Downtown Norfolk Progress

varider

That athletes a team brings is usually small potatoes outside of charity work and getting into trouble. Not like you see them roaming around the city or anything. In Portland, I could count on one hand the number of times I have seen a Blazer out and about in the city in the 5+ years I have lived here.

Not really anything important, just thought I would mention it.

I still think Hampton Roads could be in the running for a MLS team seeing the league is already looking at Charlotte and Atlanta, and has found they are having better success in markets that are not as over saturated with teams. Though, I think the stronger foundation for a pro team would be NHL or NBA, but as I mentioned before, the only way Hampton Roads will get either of those is if a team somewhere is is looking to move.

All you last 4 or so posters made great points. I wnt to add to those great points myself guys/gals. One member made a point about how locally they complin and whine alot and I AGREE. That will be probably the biggest hurdle is either changing there minds or getting by there complaints. Thats why I said earlier in one of my post were I got off topic to much we need VA Beach/Norfolk to d the arena together. This may calm both cities citizens a bit but, not toally as far as there disagreeing. The arena would rep for the area were moving forward and getting rid if our traditions because our traditions are holding us back(The Scope/The Hampton Venue) because they cant accomodate acts with luxury suites for Bigber selling tickets and backstage comforts as well. Yes, sounds small to the avegae fan but, I work in the biz and this is the talk about here. Now how do we get it done? May have to satrt with the city council and move up!

Were it can be put is a huge question. Can Norfolk and Va Beach see it benefits the metro. When Biz folks come here they see the area as a whole mostly like when Im in L.A I know when Im in Beverly Hills or Hollywood but, mentally I see it as one BIG place and call it L.A as the name is for the metro there. Same goes for NOVA I think of the city of D.C and the VA/MD suburbs as D.C even though Im aware Im in Vienna,VA or Silver Spring,MD! If we get a venue thats 20,000 seats its a certain draw for a team(Hockey I think is the way to go then the NBA 2nd) that may want to relocate and can help with night life locally as well especially during the season. After parties will be a norm though Im not into parties anymore there are plenty who are and theres money in clubs and the party seen for club promoters and owners. Its like a domino effect.

Also, you move athletes here that are unaware of here now and its overall beauty and they see Pungo and other parts locally they have yet to see and this becomes attractive to others and word of mouth is the best promotion for all things! I think we have the money to support it as well. We have many like me who have debated leaving because of the fact theres not anything here to do. Yes, one team means during the season that void is filled. At least for 4 months its filled and the wait for the next season to support the Virginia Neptunes or whatever they name the team is there. Im emotional thinking about it now. Trust me, my heart is racing. Im a Cowboys fan and a Laker fan but, if we get a team in either sport i may have to switch. How special to have a team and have generations grow up supprting them. I really want this for future generations. We did good doing the baseball thing a few years back. I purchased tickets for it and we didnt get it but, the turnout was good. I hope we get a team so much! L.G.N.M

I think the "nothing to do here" is a cliche' people use to say something is better than the other. I'm 30, I've been bored in HR. When i'm sitting at home doing nothing, its because I prefer to do nothing. Basketball games, football games is like you mention, seasonal thing, if we get a team, it will be the same for me.

As far as the money to support teams, not completely sure about that. Most of the money is held in old people hands. The other part of the population that can afford based off what they are willing to give up to do certain things. Single people stay single with no kids, of course you have extra money to do things. People with families, for some its a concious decision and going to a "game" should not have to be that type of decision. It should be a simple decision like, hey lets catch a game and you go. I think for most people around here, it would be something they would have to plan (IMO). Especially in our area were the numbers are skewed like crazy because of the military.

Okay, I'm going to try and get this thread back towards comments on Downtown Norfolk.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of us would like to see a more vibrant, urban, walkable, bustling, city center. && I also think we all agree that DT is in pretty rough shape right now and leaves much to be desired for the center of 1.7M people. Granby is in bad shape. At least (rough estimate) 25% vacancy rate. Abandoned, decrepit (sp.?) buildings, boarded up storefronts, shuttered restaurants, etc. pretty much make up our main drag.

The question is.. what needs to be done to fix this?

