Downtown Norfolk Progress

varider

A mural sounds like a great idea. Maybe we should send a couple e-mails? Between a mural on scope and the artwork at the LR stations, downtown could continue to grow its arts community. Uhmm.. but about Scope. I love it and all. But I feel much space is wasted in the plaza surrounding the arena and I think it's much too small for a city our size. So I'd like to see it completely demolished. A new arena 18,000+ constructed in it's place, wrapped with retail, and maybe a hotel/condo tower next door.

Also, does anyone know when Google will update their aerial/streetview database?Norfolk loooks pretty sorry in the current aerial without the recent developments.

I think the mural is a great idea. I still think the best thing that could happen artistically to downtown would be to drape the Bank of America building in green vines, possibly diagnally (sorry no spell check).

A mural sounds like a great idea. Maybe we should send a couple e-mails? Between a mural on scope and the artwork at the LR stations, downtown could continue to grow its arts community. Uhmm.. but about Scope. I love it and all. But I feel much space is wasted in the plaza surrounding the arena and I think it's much too small for a city our size. So I'd like to see it completely demolished. A new arena 18,000+ constructed in it's place, wrapped with retail, and maybe a hotel/condo tower next door.

Also, does anyone know when Google will update their aerial/streetview database?Norfolk loooks pretty sorry in the current aerial without the recent developments.

I would much rather get a LR extension first, not a fan of the masssive super block created by an arena.

I would much rather get a LR extension first, not a fan of the masssive super block created by an arena.

I agree, worry about becoming a dense urban city as well as having an expansive rail system before worrying about arenas and new tallest buildings and such. If Norfolk can get to the level of having 3-10 story buildings everywhere you go and vibrate neighborhoods throughout the city, that will be worth more than any tall building or new arena built right now could bring to the city.

(of course there is nothing wrong with trying to prepare for where such an arena would go within the city so that it doesnt lose that land later in time...basically, proper planning is the key to any successful city.)

Edited by urbanlife

I agree, worry about becoming a dense urban city as well as having an expansive rail system before worrying about arenas and new tallest buildings and such. If Norfolk can get to the level of having 3-10 story buildings everywhere you go and vibrate neighborhoods throughout the city, that will be worth more than any tall building or new arena built right now could bring to the city.

(of course there is nothing wrong with trying to prepare for where such an arena would go within the city so that it doesnt lose that land later in time...basically, proper planning is the key to any successful city.)

Norfolk already is a dense, urban city. But I agree, there should be a lot more 201 Twenty One's and Belmont's around town. I'd rather have an expansive rail system too, but name a city that has this and doesnt have a pro sports team..?

7 years ago on the Pilot ex-HRT'ers were dropping info about Townes and others at HRT. His mis-management is nothing new. They were dropping stuff that never saw the light of day in the news, but probably should have been fired over it.

If the light rail went to the navy base, then the navy could agree to pay $1800/month to rent Military folks apartments so they can ride the train.

So I've been quiet with my doom and gloom lately... Because I've been busy!

Downtown Norfolk is home to the regions new "Hacker Space."

To get an idea of how many of these things exist, here is a current list: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

Basically a friend and myself rented the old Ridgeways space on Bute and have been fixing it up. Hopefully others will join the club, and cool new projects will be completed. Meetings held for programming groups, and perhaps some social and networking events.

So far:

4316296575_f589dc0c72.jpg

4316295671_417d10f9b1.jpg

4317031906_a053782728.jpg

More pics on the flickr.

Crazy times. Home they don't screw us somehow on the lease.

Now we have to get local tech folks to leave their homes at night and actually do stuff. That could be the real challenge :-)

Edited by Telmnstr

Norfolk already is a dense, urban city. But I agree, there should be a lot more 201 Twenty One's and Belmont's around town. I'd rather have an expansive rail system too, but name a city that has this and doesnt have a pro sports team..?

USA_states_major_sports_teams.PNG

And there are alot of medium and large cities in those blue states....so the answer to your question would be many big cities dont have a pro team...also to add to that list of blue states, would be the city of Austin, TX and Columbus, OH, Tulsa, OK (granted that would be more on the smaller end of cities, but still would count.)

I hope that answers your question. Teams are more about money pits than anything else, they are great to root for but unless they are the Chicago Cubs, they probably arent turning as much of a profit for a city than the city hopes for.

Now if the city were to focus on expanding its rail and having more projects like the 201 happening all over the city, as well as going after new industries and trying to attract new companies to the region, a pro team will eventually follow...they are like buzzards to money, they go wherever they can find a place to make the most money from that will bend over backwards whenever they want a new stadium.

I think it is a matter of time before Virginia gets a pro team and it will more than likely happen in Hampton Roads, though I have a feeling it will happen in Virginia Beach over Norfolk, but only time will tell on that one and it all depends how both cities play their cards and what pro sports they go after.

