to sell Jags on West Colonial after it went downhill just because it was close to his house in Spring Lake Manor. That dog didn’t hunt and eventually he just sold out and retired. The new owners promptly decamped for Millenia.

• 3 months later...

Sprouts on its way to Colonial Plaza. Article doesn't say exactly where, but the old Stein Mart location seems the most likely spot. That's a good add for the plaza and the 'hood in general.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-orlando-colonial-plaza-sprouts-conns-20201229-g7mmx5ecorhvhpcr6snhdefmmm-story.html

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 3:48 PM, bqknight said:

Looks like Aldi is looking to open where Lucky's was on Colonial (which we knew) - but there is now a timetable - "by Summer". 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-luckys-stores-publix-aldi-20210128-4eevm7ukbfgf7lnrwq6axjjkvq-story.html

It would have been fun if they’d put a Publix in Colonial Landing...

52 minutes ago, codypet said:

I would have settled for a Kmart.  Oh wait what year is it?!

The Maguire Target obliterated that Kmart when it opened about 1990. Btw, the Kmart was originally a JM Fields when Herndon Plaza opened about 1972-73 and what became the Publix/Lucky’s was a Pantry Pride. The Target was a Gold Triangle.

There was also a Miller’s where Burlington is now. It was essentially a trashy Kmart.

• 3 months later...

What may have been the oldest remaining Pizza Hut restaurant in Orlando is no more. Although I’ll miss their lunch buffet, I’d gotten out of the habit during COVID and, when doing cheap pizza, the Domino’s across from the gay IHOP in the old Porter Paints is oh so convenient to Eola.

The dear departed Hut was in the Maguire Target parking lot.

Am I the only one who misses the Garden Center at Target? That was the entrance I always used at the Maguire store. There’s always Palmer’s on W. Church St. since I don’t do Home Depot but I often just picked up small house plants while doing a Target run. Makes you wonder where Bullseye can find a convenient Bush these days…

• Like 1

• 2 months later...