The Good News Report

atlrvr

38 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Please list users who wish the economic damage was worse with direct quots of those users.

While I don't recall any users who have come right out and said it, I do think there are people who think it.  They are following the 'leadership' on the issue like Chad Griffin - Human Rights Commission.

Regardless of what you think about HB2 or the Bathroom Ordinance that the City Council passed.  Regardless of what personal beliefs you hold about equality.  Outside of all of this is a reality.  That reality is Charlotte has a naive and inexperienced Mayor who tried to make a name for herself at the encouragement of the HRC to pass legislation that the political climate was not ready for.  

The HRC and many of the supporters of their goals wants to inflict as much pain on Charlotte as possible.  They want to do this for a couple of reasons.

1 - They want the economic damage to grow to the point where it forces the repeal of HB2.

2 - They want the damage to the Charlotte and North Carolina economy to be so great that when they encourage other cities to pass similar ordinances the NC 'case study' deters what happened here to happen there.  

Chad Griffin can go pound sand in my book.  He does not care at all about Charlotte.  He has an agenda that is not bound to a specific area rather than a class of people.  He, if he is good at what he does, would figuratively burn Charlotte to the ground if it helped him reach his goals and the goals of the HRC.  All he needed was an inexperienced mayor who wanted to make a name and reputation to use as a puppet.  He found the perfect puppet in Roberts.  

What does he do after HB2 drops?  Well he goes after one of the major economic drivers for Charlotte.  I wonder if he ran this by Roberts first or simply does not bother with her now that he got her to do what he needed.

“If these airports comply with the discriminatory mandate of HB 2, they will be in direct violation of federal law and therefore these grant requirements,” Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin wrote to FAA Administrator Michael Huerta this month. “We urge you to take steps immediately to hold these public airports accountable and to ensure that state sanctioned – and funded – discrimination does not continue on your watch.”

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

While I don't recall any users who have come right out and said it, I do think there are people who think it.  They are following the 'leadership' on the issue like Chad Griffin - Human Rights Commission.

Regardless of what you think about HB2 or the Bathroom Ordinance that the City Council passed.  Regardless of what personal beliefs you hold about equality.  Outside of all of this is a reality.  That reality is Charlotte has a naive and inexperienced Mayor who tried to make a name for herself at the encouragement of the HRC to pass legislation that the political climate was not ready for.  

The HRC and many of the supporters of their goals wants to inflict as much pain on Charlotte as possible.  They want to do this for a couple of reasons.

1 - They want the economic damage to grow to the point where it forces the repeal of HB2.

2 - They want the damage to the Charlotte and North Carolina economy to be so great that when they encourage other cities to pass similar ordinances the NC 'case study' deters what happened here to happen there.  

Chad Griffin can go pound sand in my book.  He does not care at all about Charlotte.  He has an agenda that is not bound to a specific area rather than a class of people.  He, if he is good at what he does, would figuratively burn Charlotte to the ground if it helped him reach his goals and the goals of the HRC.  All he needed was an inexperienced mayor who wanted to make a name and reputation to use as a puppet.  He found the perfect puppet in Roberts.  

What does he do after HB2 drops?  Well he goes after one of the major economic drivers for Charlotte.  I wonder if he ran this by Roberts first or simply does not bother with her now that he got her to do what he needed.

“If these airports comply with the discriminatory mandate of HB 2, they will be in direct violation of federal law and therefore these grant requirements,” Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin wrote to FAA Administrator Michael Huerta this month. “We urge you to take steps immediately to hold these public airports accountable and to ensure that state sanctioned – and funded – discrimination does not continue on your watch.”

And there you have it. A bonafide GOP conspiracy theory.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mpretori said:

And there you have it. A bonafide GOP conspiracy theory.  

This comment is really unproductive but based on your posts I don't think you're willing or capable to have a conversation on this.  My point still stands.  It's also validated by rebuttals such as yours, but I digress.  

Have a good night.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

This comment is really unproductive but based on your posts I don't think you're willing or capable to have a conversation on this.  My point still stands.  It's also validated by rebuttals such as yours, but I digress.  