Oh and Kansas City, KS doesnt have a pro team...they sort of have the DC effect. Virginia has a few pro teams if DC is counted as apart of their state market...but it doesnt work that way, therefore Virginia doesnt have a pro team, much like Kansas City, KS doesnt have one.

Edited by urbanlife

I understand all the arguments gainst the need of a pro team. I humbly understand and Im not looking to debate anyones opinion about other cities with good populations like Austin,TX(correction) who dont have teams. Now, I feel as VaRider does. A pro team adds to the appeal of a city. Does it have the impact getting 20,000 jobs has? No! Does it have the effect that projects like light rail has? No? That said, look at Oklahoma City and the instant publicity they get each night on ESPN and the attention companies loking to relocate may give that town which already was having growth pre economic downturn.

I know,I know we dont need a pro team but, it will help the cities and more important the metro's image. What pro teams do for metro areas is introduce them to folks who still have never heard of Norfolk nor Va Beach. The most humbling thing to happen to me is being in Los Angeles,CA and have not one person have heard of Norfolk/Va Beach. I know its hard to believe but, it happens every now and then. Is it because the area isnt great? No, its great! Is it because it has a very small population? No, we have 1.7 million! Its because most places gain name recognition via sports. The Green Bay Packers were around when the NFL started so I cant say they had it hard getting a team. Look at what that team does for that local economy for the city of Green Bay and how much fame has came to that city. Who would have heard of Green Bay without the Packers. I think instead of looking for reason why its not bad we dont have a team(Pro) we should all rally around the idea and see the positives it can bring to a city like Norfolk and a metro like ours to add businesses and jobs for the stadium and arena built here and the companies that would come here because they see the oceanfront and pro team as draws for after work activity! Charlotte again is a great example of this.

Richmond,VA would also benefit from a pro team. Nationwide it is more known and is a city that has shown signs of a globalcity(its not a global city)! Please lets support the idea of having our own team in baseball and football or basketball. Im tired of the Redskins and teams located 150 miles away trying to gain our dollars when we could keep the money in state or in the metro!! L.G.N.M

Edited by usermel

Oh, Richmond has showed minimal signs of being a global city! Theres info on what this means if you google it! Again its not a global city but, showed minimal evidence as being one and the criteria is very interesting! Check it out guys. For a while I tried to get locals to see past the skyline competition we have with Richmond and see the power our state capital has and hw much of a sleeping little giant Richmond is. At the end of the day Richmond is a city in the state and part of VA and im proud of my whole state. L.G.N.M

For the record, Columbus, OH does have a major league team... NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets. Also, the Ohio State Buckeyes basically act like a pro team (at least in college football) in terms of the revenue they generate. Their stadium of over 100,000 is full 6 Saturdays a year. Same goes with Austin, TX and the Longhorns.

EDIT: Columbus also has the Columbus Crew from the MLS.

Edited by dbull75

For the record, Columbus, OH does have a major league team... NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets. Also, the Ohio State Buckeyes basically act like a pro team (at least in college football) in terms of the revenue they generate. Their stadium of over 100,000 is full 6 Saturdays a year. Same goes with Austin, TX and the Longhorns.

EDIT: Columbus also has the Columbus Crew from the MLS.

Good points dbull75! Your right. Doesnt get much bigger than Ohio State football and they do have the hockey squad. I knew they had an NHL team myself!!! L.G.N.M

I feel you VaRider!!! L.G.N.M

I think its totally possibly for Richmond or Hampton Roads to get a pro sports team; any team based out of NoVA will end up adpoting DC as their home city though.

The chances a pro team will move to VA should the opportunity arise would be greater if HR and RVA come together and pitch a team as a state team, think Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings, NE Patriots. There are about 5+ million people in the state of VA who don't live in NoVA and about 3 million in HR and RVA combined. The stadium could be build in Norfolk or VA Beach, the team operations/management could be based in RVA, and the training camp could alternate between the colleges in NC and VA.

Also while Norfolk might have a more cleaner and newer than Richmond, but Richmond has a lot more national and international companies based downtown than Norfolk. Norfolk need to shed its image of being a navy/DoD town, IMO.

I just want a team. I dnt care about the $$, traffic, urban planning aspects,etc.

And I agree that when VA gets a team it will certainly be in HR. Half a million more people than RIC plus it's probably the furthest point from DC.

I can agree with that, as much as I know that Portland doesnt need another pro team, I am excited about our MLS team and wish the city and state would start back up to try and pursue the MLB because I would love to going to major league baseball games here. There is always that factor for entertainment and pro sports definitely has that allure to it.

