MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Those are the latest renderings, from what I can gather. It mentions every feature they said they wanted in the stadium with the roof over the north end, which was what they said they would do if they got the 110 million. The south end will have a party deck as well. The rake on the roof is mega, mega low.

Looking over the wikipedia entry for soccer stadiums in the US, I'd be pretty happy with something along the lines of the BBVA Compass stadium in Houston that opened in 2012 for $95m.  Still, the "good" stadiums seem to be in the $110-$130m range.  I'm a little bit concerned that the Lions will have a generic home for the price tag we're looking at.  Then again, maybe the lack of any parking will help.  

And it doesn't have to be state of the art.  It just needs to have good curb appeal, a great playing surface, and some modern concessions/concourses.  This unfortunately is going to be on the cheap side no matter how you slice it.  I just hope they don't cut too many corners and it still looks good.  I'd really love to see the area on the West side of I-4 become a sports & entertainment district, even with a couple of mid-rise to high-rise condos.  

Edited by CalvinEggnog

We will have more than 85M now that the Florida Senate approved the stadium funding bill. It could be up to 110M.

http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1838

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/blogs/political-pulse/os-stadium-bill-clears-the-florida-legislature-20140502,0,1284544.post

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 3

I agree with the prior post that this doesn't have to be state of the art - it just has to be fan-friendly.  The shorter game schedule, brisk (comercial break-free) match time, and overall fan engagement of professional soccer make a lot of the amenities of the Amway Center useless as it relates to making this a great place to go.  The OCSC fans don't need 5 sit down restaurants, an indoor playground, and or a high end roof-top lounge.  Don't get me wrong, I love how the Amway Center is an experience itself beyond the event occuring in the arena, but those additional things aren't "fan-friendly" to soccer supporters. 

The way to create a great environment there is to maximize keeping fans in the seats and volume.  That means a low-raked roof, a specially designed supporter section (standing rails), plenty of take-away food and beverage areas (not sit down), a 360 degree concourse, and plenty of restrooms. None of these things cost a lot of money.  I'd say the only high-tech items that are truly necessary would be a large video board and video advetising along the sidelines like you see in the high level leages.

The tougher question will be how to make the gameday environment as festive as possible while in that particular location.  I'm sure the bars around church street will fill up, and I assume they will shut down the area around the stadium during events like they do for the Amway Center. I've heard vague rumors about using the park to the west for a tailgating area (there are plans to move the fire station), which would be huge...

• Like 1

I agree with the prior post that this doesn't have to be state of the art - it just has to be fan-friendly.  The shorter game schedule, brisk (comercial break-free) match time, and overall fan engagement of professional soccer make a lot of the amenities of the Amway Center useless as it relates to making this a great place to go.  The OCSC fans don't need 5 sit down restaurants, an indoor playground, and or a high end roof-top lounge.  Don't get me wrong, I love how the Amway Center is an experience itself beyond the event occuring in the arena, but those additional things aren't "fan-friendly" to soccer supporters. 

The way to create a great environment there is to maximize keeping fans in the seats and volume.  That means a low-raked roof, a specially designed supporter section (standing rails), plenty of take-away food and beverage areas (not sit down), a 360 degree concourse, and plenty of restrooms. None of these things cost a lot of money.  I'd say the only high-tech items that are truly necessary would be a large video board and video advetising along the sidelines like you see in the high level leages.

The tougher question will be how to make the gameday environment as festive as possible while in that particular location.  I'm sure the bars around church street will fill up, and I assume they will shut down the area around the stadium during events like they do for the Amway Center. I've heard vague rumors about using the park to the west for a tailgating area (there are plans to move the fire station), which would be huge...

Couldn't of said it better myself. Basketball is a TOTALLY different game, so in NO way should the new stadium resemble the Amway Center. The soccer stadium will be focused more on the game that's going on in the stadium, not kids playing at "Stuff's Castle", or people lounging up at the Grey Goose Lounge in the third quarter while their home team is in the building playing a live game...People don't "hang out" at soccer games like they do at NBA game, they watch and support their team from the stands where its suppose to be watched.

It is beyond me how any rational person could try to compare that spruced up cracker box of a stadium we've got to what they're building in Atlanta.

Obviously, a brand spanking new, 1.2 billion dollar, state-of-the-art palace with every amenity conceivable, covered by a retractable roof that looks like something out of Star Wars...

22615865_SA.jpg

...is going to impress the people at MLS just a tad more than...

CitrusBowlRendering7.JPG

... Puh - LEASE!!!!  :rofl:

And this guy is a County Commissioner?????  :shok:

• Like 2

Looking over the wikipedia entry for soccer stadiums in the US, I'd be pretty happy with something along the lines of the BBVA Compass stadium in Houston that opened in 2012 for $95m.  Still, the "good" stadiums seem to be in the $110-$130m range.  I'm a little bit concerned that the Lions will have a generic home for the price tag we're looking at.  Then again, maybe the lack of any parking will help.  

And it doesn't have to be state of the art.  It just needs to have good curb appeal, a great playing surface, and some modern concessions/concourses.  This unfortunately is going to be on the cheap side no matter how you slice it.  I just hope they don't cut too many corners and it still looks good.  I'd really love to see the area on the West side of I-4 become a sports & entertainment district, even with a couple of mid-rise to high-rise condos.  

At this point I think BBVA Compass Stadium has to be the goal. It is amazing what they built for 95M. The big thing that it has over other cheap stadiums is concrete stands. The new San Jose Earthquakes stadium is going to have metal stands like Brighthouse Stadium over at UCF and Crew Stadium in MLS. However, Columbus gets a pass since they were the first team to take chance on a soccer specific stadium. If we are stuck at 85M, we will probably not get concrete stands. However, if we can get that 110M, I hope that this is a priority upgrade. Buddy Dyer is throwing the "world class" term around again, and metal stands is definitely not world class.

Edited by Pete C

• 3 weeks later...

I hope it's not too much like BBVA which has garnered the nickname "the oven" for lack of breezeways.

They said the stadium will be in a U shape with the south end on church street open. One great thing about the Citrus Bowl, the northern breeze that comes through that open endzone of Lake Lorna Doone is great at night.

The stadium isn't going to be completely U-shaped. There will be seats that will extend off of the east side of the stadium into the south end with the southwest corner having a "party deck" type feature.. This was before the additional funds, Hopefully they close up the south end. I don't like the idea of an open end for a soccer stadium. What they COULD do is make the south end have just lower level seating and a party deck on top of that. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's about time. For this long of a wait, it better look great.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about anything architecturally interesting. The wait was probably due to the uncertainty of the vote on whether they would get additional funding from the state or not. I am keeping my expectations pretty low. I am mostly hoping for concrete stands rather than all metal like San Jose's new (and cheap) stadium.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about anything architecturally interesting. The wait was probably due to the uncertainty of the vote on whether they would get additional funding from the state or not. I am keeping my expectations pretty low. I am mostly hoping for concrete stands rather than all metal like San Jose's new (and cheap) stadium.

Metal stands make a stadium much louder than concrete, look at Mile High stadium. But I assume most of it will be concrete as they'll definitely pursue LEED certification.

Metal stands make a stadium much louder than concrete, look at Mile High stadium. But I assume most of it will be concrete as they'll definitely pursue LEED certification.

Oh does it? Interesting. That is a bonus, but concrete looks and feels higher quality. Also stays cooler. BBVA has a hybrid approach with concrete stands sitting on a metal support structure. I am hoping they go with that.

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 1