Have a good night.  

Takeaways from your post. Liberals want to destroy Charlotte economically so they can pass their liberal agenda. Who passed HB2? GOP Idiocracy strikes again! 

50 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Takeaways from your post. Liberals want to destroy Charlotte economically so they can pass their liberal agenda. Who passed HB2? GOP Idiocracy strikes again! 

Insults and painting with a big brush.  Says more about you than anything.  It's ok.  It's obvious this is an emotional subject for you and the truth that I posted is upsetting and you clearly don't have the skills developed to work through it.  I understand that and can walk away.  

This time, really, have a good night. :)  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Insults and painting with a big brush.  Says more about you than anything.  It's ok.  It's obvious this is an emotional subject for you and the truth that I posted is upsetting and you clearly don't have the skills developed to work through it.  I understand that and can walk away.  

This time, really, have a good night. :)  

You're acting like a bully and victim at the same time? But as long as you are superior to others everything is right in the world. I am Gay and i'm sick of the GOP telling me how to live my life and other LBGTQ. You live yours and ill live mine. Don't project your misery/hate onto someone who is just trying to live their life. Come up with these BS tin foil hat theories. 

• Like 1

Back to good news so some recent good news. Amazon has leased 397,000 sq ft at 10240 Old Dowd Road.  They probably wont take incentives or make a huge announcement that was the pattern at their Concord 202,000 sq ft warehouse open a year or so ago.   Anyway expect 200-400 plus jobs from this new facility. 

Here's a link to local jobs at AmazonCLT1 or AmazonCLT2 Concord or new Charlotte facility

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/locations/charlotte-northcarolina?base_query=&job_count=9&result_limit=10&sort=relevant&location[]=charlotte-northcarolina&cache

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Back to good news so some recent good news. Amazon has leased 397,000 sq ft at 10240 Old Dowd Road.  They probably wont take incentives or make a huge announcement that was the pattern at their Concord 202,000 sq ft warehouse open a year or so ago.   Anyway expect 200-400 plus jobs from this new facility. 

Here's a link to local jobs at AmazonCLT1 or AmazonCLT2 Concord or new Charlotte facility

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/locations/charlotte-northcarolina?base_query=&job_count=9&result_limit=10&sort=relevant&location[]=charlotte-northcarolina&cache

More great news. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mpretori said:

You're acting like a bully and victim at the same time? But as long as you are superior to others everything is right in the world. I am Gay and i'm sick of the GOP telling me how to live my life and other LBGTQ. You live yours and ill live mine. Don't project your misery/hate onto someone who is just trying to live their life. Come up with these BS tin foil hat theories. 

I am not a victim.  I am saying you're unable to articulate your point without insults and stereotyping anyone that does not completely agree with you.   You don't know my political views.  You don't know my sexuality.   The reason you don't is it was not presented and it does not matter to the conversation at hand.  I don't care that you're Gay or what you think of the GOP.  Those do not matter to the conversation at hand either.

I am not a bully and frankly unless you're Jennifer Roberts or Chad Griffin, my comments were not personal.    My comments were not about the issue of rights behind the bathroom ordinance or HB2.  My comments were on the political process as to how we arrived to where we are today.  I am not miserable and I do not hate.  It's obviously you're unable to remove your emotions from the issue but that does not give you the right to label those who are able to do so.  

You asked for some specific examples and I provided you with one.  I outlined clearly how Chad Griffin and the HRC would like to see more economic pain inflicted on Charlotte and North Carolina.  I walked you through this in steps.  I provided both facts and reasoning as to why he would do this.  I even identified that I understand why he is doing what he is doing.  You took all of this and tried to pass it off as a conspiracy theory.  

I would hope that you're familiar with the saying "the end justifies the means" but if you're not it's the line of thinking that says a good outcome excuses any wrongs committed to attain it.  This thinking is how some justify war.  This thinking is how some justify teachers going on strike.  This thinking, in my view, is how the HRC and many of their supporters justify any economic damage to the Charlotte economy.   

