Downtown Norfolk Progress

varider

Good news there. Positive. Hate the suburbs are losing business but, love that its possibly going to return home to the downtown area!!! L.G.N.Mrolleyes.gif

Those numbers dont really mean that suburban businesses are moving downtown, it just means suburban companies are shrinking, failing, or moving more than downtown. Though in this economy, having only a 10% vacancy with a new office building coming online is really good news and could mean new developments for the downtown sooner when the next economic upswing happens...which hopefully means even better news for the SPQ, but only time will tell.

Our state and metro has done better than most states and there metro's economy wise!!! I find it ironic with all the things we don't have here that our economy has held up better than most metros that have more(pro teams,major companies,etc.)!! HHAHAhaAHA, its funny how that works. The military has been a stabilizer for years here and I can say I take/took it for granted. Yes, we suffered here due to the economic downturn. House prices have feel as the value on homes did that were already owned. Jobs are an issue here as well and what they pay.

We lost alot of jobs indeed but, compared to other states we have done ok. Norfolk without question seems to possibly have a chance to come out of this on top. Not many place will build a light rail system during a downturn economically so that says alot for our metro even with the bad things we suffered through financially. Moving forward, Norfolk can and should look to gain more companies here and attract businesses(major) with land/tax breaks. After the downturn companies may seek stability for there headquarters and Norfolk is among those cities in a state to possibly offer a sense of stability, along with the whole entire state. Thank goodness we have a strong military and government presence here!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gif

Edited by usermel

Thank goodness we have a strong military and government presence here!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gif

DOD and government spending shielded HR and most of the state from the full brunt of the downturn. Funny, I still have people in my building complaining about "government spending" despite that fact that we are government contractors, being paid with tax payers money.

Yeah, we dont have the Pro Teams and all the glitz of Hollywood or the sun of Florida and flash of Miami but, theres so much more to the state and our metro in particular that I see as a blessing now. Yeah, folks come from bigger cities and see our small downtown not realizing the importance of the city as a whole from a military perspective and the government is bigger than any Fortune 500 company would be to a city or a metros economy. See how Florida wants what we have and Texas as well in regards to ships and Oceana! Our growth is ground level, not 40 stories high. Iv'e seen growth here just not in the financial core. We dont have what Charlotte has but, Charlotte doesnt have what we have. Imagine if the bailout didnt happen for a city like Charlotte it would have devastated it.

Norfollk is different and over time I see that. Yes, I do want a few 40 story skyscrapers here that employee thousands and a more urban downtown were its truly the center of the area and out of towners want to come when they visit here. Id love a Pro Team in Norfolk called the Neptunes in any sport or call them the Seals as in Navy Seals! Yes, all that would be great but, in the dwnturn we have survived because of what our metro and city is, not despite of it! Thank goodness we are what we are! A military based metro and home of the Largest base in the World. L.G.N.Mrolleyes.gif

Edited by usermel

I'm wondering with the elections coming around, how that will affect the immediate future? I think the current mayor and city council have put a salty taste in the mouths of citizens and challengers maybe running a change compaign which could mean do nothing......Although I am not happy with a lot of the decisions and how they carry certain things out, I would still like to have a progressive thinking council/mayor.

Yeah, we dont have the Pro Teams and all the glitz of Hollywood or the sun of Florida and flash of Miami but, theres so much more to the state and our metro in particular that I see as a blessing now. Yeah, folks come from bigger cities and see our small downtown not realizing the importance of the city as a whole from a military perspective and the government is bigger than any Fortune 500 company would be to a city or a metros economy. See how Florida wants what we have and Texas as well in regards to ships and Oceana! Our growth is ground level, not 40 stories high. Iv'e seen growth here just not in the financial core. We dont have what Charlotte has but, Charlotte doesnt have what we have. Imagine if the bailout didnt happen for a city like Charlotte it would have devastated it.

Norfollk is different and over time I see that. Yes, I do want a few 40 story skyscrapers here that employee thousands and a more urban downtown were its truly the center of the area and out of towners want to come when they visit here. Id love a Pro Team in Norfolk called the Neptunes in any sport or call them the Seals as in Navy Seals! Yes, all that would be great but, in the dwnturn we have survived because of what our metro and city is, not despite of it! Thank goodness we are what we are! A military based metro and home of the Largest base in the World. L.G.N.Mrolleyes.gif

I'll take 50 floor office towers and 40 floor condo towers, NFL/NBA teams, and LRT with a banking based economy over 25 floor office towers and 15 floor condo towers with MiLB/AHL teams and LRT under construction..