Yes, people from Richmond would drive out to VA Beach/Norfolk to see baseball, soccer, football, hockey, or basketball in a heartbeat. On the other hand, people from points west of Richmond might be reluctant to travel Hampton Roads just for a game, and people in NoVA certainly will rarely travel to Hampton Roads for games. From personal experience, if a day trip requires longer than a three hour drive, the probability of making the day trip beings to plummet.

I think its totally possibly for Richmond or Hampton Roads to get a pro sports team; any team based out of NoVA will end up adpoting DC as their home city though.

The chances a pro team will move to VA should the opportunity arise would be greater if HR and RVA come together and pitch a team as a state team, think Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings, NE Patriots. There are about 5+ million people in the state of VA who don't live in NoVA and about 3 million in HR and RVA combined. The stadium could be build in Norfolk or VA Beach, the team operations/management could be based in RVA, and the training camp could alternate between the colleges in NC and VA.

Also while Norfolk might have a more cleaner and newer than Richmond, but Richmond has a lot more national and international companies based downtown than Norfolk. Norfolk need to shed its image of being a navy/DoD town, IMO.

Fanguys9010, I agree with your last statement about the need for Norfolk in your words and I quote"Norfolk need(s) to shed its image of being a navy/DoD(what does tDoD mean)town,IMO!" end quote! I agree and have said again and again that thats what folks think of Norfolk. We need the local leaders to get a city image consultant if they exist. Richmond seen as a important business city of the south and is were one of the Fed Reserve banks are located! We need a stronger finncial based downtown and thats a BIG issue as the news reported we could be losing a ship(carrier soon)! We are the envy of other navy towns besides San Diego and a few others alot of other towns want the ships(carriers) we have in Norfolk. Thats why the transition to a more financial based city and metro is key as Norfolk and the metro move into the next decade! Our areas foundation is to much Navy and not enough financially centered! L.G.N.M

I live in Richmond now but I'm a big Hampton Roads booster. I don't know if there would be many people from Richmond who would drive to Hampton Roads to see a game, unless it was on the weekend. The traffic is just too bad going through the tunnel for most to bother, especially since most games start around 7ish Eastern Standard Time. That would put Richmonders smack in the middle of rush hour during the week just to try and get to the game early. The weekends, probably many would go, weekdays, not so much.

I think if Hampton Roads pushed as a region, getting a pro team would be easy. The reason we don't have one is because to the outside, we are not a region with a 1+ million population. we are Norfolk (250k), VB (400k), Chesapeake (200k), Portsmouth (150k), etc etc. If we worked as a major city, we would get the benefits of a major city.

This is my first time on this forum, so please don't be too hard on me. I think that in Virginia we could do something like is done in New England with the Patriots ( NFL ) team. The Patriots are shared somewhat by Boston and Providence. Maybe Williamsburg would be the place for a major league team. It is not that long a drive from Richmond or Hampton Roads. That might up our chances of landing a team or two. I would really love a team, and this might be a good option.

Edited by gad1492

This is my first time on this forum, so please don't be too hard on me. I think that in Virginia we could do something like is done in New England with the Patriots ( NFL ) team. The Patriots are shared somewhat by Boston and Providence. Maybe Williamsburg would be the place for a major league team. It is not that long a drive form Richmond or Hampton Roads. That might up our chances of landing a team or two. I would really love a team, and this might be a good option.

I guess we could compromise. But I-64 is too congested for that and the lack of good transit service in Williamsburg would be a problem. Also SS HR residents wouldnt want to cross the Delaware.. i mean HR harbor. Now that I think about it.. i dnt think Williamsburg would be a good place for a stadium. Southside HR would be optimal becasue of the transit backbone and population base. Plus a stadium in SS HR would allow for Richmonders to travel via I-64 or 460 or Amtrak in the future.

I grew up in kempsville, so i know the strong desire for major league sports down there. I also think that Hampton Roads is the main draw for a team. I live in Richmond now, but would love to live back there again. I was just wondering how many people drive from both Richmond and Hampton Roads on an average weekend in the summer to go to Boush Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg and Water Country. Seems like they manage the traffic ok. I think a team would be an even bigger reason to make the drive. Just an option thats all.

I grew up in kempsville, so i know the strong desire for major league sports down there. I also think that Hampton Roads is the main draw for a team. I live in Richmond now, but would love to live back there again. I was just wondering how many people drive from both Richmond and Hampton Roads on an average weekend in the summer to go to Boush Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg and Water Country. Seems like they manage the traffic ok. I think a team would be an even bigger reason to make the drive. Just an option thats all.

Tons.but I doubt they all go at the same time, during rush hour. A game with a 7pm start would mean SHR residents would need to leave around 530pm. During peak hour when the tunnels are all backed up 5-10 miles already. I'm not saying people wouldnt combat traffic to see a game.. but it would certainly be a deterrent to some. Also, it would help for a stadium to be adjacent to a rail line.. which I can't see happening in Williamsburg for a while