E. Colonial between 436 and Primrose

Jernigan

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Tear it down and put up apartments.

Seems to be the going trend.

Maybe some mixed use thing with offices, etc. 

@smileguy says apartments are a no go that close with the FAA. Mixed-use with offices and some retail might work, if they add some greenery (apparently trees are an issue, too) and a non-strip center layout. 

I’m not sure if Baldwin Parkers ever frequent that ‘hood anymore and, depending on whatever comes of OFS, perhaps we are doomed to Amscots and 7-Elevens.

27 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

@smileguy says apartments are a no go that close with the FAA. Mixed-use with offices and some retail might work, if they add some greenery (apparently trees are an issue, too) and a non-strip center layout. 

I’m not sure if Baldwin Parkers ever frequent that ‘hood anymore and, depending on whatever comes of OFS, perhaps we are doomed to Amscots and 7-Elevens.

The shape and layout of the property looks like a good match for a family fun park....

ecolonialdr.png

Go-kart track, miniature golf, maybe some rides, concessions, boxcar park, paddle boat rentals on the little lake.... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

First, Sweet Tomatoes and now the Herndon Branch library. GOAA needs to come up with something better for that stretch than a strip center:

https://bungalower.com/2020/05/19/orange-county-library-system-to-close-herndon-branch/

From Bungalower 

They should have moved the library to the Fashion Square mall a decade ago 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

They should have moved the library to the Fashion Square mall a decade ago 

Are they still planning to level most of Fashion Square?

The article seemed to be concentrating on Baldwin Park users. Assuming space in “downtown “ BP is probably too small and too pricey, I wonder if anything is available over on Corrine Drive? 

Another thought - have they got a tenant for the Pier 1 space at Colonial Plaza yet?

Edited by spenser1058

I also wonder how long La Cantina will want to hold out in that neighborhood. Given it’s privately owned and who’d want to buy the space they may find themselves between a rock and a hard place.

It reminds me of the House of Beef, a longtime upscale eatery that looked oddly out of  place at FL50 and JYP. They finally gave up the ghost but even they had the Country Club houses backed up behind them. The Baldwin Park crowd strikes me as more likely to go to WP to eat.

I assume the sixty-somethings may keep going out of habit but has anyone seen a millennial (or even an x’er)there lately?

14 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Is this GOAA owned? If so might be a good time to offload to a developer to help keep the lights on at MCO

The best they can do is lease it. Most land owned by authority's are bought using FAA funds. FAA restrict sales of property purchased with their dollars. 

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I also wonder how long La Cantina will want to hold out in that neighborhood. Given it’s privately owned and who’d want to buy the space they may find themselves between a rock and a hard place.

It reminds me of the House of Beef, a longtime upscale eatery that looked oddly out of  place at FL50 and JYP. They finally gave up the ghost but even they had the Country Club houses backed up behind them. The Baldwin Park crowd strikes me as more likely to go to WP to eat.

I assume the sixty-somethings may keep going out of habit but has anyone seen a millennial (or even an x’er)there lately?

I'm 36 (millennial) and ate there for the first time just before Covid.  2-3 hour wait.  Well worth the wait IMO too.  I went because a couple of my friends recommended it.  I think they're good for a while.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When the E. Colonial Steak ‘n Shake closed after being a Colonialtown fixture going back to the late ‘50’s, the polite fiction was that they were just looking for a new franchisee and all would be well.

That fig leaf is now removed as there’s a For Lease sign out front. I suppose they could still find someone to run it as a burgery but that’s looking much less likely.

Thankfully, BEEFY soldiers on better than ever!

I also noted Chick-Fil-A at CP is now beige instead of white (it may have been for a while and I just wasn’t paying attention).

Nevertheless, @JFW657 will no doubt be pleased that there’s a little less whitewash out that way.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

When the E. Colonial Steak ‘n Shake closed after being a Colonialtown fixture going back to the late ‘50’s, the polite fiction was that they were just looking for a new franchisee and all would be well.

That fig leaf is now removed as there’s a For Lease sign out front. I suppose they could still find someone to run it as a burgery but that’s looking much less likely.

Thankfully, BEEFY soldiers on better than ever!

I also noted Chick-Fil-A at CP is now beige instead of white (it may have been for a while and I just wasn’t paying attention).

Nevertheless, @JFW657 will no doubt be pleased that there’s a little less whitewash out that way.

"Burgery". Great word. Makes me want a burger. 

Maybe this place is looking to expand into the Orlando market....

https://theburgerycompany.com/

I don't recall the Chick-Fil-A ever being all white. 

Don't know how old this Google Street View image is, but it wasn't white then....

cpchikfila.png

But I do hate whitewashed buildings. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:01 PM, spenser1058 said:

I found out about it shortly before I broke up with my ex, so I haven't had an opportunity to go but want to.  When my parents moved to town for 2 years, I told them and I think they went 4 or 5 times.