I have a hobby of looking at different cities throughout the nation on Google streetview and bing streetside or whatever, and each city I go to impresses me with their urbanity and stock of buildings along with the retail and activity on the ground level.

I just don't understand how these city's got to be to the point they are at now. What seperates the Baltimore's, Cincinnati's, Cleveland's, Oklahoma City's, Kansas City's, etc. from the Norfolk's of the world? How do they fill the tons of high-rise office buildings employing thousands of people and why doesn't Norfolk do the same?

vfiles2157.jpg

Baltimore

cincinnati-skyline.jpg

Cincinnati

kansas-city-airport-code.jpg

Kansas City

downtown-oklahoma-city-02.jpg

Oklahoma City

picture-portland-oregon-downtown-portland-willamette-river-at-night.275131024_std.JPG

Urbanlife's town, Portland

downtown2.jpg

Now you guys know that I love Norfolk.. but I just want to understand why so many cities across the country, and the world for that matter, are so much better than ours. In your opinion, should I just stop thinking about my big-city dreams for Norfolk? I mean really.. Our downtown is small, and outside of downtown, Norfolk is basically a suburb. & our downtown isn't even dense! Our tallest building is 25 floors. Our main drag (Granby) has condemned structures, leaning towers,and vacancies. Our downtown arena holds 8,000. Our waterfront sucks,. We don't have anything coool in our downtown like urban bowling alley, movie theater, heck... we don't even have a nat'l fast food chain other than Subway. One F500 company,which I hear doesn't even like Norfolk and operates mainly in Atlanta? A couple thousand residents.. the majority of which live in suburban apartment homes like that crap on the other side of Boush in Freemason? How come cities all across America have visions of vibrant downtowns full of office workers and have wide streets lined with 30+ floor office towers creating urban canyons and wide, busy sidewalks with bus stops and rail stations. What's wrong with Norfolk. Don't blame it on the military, because how can having military base in the northernmost part of the city , slow economic, urban development in the city center? Don't blame it on having Virginia Beach next door, becasue they are about as country as I don't know what. Do you guys think Norfolk's vision is even to try and become a city? Or is this just a dream of a couple people (mainly me) on Urbanplanet.

What the heck would need to happen to grow our downtown like the other 50+ cities that have better downtown's than Norfolk in America.

I hate to admit it but Tel is right, the massive projects in Downtown is definitely holding Downtown back, even if it is only perception. In order to appear more appealing, they have to go. Nothing is wrong with poor people, they should not be segregated though and causing concentration and ultimately backlash in crime and malaise.

DOD and government spending shielded HR and most of the state from the full brunt of the downturn. Funny, I still have people in my building complaining about "government spending" despite that fact that we are government contractors, being paid with tax payers money.

That one is fun to bring up :-)

In the end, private employment is good and gov't employment is bad.

But if I gotta eat, I'll gladly take #2!

I have a hobby of looking at different cities throughout the nation on Google streetview and bing streetside or whatever, and each city I go to impresses me with their urbanity and stock of buildings along with the retail and activity on the ground level.

I just don't understand how these city's got to be to the point they are at now. What seperates the Baltimore's, Cincinnati's, Cleveland's, Oklahoma City's, Kansas City's, etc. from the Norfolk's of the world? How do they fill the tons of high-rise office buildings employing thousands of people and why doesn't Norfolk do the same?

What the heck would need to happen to grow our downtown like the other 50+ cities that have better downtown's than Norfolk in America.

First, don't let other people fool you. I've heard many of these other area's business districts are largely dead at night. I've been in Manhattan at 10pm and everything is closed for blocks, shuttered, literally. The business centers generally do shut down at night.

I think you find that the wealthy people that work in the downtown businesses often have nice sprawling homes in nice neighborhoods. Apartments are for the young, the SFH an on acre with a picket fence is the American Dream, not a poorly constructed apartment where you hear the neighbors all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if you found out that many of the people that bought condos in downtown Norfolk regret it. I have no basis for this, but when I hear what the mortgage costs (versus similar rent) I can only imagine.