If you are someone who really believes in transgender rights then it is a perfectly acceptable position to think, heck welcome, economic damage on Charlotte NC as a good thing.  I have zero issue with anyone who thinks this way..for what it's worth.  I can see how someone can say they think the establishment of basic rights for a class of people is more important than the temporary economic growth in Charlotte.  I can see how someone would think that some city / state needed to be the battleground and accept that the process of doing so would cause some casualties but those causalities would be minor in the big picture of establishing basic rights for a class of people over the entire nation.  I find it perfectly acceptable for people to think like this.  I just wish they had the courage to say that's how they felt.  The would be noble in standing up for what they believe rather than cowardly in thinking one way but not having the courage to admit it.  

Here is just another 10 cents worth of advice for you.  Don't act like this.  It causes people to be indifferent.  Indifference allows for oppression to happen.  If you're passionate about something articulate your views and try to educate others on your perspective.  If you disagree with someone, either have a adult dialog with them or ignore them...depending on how they present themselves.  I have tried to do the former but feel the latter is the best option for this subject with you.  

Apologies to others in the thread for taking this off topic.

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

I am not a victim.  I am saying you're unable to articulate your point without insults and stereotyping anyone that does not completely agree with you.   You don't know my political views.  You don't know my sexuality.   The reason you don't is it was not presented and it does not matter to the conversation at hand.  I don't care that you're Gay or what you think of the GOP.  Those do not matter to the conversation at hand either.

I am not a bully and frankly unless you're Jennifer Roberts or Chad Griffin, my comments were not personal.    My comments were not about the issue of rights behind the bathroom ordinance or HB2.  My comments were on the political process as to how we arrived to where we are today.  I am not miserable and I do not hate.  It's obviously you're unable to remove your emotions from the issue but that does not give you the right to label those who are able to do so.  

You asked for some specific examples and I provided you with one.  I outlined clearly how Chad Griffin and the HRC would like to see more economic pain inflicted on Charlotte and North Carolina.  I walked you through this in steps.  I provided both facts and reasoning as to why he would do this.  I even identified that I understand why he is doing what he is doing.  You took all of this and tried to pass it off as a conspiracy theory.  

I would hope that you're familiar with the saying "the end justifies the means" but if you're not it's the line of thinking that says a good outcome excuses any wrongs committed to attain it.  This thinking is how some justify war.  This thinking is how some justify teachers going on strike.  This thinking, in my view, is how the HRC and many of their supporters justify any economic damage to the Charlotte economy.   

If you are someone who really believes in transgender rights then it is a perfectly acceptable position to think, heck welcome, economic damage on Charlotte NC as a good thing.  I have zero issue with anyone who thinks this way..for what it's worth.  I can see how someone can say they think the establishment of basic rights for a class of people is more important than the temporary economic growth in Charlotte.  I can see how someone would think that some city / state needed to be the battleground and accept that the process of doing so would cause some casualties but those causalities would be minor in the big picture of establishing basic rights for a class of people over the entire nation.  I find it perfectly acceptable for people to think like this.  I just wish they had the courage to say that's how they felt.  The would be noble in standing up for what they believe rather than cowardly in thinking one way but not having the courage to admit it.  

Here is just another 10 cents worth of advice for you.  Don't act like this.  It causes people to be indifferent.  Indifference allows for oppression to happen.  If you're passionate about something articulate your views and try to educate others on your perspective.  If you disagree with someone, either have a adult dialog with them or ignore them...depending on how they present themselves.  I have tried to do the former but feel the latter is the best option for this subject with you.  

Apologies to others in the thread for taking this off topic.

14_Gorilla_throw_GIF.gif

22 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

LOL that is absolutely ridiculous.  Why was it not an issue in four cities in South Carolina, of all places, and about 40 other cities around the United States?  Man, if she had just not wore such a suggestive dress, perhaps she would not have been sexually assaulted, the hussie.

