The Good News Report

atlrvr

5 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Ah.   Didn't see them having that many call center jobs.  I thought they were more of a software / technology company.

FWIW, I worked for a real estate platform company in San Diego 20 years ago doing 'call center' type inside sales.  Was making 80k but it was a horrible experience...because you had to deal with real estate agents.  lol.    I hope they pay more than $45k to deal with agents. :)

It is indeed about $45k for this job. Range is $39k - $53k on glassdoor for a Research Associate/Analyst. You basically call and verify the data CoStar has on its page to make sure the data is good - it isn't even sales. It is: "Hello this is CoStar, we are showing this building as 125,000 square feet. Is that true? It is - great thank you." Update database, move on to the next property.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/CoStar-Group-Research-Associate-Salaries-E7901_D_KO13,31.htm

14 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

It is indeed about $45k for this job. Range is $39k - $53k on glassdoor for a Research Associate/Analyst. You basically call and verify the data CoStar has on its page to make sure the data is good - it isn't even sales. It is: "Hello this is CoStar, we are showing this building as 125,000 square feet. Is that true? It is - great thank you." Update database, move on to the next property.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/CoStar-Group-Research-Associate-Salaries-E7901_D_KO13,31.htm

If that's the job....that's a very good paycheck for the job.  

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte is named by CNBC as one of the top 5 best places to start a business in USA http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/11/the-top-20-metro-areas-to-start-a-business-in-america.html?__source=newsletter|makeitweekly?slide=17

Maybe it's my ad blockers but wish I could see how posts like this go about their rankings.  e.g. CLT has a quality of life of 136 out of 300.  I would love to know where the 164 point deduction came from.

4 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Maybe it's my ad blockers but wish I could see how posts like this go about their rankings.  e.g. CLT has a quality of life of 136 out of 300.  I would love to know where the 164 point deduction came from.

I'm sure at least a 100 pt deduction came from the list makers reading the Charlotte Observer comments sections online.

• Like 3

Sealed Air had 90% of those asked to move to Charlotte move here way above what they expected which was closer to 50%. This has resulted in 100 more jobs than the 1262 they promised. Charlotte remains a very popular place to move to for all the reasons we know. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/16/exclusivesealed-air-ceo-charlotte-workforce-now.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2016-08-16&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1471384187&j=75454842

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, mpretori said:

Please note most major corporate relocation's in the news in Charlotte are Pre-HB2.  Only 1 post-HB2 out of state relo, to my knowledge, and that's for 60 something jobs. 

Please note that the NBA All Star Game was awarded pre-HB2, moved after.

The fact that Sealed Air attracted much more expected to Charlotte means individuals are still choosing to move here. New companies follow employees and this bodes well for Charlotte.  Lets keep this thread to good news just my opinion for there are many other places to talk about other issues. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The fact that Sealed Air attracted much more expected to Charlotte means individuals are still choosing to move here. New companies follow employees and this bodes well for Charlotte.  Lets keep this thread to good news just my opinion for there are many other places to talk about other issues. 

To be fair...it's not that hard of a sell to get people to move out of New Jersey.  That state is a dumpster fire.  

• Like 1

40 plus companies on the INC 5000's fastest growing list in the Charlotte area including the fastest growing company in NC! Lots of tech companies and a very diverse list including sushi. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/17/forty-charlotte-area-companies-make-this-years-inc.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2016-08-17&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1471472460&j=75468682

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That is certainly true, but companies Sealed Air attracts wont necessarily be knowledge based companies and rather service based. But that said, making statements like "Good news certainly seems to be outweighing bad news." isn't true. 

Edited by mpretori

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

That is certainly true, but companies Sealed Air attracts wont necessarily be knowledge based companies and rather service based. But that said, making statements like "Good news certainly seems to be outweighing bad news." isn't true. 

Sealed Air's Charlotte employment is definitely knowledge based. It's mainly Research & development, product management, supply chain management, finance, and HR. Average salary is $119,000 for positions created in CLT. Probably higher than the average bank salary due to all the chemists, engineers, and scientists. They've colocated about 50 employees in a UNCC lab for now as well until the campus is built. It was a huge win for the city.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Sealed Air's Charlotte employment is definitely knowledge based. It's mainly Research & development, product management, supply chain management, finance, and HR. Average salary is $119,000 for positions created in CLT. Probably higher than the average bank salary due to all the chemists, engineers, and scientists. They've colocated about 50 employees in a UNCC lab for now as well until the campus is built. It was a huge win for the city.