The housing here is now grossly overpriced when compared to the job opportunities. The jobs for the most part suck unless you're sloth who likes to just get by, or like low wages.

We aren't in a great place transportation wise. If 64 continued to Raleigh or something, that might help. But as it is, you have to drive out to Emporia or up to Richmond to connect to the interstates that actually count.

And of course social stuff. I assume the people at large companies in other areas like being around other large companies. Start a tech company or something new in Hampton Roads and you're peers can't comprehend it. The people here are back woods. Start one in Silicon Valley and y our peers are going to be VC firms and marketing firms, and people who get it.

I worked for a small tech company that spawned in Hampton Roads after hiring a CEO (ex-Navy). Company was in NYC. First, everyone HATED the CEO. He ruined the company for all intents and purposes. Second, everyone who moved here from other areas (Microsoft, Intel, many other names) have MOSTLY left. There are a few left, but probably more because they are trapped by houses or family. One's wife did lots of research and moved here, then the school while it looked good on paper was full of thug wannabes and their kids were miserable. So had to move to get kids into a school where kids speak proper English and don't have horrible attitudes. But since then moved back to the west coast.

So Hampton Roads can't rival those other cities, cause it's crap. Don't forget some cities die though. There has to be some reason for businesses to relocate here, or there has to be a good environment for businesses to grow here. There is neither, other than getting gubbmint money from the .mil.

vfiles2157.jpg

Baltimore

cincinnati-skyline.jpg

Cincinnati

kansas-city-airport-code.jpg

Kansas City

downtown-oklahoma-city-02.jpg

Oklahoma City

picture-portland-oregon-downtown-portland-willamette-river-at-night.275131024_std.JPG

Urbanlife's town, Portland

downtown2.jpg

Now you guys know that I love Norfolk.. but I just want to understand why so many cities across the country, and the world for that matter, are so much better than ours. In your opinion, should I just stop thinking about my big-city dreams for Norfolk? I mean really.. Our downtown is small, and outside of downtown, Norfolk is basically a suburb. & our downtown isn't even dense! Our tallest building is 25 floors. Our main drag (Granby) has condemned structures, leaning towers,and vacancies. Our downtown arena holds 8,000. Our waterfront sucks,. We don't have anything coool in our downtown like urban bowling alley, movie theater, heck... we don't even have a nat'l fast food chain other than Subway. One F500 company,which I hear doesn't even like Norfolk and operates mainly in Atlanta? A couple thousand residents.. the majority of which live in suburban apartment homes like that crap on the other side of Boush in Freemason? How come cities all across America have visions of vibrant downtowns full of office workers and have wide streets lined with 30+ floor office towers creating urban canyons and wide, busy sidewalks with bus stops and rail stations. What's wrong with Norfolk. Don't blame it on the military, because how can having military base in the northernmost part of the city , slow economic, urban development in the city center? Don't blame it on having Virginia Beach next door, becasue they are about as country as I don't know what. Do you guys think Norfolk's vision is even to try and become a city? Or is this just a dream of a couple people (mainly me) on Urbanplanet.

It is a lot of things at play here Varider and all of us are frustrated with it too. The simplest things do not happen in DT that needs to happen, it has been that way for decades. I believe a huge portion of the problem is the income ratio vs draw. Income sucks while everything is high with older people who can afford everything. Nothing wrong with the old holding the cash, but they do not come out and play. So what you are left with is lack of vision and prospects. About 10,12 years ago someone had a vision, I personally believe it was the forces of the universe working together to make what seemed like progress in DT. The result of that was Realtor Company losing their freaking minds and jacking up prices past the amount of draw or attempted draw. The results of it was a nice change for Granby, dramatic when compared to more than 20 years ago, but not grand as a young minded persons like us would like to see. We will not draw f500 companies because we are only a cut above country pay and way below big city pay. The elites are old people, lawyers, doctors, and any contractor who was successful enough to suck off the government unassuming tit.

Our welfare policy sucks face, that is why we have so much public housing. Only 5 high schools and a ton of elementary schools, we do not turn out progressive graduates like you think. Living in DMV is a VERY different culture than here. Not because there is more money, but because of the mindset of people up there. They are progressive professionals. Not saying we aren't, I'm just saying its a bucket load of them up there vs here. Out city moves a snails pace when it comes to city progress, but crime is growing like nobody's business. These are fundamental problems our city has. It is like we can not do the smallest things GREAT or par.

