The Good News Report

atlrvr

On 10/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, J-Rob said:

"Poor performance" might be generous if considering the record since 2018. "Painful, "disappointing," and "cringeworthy" come to mind for me, lol

But very glad for the addition of Charlotte FC and the increased programming in Uptown! Can't deny the positive impact of those decisions. 

from Twitter tonight about the match

""66,101 people at 
@CharlotteFC
 match tonight at BofA Stadium. Capacity is 74,000""

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

"They need their own tower somewhere uptown"

Or a new, modern and not-yet-occupied headquarters facility that would look really cool for a clean energy company located in the University City area somewhere..........

Deriva Energy's new CEO lives in Ballantyne Country Club. I'd say very little chance he steers the company towards a headquarters location that gives himself a 30 mile commute each way to the opposite side of the metro. If anything, now that he has more control over the company, he may move it to Ballantyne over University if he went suburban. In midsize companies like this... CEOs play a big role in vetoing site locations.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Haha 2

Does anyone in Charlotte have a lower approval rating than Tepper right now?  I have to say, I was kind of excited when he bought the team and I heard about all of the investments he was going to make (new HQ, new stadium, new social district, etc), but man it has all turned into a giant pile of crap in record time.   I really do wonder if all of this is going to effect his ability to secure funding for a stadium in Charlotte.  I would have scoffed about that a year ago, but he has really conjured up some vitriol from the fanbase.  

• Thanks 4

The Defense is pretty strong, and the running game can be good as well.  Young is the 3rd #1 pick quarterback on this team in the past 4 years, none have owned the team like CAM did, or like Terry Bradshaw in Pittsburg, Montana in SF, etc.  Maybe it is the play calling and not the team on the field.

16 hours ago, CTiger said:

Does anyone in Charlotte have a lower approval rating than Tepper right now?  I have to say, I was kind of excited when he bought the team and I heard about all of the investments he was going to make (new HQ, new stadium, new social district, etc), but man it has all turned into a giant pile of crap in record time.   I really do wonder if all of this is going to effect his ability to secure funding for a stadium in Charlotte.  I would have scoffed about that a year ago, but he has really conjured up some vitriol from the fanbase.  

I don't think it is in his plans any more to build a new stadium. I think it will be renovations on the current stadium for a long while. I could be wrong though of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

For sure, these alone would be celebrated.  It's the meddling in decisions with rumors of dissent between Young (Tepper's) and Stroud (Front Office/Coaches) or being swindled by smooth talkers (Ruhle/Zoran).  Hiring his wife into leadership and then not knowing league rules to certify her role in the position.  Not following other expansion teams successful MLS model of building through familiarity with the cap, academy and league rules but hires a sporting director with cocky statements like "if you can play against Holland, you can play in Salt Lake"  The constant turnstile of executives at TS&E.  Getting rid of team traditions (e.g., KEEP POUNDING) before games.  The Rock Hill and Eastland fiascos, saying laying off people early in COVID was a "human decision".

Extra events for our city is absolutely celebrated but literally everything else about the guy has been less than ideal.

Dang, well when you put it like that...

Ouch. 

Let's just hope he learns from these situations and turns things in a more successful direction.  Its hard to even turn on the tv on Sunday right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Charlotte headquarters: Six Flags.

"The combined company will be headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, and will maintain significant finance and administrative operations in Sandusky, Ohio."

https://investors.sixflags.com/news-and-events/press-releases/2023/11-02-2023-100020810

$3B+ in revenue would put it in the Fortune 1000. The HQ was probably set by Cedar Fair CEO Richard Zimmerman, who already lives on Lake Norman and has worked within the company since becoming GM of Kings Dominion in 1998.

Edited by paytonc
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Dang, well when you put it like that...

Ouch. 

Let's just hope he learns from these situations and turns things in a more successful direction.  Its hard to even turn on the tv on Sunday right now.

I feel as though almost nothing owned by hedge fund guys is held to “maturity.”  Tepper negotiates and secures taxpayer funding for a renovated stadium/concert venue and expanded practice fields/facilities, then he sells team with those commitments in tow which yield higher bids than he could get otherwise, and this on top of an already well appreciated asset…at least on paper by the valuation agents…fan appreciation has plummeted.

Edited by RANYC

22 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

For sure, these alone would be celebrated.  It's the meddling in decisions with rumors of dissent between Young (Tepper's) and Stroud (Front Office/Coaches) or being swindled by smooth talkers (Ruhle/Zoran).  Hiring his wife into leadership and then not knowing league rules to certify her role in the coaching search.  Not following other expansion teams successful MLS model of building through familiarity with the cap, academy and league rules but hires a player agent as sporting director with cocky statements like "if you can play against Holland, you can play in Salt Lake"  The constant turnstile of executives at TS&E.  Getting rid of team traditions (e.g., KEEP POUNDING) before games.  The Rock Hill and Eastland fiascos, saying laying off people early in COVID was a "human decision".

Extra events for our city is absolutely celebrated but literally everything else about the guy has been less than ideal.

Seems like today’s firing brings one more example of Tepper’s ‘interesting’ management style:

Wednesday’s firing will leave Charlotte FC looking for its third head coach for its third season, which starts in February.

Edited by kermit