I agree VaRider. All HONEST points and hard to swallow for me but, HONEST and thats key. Thats how things get corrected and fixed when were truthful with our situation. I cant call it sir!! Im amazed at how the things you mentioned werent handled pre-economic downturn but, it wasnt and may not be fixed anytime soon. I can say this, I am from Diggs Park and all my life till 23 was what folks would call POOR! Until I seen the otherside of how people lived my reality was getting by, check to check. Now, putting it to relate to Downtown Norfolk, I think those who run the city are just used to it as is like I felt getting by was the norm. Not a POOR downtown at all, Id call it a developing downtown. Thats the problem though. Its been developing for years now and I think its made those in power a bit to content.

I get frustrated with downtown myself. Such a historic city, most history lost for the right reasons(urban renewal) and the growth though its happening isnt fast enough to be one of the Jones'(Charlotte/AtlantaMiami)! Just hoping your generation stays here or comes back and fixes the issues here sir. Its a fine mess we have in downtown. Some great buildings and eateries and wonderful river/harbor etc., just not used to its total advantage(besides the military/ship building). The answers my friend, I dont have but, wish I did. It aint Chicago but, I LOVE this town!!! Also, great points going on here and all the threads!!!L.G.N.M

Edited by usermel

Okay, I'm going to try and get this thread back towards comments on Downtown Norfolk.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of us would like to see a more vibrant, urban, walkable, bustling, city center. && I also think we all agree that DT is in pretty rough shape right now and leaves much to be desired for the center of 1.7M people. Granby is in bad shape. At least (rough estimate) 25% vacancy rate. Abandoned, decrepit (sp.?) buildings, boarded up storefronts, shuttered restaurants, etc. pretty much make up our main drag.

The question is.. what needs to be done to fix this?

I really believe these problems are temporary. Due in part to a difficult economy (Granby St, Norfolk, HR, certainly is not alone in having these problems), massive construction due to light rail and other projects, to businesses that were clamped down on by the city for not meeting the laws (personally, I think this is a good thing). But just with virtually every other place that has gone by the boards, something always replaces it. I think 25% is way too high, but regardless, I'll bet anyone on here things will improve considerably down the road.

I'd have to agree with you on the walkability point. I think the city is far better on that than it used to be. But I believe there needs to be more destinations, meetup places, for people to walk to. I know everyone would love a 40-story building on the corner of Freemason and Monticello. But I think there's room for a building someday and a permanent destination point today. Grand fountain? Permament ice rink (that you could cover in the summer with a stage for concerts)? Pooch park?

I'm all for building a 20k-25k seat arena in DT Norfolk. But who's going to pay for it? People around here whine about the cost of mass transit, something that affects everyone. Imagine how they'd feel about a "luxury" building many will never use. Before arguing with me, I'm not one of those who feel that way. But if you listen to the posters on Pilotonline and elsewhere, I'd have to believe you'd have a riot on your hands. I still think it's a good idea, even if we just broke even, but I'm afraid you'd have a hard time convincing most people, particularly in this economy. It's just not a simple matter of cities coming together and doing it. I wish it were that easy.

I think if it were hockey, they would “beotcha” much much less and if they were building it for the team. But you are right, they fuss about things that affect everyone, that would be a hard sell.

In the business section of the paper today, apparently Festevents is trying to organize a market-like event on Saturday's, once the weather warms up. They are looking for various vendors to sell a whole bunch of things.. near Town Point Park.

How about INSIDE Waterside? A farmer's market in there would be a great addition.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/norfolk-parking-garages-getting-surveillance-cameras

NORFOLK

Without fanfare, the city has been installing surveillance cameras in its downtown parking garages – a move brought on by security concerns and welcomed by many residents and visitors.

“We’re really happy to have it finally be a reality,” said Kevin R. Murphy, president of the Downtown Norfolk Civic League, who for years has advocated them

The first of 134 cameras planned for 15 city garages started going up in December, said Bob Batcher Jr., a city spokesman. The Waterside, Freemason Street and Main Street facilities were completed by late January, and preparatory work had begun in the York Street Garage, he said.

The cameras won’t be monitored, but digital recordings will be kept for 30 days. Signal Engineering Corp., which has an office in Hampton, is handling the $1.5 million job.