Which leads me to my next point, the city does not help where I believe they should help. The provide no entertainment for its citizens that surprisingly could help everyone. I keep saying this, but this one of the things I notice about every since I’ve gone to, hell even Virginia beach, they provide random entertainment for their citizens to enjoy. On a Sunday, you can no go to DT and do anything but go to the mall. Do you think burfoot, Riddick, fraim, and all those other people are coming to DT on Sunday? Of course not, they are older, it is not what they do. They will do it around xmas time, but that is about it, so they are out of touch in that regard. They do not understand the subtle importance of those things and how it helps a city gain interest. A million bucks in that regard would go far. You know how many bands would play on a stage on the corner of main and granby for FREE if you just invited them. I can name a few right now that would do it and it would create an invite-ful atmosphere that everyone can appreciate and anticipate. We do not have money to build 50 story buildings, we do not have money to just build a new DT, but we do have enough money to bring people to DT to enjoy the simple things in life, the simple things the government will just not do to bring people to the city.

Just to make one last point……The urban bowling alley is a great idea, I mention that some years ago on here. It would work and it wouldn’t work here is why. It wouldn’t work because the people who live in DT probably would not be attracted to that. They are older and probably do not do that sort of thing unless they are a bowler. It would work if you had people constantly coming in your DT 7 days a week by the things I described above. Because that does not happen, there is no interest to build something like that. You really should frame the perception of Norfolk by other citizens in the area. They look at it as it is a cesspool and they never come here…That’s bad for business buddy.

Ok, I’m off the soapbox. But those are just a few things that are wrong.

There are many reasons why Norfolk hasn't prospered in terms of potential, but the one thing that keeps coming up is the relative lack of an economic base. Norfolk produces and exports very little to the world. True, we have a great harbor asset and many other natural amenities, but we are not home to any major financial, technological, manufacturing, or entertainment industries. We do have some research and production related to military institutions, but those industries are severely limited to sales to domestic government consumption.

Than there is the conservative Virginia mindset, which let the banking industry slip away to Charlotte and Atlanta, and largely denies the need to take a visionary approach to planning, and allows only limited local control to cities. Nevertheless, our region is a good place to live

There are many reasons why Norfolk hasn't prospered in terms of potential, but the one thing that keeps coming up is the relative lack of an economic base. Norfolk produces and exports very little to the world. True, we have a great harbor asset and many other natural amenities, but we are not home to any major financial, technological, manufacturing, or entertainment industries. We do have some research and production related to military institutions, but those industries are severely limited to sales to domestic government consumption.

Than there is the conservative Virginia mindset, which let the banking industry slip away to Charlotte and Atlanta, and largely denies the need to take a visionary approach to planning, and allows only limited local control to cities. Nevertheless, our region is a good place to live

What would need to happen to change this?

I dunno if there is a magic recipe? If there was, everyone would use it?

Just don't have the right wealth in the right hands? Not in a good location? Don't have the right "old money" families in town? Lack of certain types of organized crime? Wrong make-up of people? Who knows. Perhaps it's random. Perhaps it's evolutionary.

So you don't think that Norfolk might already have "the plan? "

LRT, HSR, Renovation of abandoned buildings into living/retail space, hiring of retail consultant, construction of consolidated courthouse, new downtown library, new conference center and Westin hotel, etc.?? You all don't think these things will spark another wave of development?

&& Telmnstr, you always say people regret buying condos downtown and stuff, but may I ask why you live downtown if it's so overpriced and full of old people?

On my strolls through DT/Freemason/Ghent, I see more younger folk than old people... Other than Harbors Edge Place.

Downtown was very alive this afternoon around 6pm. Jack Quinns is bringing people downtown nightly with live music seven days a week. Lots of students walking around the TCC buildings. The coffee shop on Granby had a full house and a student band playing. Hells Kitchen was packed. Typically Mondays and Tuesdays are very slow but I was impressed with the activity down there tonight.

Once the new affordable apartments come online I think you will see consistent activity and support for more small businesses downtown. Until this construction is over we will have to live with what we have.

