MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

http://orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=1985

Although I am very pissed the city gave into those greedy illogical church owners this does create a nice size area of empty land to be developed that will benefit the soccer stadium. Realistically no one would of ever put there money on any extravagant project on the west side of the previous stadium location. Now, being closer to the core of downtown, Amway, and being sandwiched between City View and the new stadium will give developers a lot more incentive to build.

My hope is that during future soccer seasons, with their church being right next door to the stadium, they will experience such extreme noise levels, that it will make holding services & other activites on game days impossible. I also hope that the vehicular traffic & rowdy crowds walking to & from the stadium both next to & cutting across their property, will create other inconveniences for them to have to contend with.

I'm kinda wondering if this move by the city might result in the church owners suddenly realizing that their chance at a big money grab is slipping through their fingers, & cause them to suddenly soften their position & accept the city's offer. Which I also hope will suddenly drop to about half of what it was.

• Like 1

This is a good decision by the city.  I do hope development opportunities arise sooner rather than later on that now freed up plot of land, and maybe something with substantial height.  Parramore has always been an opportunity to build up higher, as it is farther away from the flight paths at the executive airport. 

• Like 1

Does this new site plan involve the removable of S. Parramore Ave?  Essentially, the stadium will front Parramore Heritage Park?

Based on the renderings (from what I gather), the stadium may actually be replacing Parramore Heritage Park.

See my above comment

Ah, so this new location is where the City purchased from BBIF last week? If so, Buddy really will do anything to get it built, bad real estate transactions or not. To refresh, City sold to BBIF in 2005 for $850K, and BBIF sold it back to the City for $2 million!! On top of that, the City loaned BBIF more than $800K back in 2005 for developments that were never fulfilled, which BBIF has until 2036 to repay.

Edited by tennis32801

Ah, so this new location is where the City purchased from BBIF last week? If so, Buddy really will do anything to get it built, bad real estate transactions or not. To refresh, City sold to BBIF in 2005 for $850K, and BBIF sold it back to the City for $2 million!! On top of that, the City loaned BBIF more than $800K back in 2005 for developments that were never fulfilled, which BBIF has until 2036 to repay.

i believe that is across the street.  This appears to be right on top of the park.  at least they don't have to dig!

Run the LYMMO every 5 minutes before and after the game. Give a map and schedule to every ticket holder and plaster it on the website. Give specific Lymmo instructions from Wall St, Church St and the SunRail stations as well. The investment has been made, time to maximize it.

i believe that is across the street.  This appears to be right on top of the park.  at least they don't have to dig!

It looks like the BBIF land is where the stadium is now. 

I wonder what they are going to do with the park? If it was paid for by a federal grant, it may get very complicated.

Anyone notice that the stadium is on the retention pond that was built in the mid 2000's? And that parramore ave will be shut down where the stadium is? The City may be using this as a bargaining chip with the church. 

I was wondering that too. Maybe the city is hoping they'll relent now that they no longer have a bargaining position.

Sunshine you just made me literally laugh out loud.

But, if we didn't spend money to build things, only to spend money to tear them down, in order to spend money to build something new, we'd have to have a smaller city government and lower taxes. Oh. wait.... 

Aren't the owners of this Church the same people who own Mamma B's?  

Don't get me wrong, I love this city and I think Buddy Dyer is doing a great job. 

Edited by RedStar25

Closet_Urbanite mentioned what I had been thinking in regards to the Terry Ave southern extension which is already in the plans to not just pass under the 408 but I think link to it as well when the Trans4mation gets here. Not sure, have to dig up the plans I saw.That whole corner is going to be different with huge retention ponds and roads connecting in totally new ways.

What I saw was the open space on either side of the railroad tracks by the old amway (old fair grounds, if you like) that was in line with Terry Ave if one wanted to perhaps bridge over them connecting the northern Terry Ave extension that is in the works for the old amway site.

So I think this new position isn't just a bargaining ploy, but really a better choice.

With the new Police Headquarters building on the old Lynx site, OC Stadium, the Magic entertainment complex, and a new Fire Station 2 being built, suppose might as well add the Citrus Bowl renovation, lots of change and dirt flying even before the Trans4mation or possible UCF campus gets started.

West side is poised to blossom I think.

• Like 2