The Good News Report

atlrvr

On 12/7/2023 at 5:04 PM, RANYC said:

No, not good news at all.  It means Levine digging in on leaving this gaping moor in the pit of our city center, devoid of any life for almost the entirety of the year except for what will be this 3-day, overpriced, litter-generating, drug-binging revelry. 

I actually agree with your overall point but the way you wrote this sentence just cracked me up

old.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

I actually agree with your overall point but the way you wrote this sentence just cracked me up

old.jpg

OK, fair, fair.  Having said all that, I'm actually a huge Post Malone fan and really want to hear him live and can't think of a better way to do so than outdoors in the spring.  I'm also curious to see how the festival configures this part of Uptown to accommodate the event.  So yes, I'll be there, albeit sober and probably still annoyed 70% of the time.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Rough seeing DC 5th in demand but not even on the supply list lol

How so? (I’m not as familiar with the metro as much as specifically DC. I just know they’re building a lot of skyscrapers & keep trying to steal our goodies)

We, DC,  had the 5th most amount of units added between 2020-2022 by city limits (in 61 sq. Miles)

Metro wise, 9th in 2023.

DC also had The top two zip codes for new apartment units https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/top-zip-codes-apartment-construction/

Not to mention most of our units are urban. 

And we’re the ones who lost population & have hundreds of square miles less than other booming cities yet DC still added more? we’ll see what2024 holds. I’m not pessimistic given the last decade and the last 3 years.

Im going to put my money on another fabulous year (relative to the overall market), I’m just glad there’s demand in our dying city lol. We’re still net negative as a metro since 2020, still down in the city.

Which is why I make it a point to mention… what kind of growth do you want? Giant population booms don’t translate to urbanity.

Showing the graph below mostly because of NYC and how despite population losses still has a ton of development despite its reputation for population loss.

IMG_2879.thumb.jpeg.3102a5f2e95a8a8302da7a95f7a50e3b.jpeg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

Plenty of people the metro is growing at one of the fastest rates in the nation and now tops over 8 million.

The Ewings would like to have a word with you. remember these views are from 1978,

DART already the largest light rail network in the US is expanding and building its own Silver Line now.

Silver Line Project (dart.org)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Most transplants to Texas are coming from areas of California  away from the coast (Riverside, San Bernardino, inland Los Angeles, inland SF Bay Area, et....) that are also brown and concrete jungle metros. Dallas can seem relatively "green" compared to those areas even, especially in summer, for a fraction of the cost of living. Compared to the East Coast though, Dallas definitely feels brown/treeless. 

Every time people visit from our Dallas office they always comment on the trees and greenery.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, SouthernSkyline said:

Every time people visit from our Dallas office they always comment on the trees and greenery.

I go to Dallas a couple times a year and clients always tell me they love the Carolinas and many express a desire to retire here.  They're grinding in Dallas where there isn't much around them to make them feel they're missing anything when they're slaving away for long hours at the office.  Here in the Carolinas with our treed landscapes, hillsides, mountain escapes, there are plenty of distractions and diversions.  Yes, Dallas metro is booming, but it's also important to note that the 8 million spans a geographical area of I think 10,000+ square miles, whereas Charlotte's metro is. more like 3,000 square miles.  Also, given how flat and barren it is, I think there may be fewer impediments to runaway construction and sprawl in Dallas.  Here, we sorta have more to protect and preserve and leave undisturbed and work around.  So yea, I'm happy for Dallas and would highly encourage its natives and its new arrivals to stay put, please.

• Like 3

Top 10 counties for wealth increase in NC so says Smart Asset and the Charlotte metro is well represented as is of course the Triangle.

Resources for Financial Advisors (smartasset.com)

3 coastal counties make the list as from north to south and in that same order of wealth growth Currituck (OBX) and Pender and Brunswick (metro Wilmington) 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 11:59 PM, Phillydog said:

30 years most Americans couldn't find North Carolina on a map.  Now, it's regularly at the top of the list of place to move/retire and I'd bet 3/4 of Americans  still don't know much about NC.  The more people who move here the more people people learn that NC is arguably the best state (most beautiful) on the East Coast.  I'm one of those who came here 35 years from New England thinking the tallest mountain in eastern North America was Mount Washington and Cape Hatteras was the place snowstorms formed.  About the rest -- nothing.  You natives - I hope you know how miraculous North Carolina is.  

It's kind of shocking how many people from the Northeast seem to think Mt. Washington is the tallest mountain in the east. I even know one guy who thought the Adirondacks were the highest peaks in the east (???). Not sure how it's possible to be so confidently wrong in the age of modern information accessibility lol. A 5 second Google search proves them wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Just had a work Christmas party and were talking with a couple from Connecticut.  They (middle age couple) asked where we were from and we said Charlotte.  He asked what state is that in.   "Charlotte, North Carolina...you know, Panthers, Hornets, etc".  "Oh yeah! I feel bad for you, the Panthers stink, I'm a Pats fan".   This coming when the Pats were 2-10. LOL

People in New England area have always been oblivious to anything out of the northeast and I don't see that changing anytime soon!

Yeah it’s pretty sad. They have no clue where anything is on a map.  I lived in Boston once upon a time and it’s true 

• Like 1