Downtown was very alive this afternoon around 6pm. Jack Quinns is bringing people downtown nightly with live music seven days a week. Lots of students walking around the TCC buildings. The coffee shop on Granby had a full house and a student band playing. Hells Kitchen was packed. Typically Mondays and Tuesdays are very slow but I was impressed with the activity down there tonight.

Once the new affordable apartments come online I think you will see consistent activity and support for more small businesses downtown. Until this construction is over we will have to live with what we have.

Yeah, Imagine the activity when construction is over, all roads are re-opened, and people are coming into town on the rail system... && like you said, the Rockefeller (Union Mission) and the Savoy (leaning tower) are online. We might have a legitimately active downtown.

So you don't think that Norfolk might already have "the plan? "

LRT, HSR, Renovation of abandoned buildings into living/retail space, hiring of retail consultant, construction of consolidated courthouse, new downtown library, new conference center and Westin hotel, etc.?? You all don't think these things will spark another wave of development?

&& Telmnstr, you always say people regret buying condos downtown and stuff, but may I ask why you live downtown if it's so overpriced and full of old people?

On my strolls through DT/Freemason/Ghent, I see more younger folk than old people... Other than Harbors Edge Place.

This will be the key factor for the city, once people who want to live in downtown and can now afford a place to live there, you will see things that cater to them start to follow.

LRT is important and will have a long term effect on the city and region, but the effects of it will happen at a slower pace with moments of short term build ups, but expect the effects of LRT to take up to 30 years before it is really felt.

A retail consultant is sort of a waste of money...I can do it much cheaper than they can. Its called making it mandatory for all new buildings to have 80% of their street front dedicated to retail like commercial space to allow an increase of store frontage. Without that factor, the city can do all it wants and the improvements will be very slim. Walk around a building that has only a couple limited entrances into the building that only services as lobby entrances, then walk around a building that is wrapped with storefronts and tell me which building feels more connected to the street. And I will call BS if anyone says that isnt possible to do or the new buildings going up dont have the room for such things because that is a load of crap and the architect should be punched in the junk for lying. :angry:

Civic projects in theory are good for cities when it comes to spurring new development...personally I have never fully bought into this idea. I do think that civic projects are great for providing needed jobs within construction, especially when there is little construction going on. The courthouse, convention center, Westin will all have a minor effect on the city and often times more indirect effects or will have effects on very small groups within the city. The library will probably have an "awe effect" when it first opens, much like VaBeach's Central Library, but in the end it is just an expected function for a downtown to have and will probably produce little effect for the city.

Seriously though, more affordable housing (or at least housing that is on par with Ghent because Ghent isnt that expensive), more possibility for retail, easy loans for start up businesses and tax breaks for start up businesses to help make it easier for new companies to start up, as well as more streamlined ways to get through government red tape to make starting a business less complicated. A full downtown urban growth plan, as well as a full districts and neighborhood plan is equally important.

Norfolk is a city of 200K(guessing and dont feel like looking it up) and in a metro of almost 2 million people, it makes no sense to act like downtown is a small isolated island. Figuring out how to connect downtown to its inner neighborhoods (and all of its neighborhoods) is very important because it makes the rest of the city relative in the growth of downtown. Right now there is little reason for someone in Ocean View to go to downtown and vise versa.

This will be the key factor for the city, once people who want to live in downtown and can now afford a place to live there, you will see things that cater to them start to follow.

LRT is important and will have a long term effect on the city and region, but the effects of it will happen at a slower pace with moments of short term build ups, but expect the effects of LRT to take up to 30 years before it is really felt.

A retail consultant is sort of a waste of money...I can do it much cheaper than they can. Its called making it mandatory for all new buildings to have 80% of their street front dedicated to retail like commercial space to allow an increase of store frontage. Without that factor, the city can do all it wants and the improvements will be very slim. Walk around a building that has only a couple limited entrances into the building that only services as lobby entrances, then walk around a building that is wrapped with storefronts and tell me which building feels more connected to the street. And I will call BS if anyone says that isnt possible to do or the new buildings going up dont have the room for such things because that is a load of crap and the architect should be punched in the junk for lying. mad.gif

Civic projects in theory are good for cities when it comes to spurring new development...personally I have never fully bought into this idea. I do think that civic projects are great for providing needed jobs within construction, especially when there is little construction going on. The courthouse, convention center, Westin will all have a minor effect on the city and often times more indirect effects or will have effects on very small groups within the city. The library will probably have an "awe effect" when it first opens, much like VaBeach's Central Library, but in the end it is just an expected function for a downtown to have and will probably produce little effect for the city.