I dont think you are understanding what i am saying. I'm saying that the companies Sealed Air will attract will be serviced based. "

Edited by mpretori

2 minutes ago, mpretori said:

I dont think you are understanding what i am saying. I'm saying that the companies Sealed Air will attract will be serviced based. "

Yeah I don't think I'm getting it. You mean by them establishing an HQ here, the additional jobs we get our service jobs like dry cleaners, restaurants, barber, etc... to serve the new residents and workers?

Edited by CLT2014

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Yeah I don't think I'm getting it. You mean by them establishing an HQ here, the additional jobs we get our service jobs like dry cleaners, restaurants, barber, etc... to serve the new residents and workers?

Exactly, KJHburg was insinuating the HQ relocation would spur new knowledge based companies to also relocate here. When in reality, that's not going to happen to that extent. Companies that come in will be serviced based to serve the Sealed Air workers in form is dry cleaners, restaurants, barbers, and etc. 

This is what I meant:   People are choosing to move to Charlotte pure and simple. When a company gets 90% of the people asked to move here expecting only 50% to move , Charlotte must be an attractive place for these people for a variety of reasons. I do think the success of SealedAir will resonate with other companies that are looking to consolidate their employees in one spot.  But the overall point for whatever negative attention you think Charlotte and NC has had, people are choosing to vote with their feet and are  moving here. That was my sole  point.  Most relocations do not get that high a percentage of people to move. It says something positive about SealedAir and it says something positive about Charlotte.  I am sorry if I see the positives in things. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is what I meant:   People are choosing to move to Charlotte pure and simple. When a company gets 90% of the people asked to move here expecting only 50% to move , Charlotte must be an attractive place for these people for a variety of reasons. I do think the success of SealedAir will resonate with other companies that are looking to consolidate their employees in one spot.  But the overall point for whatever negative attention you think Charlotte and NC has had, people are choosing to vote with their feet and are  moving here. That was my sole  point.  Most relocations do not get that high a percentage of people to move. It says something positive about SealedAir and it says something positive about Charlotte.  I am sorry if I see the positives in things. 

This relocation happened before HB2. This wasn't a paypal move where they had the chance to back out. No major company would make plans to relocate to Charlotte post HB2. My beef is with dale saying cutsie remarks such as   "Good news certainly seems to be outweighing bad news."

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I thought your point was clear, but I do know that sometimes I read things and come away with a completely different meaning than the person who wrote it. I honestly think it was a misunderstanding of what you meant.

With that said...I do get the idea that some people (and I am not saying this is or is not mpretori) really WANT the fallout from HB2 to be bad. They are rooting for it because they see that as their only power against what I continue to believe was a dumb move by the NCGA. It's one thing to worry there will be unfortunate consequences from HB2. It's another to be disappointed because the consequences haven't been as bad as one expected (or, were bad in a few cases immediately after the law was passed and then began to slowly die off - with the exception of the NBA Allstar postponement of course). That has been my biggest irritation with the some of the comments about the fallout over HB2.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jednc said:

I thought your point was clear, but I do know that sometimes I read things and come away with a completely different meaning than the person who wrote it. I honestly think it was a misunderstanding of what you meant.

With that said...I do get the idea that some people (and I am not saying this is or is not mpretori) really WANT the fallout from HB2 to be bad. They are rooting for it because they see that as their only power against what I continue to believe was a dumb move by the NCGA. It's one thing to worry there will be unfortunate consequences from HB2. It's another to be disappointed because the consequences haven't been as bad as one expected (or, were bad in a few cases immediately after the law was passed and then began to slowly die off - with the exception of the NBA Allstar postponement of course). That has been my biggest irritation with the some of the comments about the fallout over HB2.

IF your saying the impact from HB2 hasnt been bad then your are sorely mistaken . Nobody is rooting for anything, this is reality. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article91375582.html

12 hours ago, mpretori said:

IF your saying the impact from HB2 hasnt been bad then your are sorely mistaken . Nobody is rooting for anything, this is reality. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article91375582.html

Def. not saying it hasn't been bad. Just saying some people wish it was worse. I wish for it to be as little as possible.