In the business section of the paper today, apparently Festevents is trying to organize a market-like event on Saturday's, once the weather warms up. They are looking for various vendors to sell a whole bunch of things.. near Town Point Park.

Sounds like a flea market to me. My how the mighty have fallen.

The schedule for the markets is already up at festevents.org. They are planning the markets starting in late April, all the way through the Christmas season. i wonder how they are going to accomodate the festivals AND the market on the same days.

Wow, US Development is not wasting any time.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/leaning-tower-granby-be-sold-sc-developer-apartments

The South Carolina developers who plan to turn the Union Mission downtown into dozens of apartments said Friday they have reached a deal to purchase another property: the nearby Bankers Trust Building.

U.S. Development Co. wants to spend about $3.5 million to turn the eight-story office building on the corner of Granby Street and City Hall Avenue into as many as 30 apartments on top of a ground level of stores, said Jeff Prioreschi, one of company’s partners, in an e-mail.

More residential growth in downtown Norfolk. tough.gif

Has the lean to the building been fixed yet? That would be the most expensive part to renovating that building....personally, I always figured it would eventually get to bad and the city would force the owner to demolish the building. Glad to see it is still standing though, as for it being in disrepair, it doesnt look that bad from the exterior and I can see how it could look after a renovation.

I just noticed the lean. WOW, until tonight I never seen it. Isnt that dangerous in some way? Well, hope the project brings more to the city center! Our downtown can use as much improvement as it can get! I support whatever adds to our great city!!! L.G.N.Mrolleyes.gif

I was sitting at that light 10 years ago and I remember glancing over at that building and thinking to myself, "is that building leaning??" I had to park and get out of my car just to look at it better to see if I was really seeing that.

I remember hearing something about the city forcing the building owners to do some foundation work to fix it from leaning any more, but I dont know what that entitled or what exactly they did. I am guessing it still leans though. I would think it would be an annoying building to live in, everything you hand is crooked and everything always rolls to the north. You could never have a pool table in the building.

The story as I remember it was that people were all doing their thing, and out of nowhere the city dudes came in and told everyone the building was unsafe and everyone had to get out, right then. There was a deli on the 1st floor. By the night, everyone was out and building condemned.

The building had been bought by The Wright Company before that. I don't know anything about local politics but one has to wonder if old money wants to run the new money out. I mean, wouldn't inspections have caught this before hand? Did the lean increase rapidly? Not sure of the full details on this.

So after that point, the building went up for sale. The cost to redo the foundation (it supposedly can be fixed) will be a lot.

There was an article in the paper not too long ago about how they had bought the building for X amount, and it was for sale for Y. Y was like 3 times as large as X, and X was before it was condemned.

The building had the lean before it was condemned, but I guess they figured it was still safe.

Virginia PE or someone else had some good info on what it takes to fix it. It was posted on here before.

No idea if the deli moved or closed down. I had never been there.

I remember the deli. Never ate there but remember it. Always wondered why one day it just was gone. Now I know. WOW! LIFE. Those people just had to pack and go and that business had to up and leave. WOW. Thats why we must be happy with what we have even if it isnt alot because day to day you never know whats coming. Who thinks someones gioing to come and say leave your home? WOW! Glad I own my home. Hopefully nothings wrong for it to be seen as unsafe!!! L.G.N.Mrolleyes.gif

I remember the deli. Never ate there but remember it. Always wondered why one day it just was gone. Now I know. WOW! LIFE. Those people just had to pack and go and that business had to up and leave. WOW. Thats why we must be happy with what we have even if it isnt alot because day to day you never know whats coming. Who thinks someones gioing to come and say leave your home? WOW! Glad I own my home. Hopefully nothings wrong for it to be seen as unsafe!!! L.G.N.Mrolleyes.gif

In the USA, no private citizen really owns property. If the gov't wanteth, they taketh.

I don't know what other businesses were in the building. I can only assume it was kind of dumpy.

It is an eyesore to the downtown area. It will be good if someone can rehab it.

The other day the wind was blowing hard and there was this insane squeal, and we look up, and the sign on the building was parallel to the concrete. I moved fast! Now there is scaffolding up over the sidewalk.

I go to Uncle Al's for lunch, perhaps too much. The burger is right though, I can't lie. I'm sure it's just a syscoburger or usfoodserviceburger, but I like.