The Good News Report

atlrvr

Perhaps good news for the international exposure perhaps bad news if international embarrassment of our team. 

""Carolina Panthers to Play in Germany in 2024 

The Panthers have been making plenty of trips to and building plenty of fans in Germany over the last few years. Now, they will be playing a game there.

This morning, the NFL announced the Panthers have been designated to play in Munich next season.

"It's an honor for the Carolina Panthers to play in Munich in 2024," Panthers owner David Tepper said. "This game represents more than playing internationally for us. With more than 200 German-owned companies in the Charlotte area, this opportunity offers a special connection for the Panthers and our community. We are excited to deepen our relationships with our German fans, engage with our partners, and continue to grow our brand globally."

The date, opponent, and ticket information for the Munich game will be determined at a later date.""

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Perhaps good news for the international exposure perhaps bad news if international embarrassment of our team. 

""Carolina Panthers to Play in Germany in 2024 

The Panthers have been making plenty of trips to and building plenty of fans in Germany over the last few years. Now, they will be playing a game there.

This morning, the NFL announced the Panthers have been designated to play in Munich next season.

"It's an honor for the Carolina Panthers to play in Munich in 2024," Panthers owner David Tepper said. "This game represents more than playing internationally for us. With more than 200 German-owned companies in the Charlotte area, this opportunity offers a special connection for the Panthers and our community. We are excited to deepen our relationships with our German fans, engage with our partners, and continue to grow our brand globally."

The date, opponent, and ticket information for the Munich game will be determined at a later date.""

I'd encourage a delegation of city officials and city planners to also visit and attend this game but while there, take lessons from Munich on making urban density very livable. I'd love for Munich to be a model of what we strive for here in Charlotte from its cultural institutions to its gathering places to its gardens.  Not all of council though.  If some of council show up, it may actually cause our growing economic connectedness to Germany to retrench.

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I'll be there, do I count?

The only thing that impresses me about Munich other than historic structures is the underground where I usually eat. I like the Hofbrauhaus and visit the English Garden where there are some hot women almost nude in good weather, but after a few days in Munich, it's time to move on. Like most tourist cities, we become infatuated.  Don't see how we could model after it without destroying our modern architecture and reinstalling really bad plumbing like much of Germany has, i.e. steam heat, circa 1950s school buildngs. Good place to visit or enven live for a while. But, I'd prefer to keep Charlotte. Some of their tourist spots would be nice. 

• Like 3

On 1/11/2024 at 11:26 PM, atlrvr said:

I'm always hesitant to post this because I know I'm just going to hear objections on why they are so dissimilar, but every time I go to Miami Beach I just feel like it's a great ambition for Charlotte.

It's a city that has no meaningful mass transit, parking garages above ground everywhere, curb cuts for cars everywhere, people driving for the sake to drive (show off)....but, one of the most urban, walkable places anywhere.

The infrastructure is very cost efficient but effective.  The sidewalks are all very we wide (no useless planting strips).  Pedestrian medians.  Blocked off bike lanes.  Lots of connections to the boardwalk/Greenway.  Mix of dirt cheap old apartments next to $$$ condos.  Single family homes on small lots, and golf courses.  Retail all over, but only on main streets (not forcing it in places that it doesn't make sense).  TGIFridays within a block or so of a Michelin star restaurant,  and cash only dive bars. It also feels incredibly safe to walk anywhere on the island in the middle of night despite all the vices present, and homeless barely is noticeable.

Anyway, I just got back again, and felt like sharing that it actually is somewhat achievable for Charlotte, and not an old European city that is effectively impossible to emulate.

Much of Munich's built environment isn't really that old.  The city was reduced to rubble during WWII, and rebuilt itself to become one of Europe's most livable and sustainably designed and managed cities, with much of that growth and design happening post-war. 

It is a city with lots of walkability, but the car ownership rate in Munich is well over 50% and city balances acceptance and accommodation of cars quite well.  It does a great job of place-making, finding opportunities for engaging civic place-making anywhere the government owns/controls assets.  So while there would be constraints on Charlotte's ability to model Munich, I would't rush to dismiss it as impossible to emulate.  It is a highly desirable city and so housing goes for a premium versus other places in Germany, but housing product is varied and is more accessible than in Miami.  Munich is a highly-educated/highly-skilled place and all levels of government seem to be in service to the attribute.  Miami Beach doesn't seem to showcase or show off that attribute but I could be wrong. 

And by the way, I imagine a city like Munich, successful on so many fronts internationally, could be a model for a growing city without requiring full imitation.  Not proposing Charlotte imitate anywhere, but see the model and incorporate properties that will work here.  For example, Charlotte will probably never be able to imitate Munich's gun violence or property crime rate.

As for land-constrained Miami Beach, sure, there are elements to emulate, many of which we are already being incorporated here in Charlotte and increasing in prevalence over time.  Personally, I think Charlotte's center city is positioned to deliver a higher-quality and more inclusive urban experience in the near future than Miami Beach.  Of course, you must adjust for the fact that there are some who will always prize Miami Beach over Charlotte because the one place is book-ended by an ocean and an intracoastal waterway system with ample boating and water rec accesses.  Also, one place is pretty much summer roughly 340 out of 365 days a year.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

On 1/12/2024 at 9:57 AM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Booking my next Solo Trip to the Munich English Garden....  in the summertime....

Just booked my hotel in Berlin (Mitte). I'll take notes.  I'll be going back and forth from Frankfort (Hb). I see Frankfort as much like Charlotte. It's a business center and not a big tourists draw. The only thing that I really would like to see in regard to copying Europe is Innercity transportation. There are only a handful of cities in the U.S, that are really close. However, in many European cities, it is very difficult to own a car due to restrictive parking, etc. I love public transport, yet I like the freedom of being able to have a car that is easily accessable as well. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rancenc said:

The state legislature is exploring the competitiveness of NC in attracting more film production into the Tarheel State.

https://nsjonline.com/article/2024/01/new-committee-will-examine-film-industry-opportunities/

Didn't NC once have a booming film production scene? What happened to it?

Timeline of NC film industry policy, tax credit, grants | Raleigh News & Observer (newsobserver.com)

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 10:38 AM, KJHburg said:

F ➤ With 35,258 apartments under construction as of November, the metro’s construction pipeline remained robust. Roughly 85.0% were in market-rate developments and the rest were part of fully or partially affordable projects. Another 93,894 units were in the planning and permitting stages. ➤

No matter how many times I read these numbers I cannot wrap my head around how massive they are. There are 35,000 multifamily units under construction right now?! That's incredible.  I can remember back in the mid 90s when what was then called "The Grandview" was basically the only new multi-story apartments in the entire region. Fast forward 30 years and there are THREE multi-story developments in downtown  Concord no less. The Charlotte market is truly remarkable. Thanks for your post.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...