Seriously though, more affordable housing (or at least housing that is on par with Ghent because Ghent isnt that expensive), more possibility for retail, easy loans for start up businesses and tax breaks for start up businesses to help make it easier for new companies to start up, as well as more streamlined ways to get through government red tape to make starting a business less complicated. A full downtown urban growth plan, as well as a full districts and neighborhood plan is equally important.

Norfolk is a city of 200K(guessing and dont feel like looking it up) and in a metro of almost 2 million people, it makes no sense to act like downtown is a small isolated island. Figuring out how to connect downtown to its inner neighborhoods (and all of its neighborhoods) is very important because it makes the rest of the city relative in the growth of downtown. Right now there is little reason for someone in Ocean View to go to downtown and vise versa.

Of course, all of this will make our current downtown nicer and more alive and vibrant.. but I don't see anything here that will help grow our job base in the city center. I feel like downtown Norfolk needs about 10,000 more jobs to finally say we made it.

Also, apartments are doing great in Norfolk. The Belmont is doing much better than expected and I guess the Wells Fargo Center should do the same..then the Union Mission.. then the Savoy. All of these are great projects... but there is going to come a time when there aren't enough jobs and the housing demand will flatline. Norfolk must do a better job bringing in big companies by tax breaks and any other incentives. I'd love to see another announcement like Dominion Enterprises consolidated their workforce into a major 20+ floor office tower owner- occupied. Wells Fargo is 75% occupied and I'm guessing that we are going to need another tower pretty soon. But yeah, like i said. I really think Norfolk needs to shoot past the 30,000 jobs mark and aim for 50,000 jobs in the next 25 years. JOBS JOBS JOBS.

Edited by varider

If you figure out the cap rate on my apartment downtown it comes out to be around $144K is what it should sell for. Meanwhile condoze nearby sold for $400K+, with way less amenities. Don't get me wrong, I think I pay too much. But right now most of my focus is on 757labs and growing that. The reason I continue to live there is because it was the most affordable that I found at the time, and there is a high cost of moving. Plus I'm kind of locked in a contract. A number of neighbors are moving out, but new ones move in. It's getting worse though, loud banging dance music at 2AM, and you really gotta turn it up loud to be heard through the floors.

Sure the gov't can spend and drive all these things downtown, but private sector jobs are what Norfolk (and America) needs. One of the big computer programming challenges just recently finished up. Not a single American university placed in the top 10. All foreign universities. We used to do good in these things. Sign of the times. Gov't jobs are wealth redistribution.

A friend said out of college he went to work for city of Norfolk and wrote software that would reduce the number of needed staff from 12 to 4 in a department, and they scrapped the software because they didn't want to let go of the jobs. That's our money they're spending.

Also, the Savoy looked like the building I live in!

Jack Quinns was somewhat busy last night.

And when is the meetup.

http://www.altdaily.com/arteverywhere

Imagine a Granby Street with no empty store windows, with no boarded-up buildings, but instead a series of large-canvas public art projects that garner national attention. Imagine a Downtown Norfolk celebrated for its color, vibrancy, energy, and support of the arts.

Art{sodEmoji.|}Everywhere is a celebration of Downtown Norfolk and all that it could be. Never mind galleries and museums; this isn’t that kind of show. This is an opportunity for artists to show their work in a venue that is a half-mile long and sees thousands of pedestrians each week.

For eight remarkable weeks this spring, empty storefront windows along Granby Street in Downtown Norfolk will be transformed by art. The corridor will be one monumental gallery. The windows and facades of vacant properties will be the walls. And it will all commence with an opening night celebration where we’ll fill the streets with art lovers. For viewers, Art{sodEmoji.|}Everywhere represents a new and inspiring way of looking at Norfolk. For artists, it is an opportunity to portray your creative vision on a larger-scale canvas than perhaps ever before or again, and for it to be seen by the masses.

This sounds like it may be pretty interesting. I love AltDaily.