I haven't read all the way back in this thread but the demeaning of cjd5050's posts is unfair based on what is on this page.  Nothing he posted is unreasonable or bigoted.  You may disagree with his views but they don't deserve to be mocked.  This is supposed to be a community where reasonable debate is encouraged.  In my opinion, the rebuttals to his views have been poorly articulated and unconvincing.  I'm against HB2 but his comments on the HRC have the ring of truth to me.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kickazzz2000 said:

LOL that is absolutely ridiculous.  Why was it not an issue in four cities in South Carolina, of all places, and about 40 other cities around the United States?  Man, if she had just not wore such a suggestive dress, perhaps she would not have been sexually assaulted, the hussie.

First off, your last line is unproductive and unnecessary.  Second, these are some good questions.  

The HRC website lists 225 Cities and Counties with Non-Discrimination Ordinances that Include Gender Identity.  On this list is the City of Chapel Hill.  So how is Chapel Hill on this list with HB2 in place?  I don't know know the specifics of what happened in South Carolina or any of these other places.  

What I do know is non-discrimination ordinances that include gender identity are not new and they are not uncommon.  So what happened in Charlotte?  As I mentioned before I am not discussing the 'play' but rather I am discussing how the 'play' was run...to use an analogy.  They are two different conversations.  They should be two different conversations.  

While I don't know how those ordinances were passed on other places I do know that North Carolina has HB2 and Charlotte does not have a law that provides protections for transgenders.  

So I'll return your question to you.  Why was it not an issue in South Carolina?  Why doesn't Charlotte have a law that these other cities do?  What was different here than in those places?  

Now the easy answer is to say it's the GOP but the GOP exists in every other place on the list above and in many states it's even more powerful.  So what was different?  Maybe those cities had more skilled politicians than Roberts and they were able to navigate the process?  That's my inference. 

Beyond that, I think it's pretty naive to think that the Human Rights Campaign would place the economy of Charlotte over their agenda.  They have a clearly defined goal and their mission is to work on that, which they are.  This includes working with politicians and using their lobby to exert influence.  Again, nothing wrong with that.  But calling the FAA to pull funds from Charlotte is a request to inflict more economic damage to Charlotte.  Which was the first question presented to illustrate an example.  

• Like 2

Several months ago I met the owner of the Nothing But Noodles right there and he told me that he was on the verge of having to close during all the construction. He also said that his wasn't the only place considering shutting their doors. Now he says business is back up to pre-construction levels and still climbing. Sounds like we were pretty close to having a few empty storefronts when the streetcar opened.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Several months ago I met the owner of the Nothing But Noodles right there and he told me that he was on the verge of having to close during all the construction. He also said that his wasn't the only place considering shutting their doors. Now he says business is back up to pre-construction levels and still climbing. Sounds like we were pretty close to having a few empty storefronts when the streetcar opened.

Elizabeth Creamery really suffered during the construction phase.  It's still open, but is now on the side street around the corner from its original Elizabeth avenue storefront.  I'm glad it survived, but it's unfortunate how much the business suffered during construction.  That being said, give them some business - the ice cream is top notch.

A couple of things I think are good news:

According to the National Association of Realtors Charlotte is a top city to move to:

http://www.realtor.com/videos/video-where-americans-are-moving-right-now-and-where-they-re-leaving-/df74402d-a4b9-4899-9ced-188eb51f4e95?playlist_id=f9fda775-117d-4128-9900-ae1ed936f201&cid=psc_videoLaunch_facebook_re_35_movingandleaving

Charlotte Chamber has put out a new Technology and Innovation guide and I think it is good resource and highlights some of our tech startups 

https://issuu.com/clt_chamber/docs/16_technology_publication_issuu/1?e=10742810/37963615

New moonshine distillery in Cabarrus County in Mt Pleasant jail is going to be a tour bus stop because of its uniqueness. That of course is good for local tourism 

http://www.independenttribune.com/news/moonshine-tourism-southern-grace-prison-could-be-attraction/article_270ac1be-6803-11e6-b1bd-fb7fb4bdde93.html

• Like 2

I hope it is Costar and I have not heard anything else in the Atlanta Business Chronicle since the story I saw saying they were looking at Charlotte or Kansas City. They would be good fit for Charlotte and they know where they could find affordable office space for sure. 

• Like 1