Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

Do we have height limits set for anywhere in the city?  If not, I'd like to see them put some restrictions on Elizabeth.  It's obviously not an issue now, but in the future, I'd really prefer to see this area fill out with 5-6 story mixed use buildings as opposed to an odd ball 20 story tower.

Do we have height limits set for anywhere in the city?  If not, I'd like to see them put some restrictions on Elizabeth.  It's obviously not an issue now, but in the future, I'd really prefer to see this area fill out with 5-6 story mixed use buildings as opposed to an odd ball 20 story tower.

There is a 220 foot height restriction based on the MUDD zoning, I believe. I don't mind there being some 10-20 floor buildings sprinkled in, there are some medical buildings in the area with decent height already.

CO article about the proposed tower.  Levine's reps are saying it will be about 25 stories with roughly 155 apartments/condos and 175 hotel rooms. Neighbors are of course not happy about it, saying they were promised views.   Views are never promised and there have been proposals for the site before.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/04/29/4873840/levine-seeks-285-foot-hotel-at.html

*Edit:  the article was updated and the reps are saying it will be a signature tower with a "glass wall" along the park side.

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 1

Seems like a shallow argument on the part of the adjacent condo owner. Wouldn't a much shorter building still block her views, say something 8 floors or less? How can you buy in a growing urban district and believe a dirt lot is not going to one day develop?

Reports are that Levine plans to construct the proposed building using fairy dust and unicorn horns.

*Breaking News*

I hear he is going to pour 4 feet thick of asphalt and build the worlds tallest surface lot.

I do think this has a chance of happening.

A tower was always planned for the site. So I wonder what this lady and the other condo owners were told would be at the site. A tower was always in the master plan.

maybe the can design a hole in the building just for her to see through.

I do find the comments intereting as well. I wonder why is 285feet too high? Does it obstruct airplane flights or some thing? I think the height should allow for a few more rooms. Especially considering one goal would be the Super Bowl the more rooms the better. I know we still need some additional upgrades to BoA stadium. I hope this project does take off. The building may add some character to the Sugar Creek Greenway.

People like that lady really get under my skin. What do they expect when they buy into a building that is on the edge of a downtown in a city that is growing at a break neck speed. I'm pretty sure her building blocked someone else's view.

This aspect of the discussion and the protest petition really frustrate me.  The tower WAS ALWAYS PART OF THE MASTER PLAN.  When you buy a property, you don't just assume that the first phase will be the last completed section, you check for what is approved and what is planned in the area to see if you are comfortable with that.  

I do happen to know that many realtors do their best to skirt the issue of future development, relying on the uncertainty to create comfort in the buyer that a lot will probably remain a lawn for a long time.  But eventually, things happen.    This person's view will be blocked by a 6 story, 25-story, or 100-story tower.  She wants it to remain status quo, which is absurd to expect from city life, especially when those plans have always been public.

The Pink Building never had an approved zoning or long time plan before they bought showing what would go there, so it is a bit different.  That project failed because of macro-economic conditions not because of a protest petition.

I mean, it isn't like I would disagree with the county making a larger park, but it has always been beyond clear that it was a future development, including during the news that the land was being sold to a developer.  She just took solace in the fact that it was an incompetent developer.

Oh, better yet, I'm not sure Karen Combs actually lives there versus as an investment property.  She and her husband sold a 5ksf mansion in Myers Park for $1.85M last July, but had owned this penthouse condo since 2008 (bought for 700k).  http://meckcama.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/RElookup/Property/Print?parcelId=15504205

I find it almost impossible to believe the Combs moved from a huge mansion to the Met Lofts, building C of Met-Midtown.  My ex lived in that building, and while it was nice, it was too utilitarian for her.   However, I guess it is possibly they did buy it at a bad time and then decide to downsize to it this year.  But what Myers Park gentry in their right mind would buy in building C unless there was a nice skyline view...  They bought this unit for $700k, so of course it does (even though they are worth much less than that now).  Ms. Sourpuss has plenty of view, she just doesn't want to see a new tower in her PERIPHERAL view. 

I do understand that it is not as nice to see the base of a tower versus a park and greenway, but the fact remains that it has been public information all along, so it was factored into the market price of the units all along, in theory.   She also had ever ability to sell their condo a year or two ago.  

Here is her next door neighbor's view, which just got listed for sale last week (likely due to same concerns).  Not something that is really that tragic to have a hotel/condo tower just left of frame.

IStkzhfspnkj7c0000000000.jpg

• Like 2

Does someone have a rendering of the proposed building??

Edit; NVM - 3 pages back

Nah, thats the original renderings from the project. I suspect we will have something a little different. But with that said, the fact that original renderings of a 20+ floor building exist, people shouldn't be so naive.

This aspect of the discussion and the protest petition really frustrate me.  The tower WAS ALWAYS PART OF THE MASTER PLAN.  When you buy a property, you don't just assume that the first phase will be the last completed section, you check for what is approved and what is planned in the area to see if you are comfortable with that.  

I do happen to know that many realtors do their best to skirt the issue of future development, relying on the uncertainty to create comfort in the buyer that a lot will probably remain a lawn for a long time.  But eventually, things happen.    This person's view will be blocked by a 6 story, 25-story, or 100-story tower.  She wants it to remain status quo, which is absurd to expect from city life, especially when those plans have always been public.

I totally agree.  I was listening to either WBT radio or WFAE this morning and they had reported that the city commissioners need to have the final approval on the height of this project.  I could only wish and hope that they agree to this with a HUGE caveat.  That would be to start building in 1st Ward before you create this tower.  Uptown (inside the loop specifically) should be priority over this project in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Well would you look at that!  City council votes 9-0 in favor of the rezoning of the Levine 25 story hotel and apartment project.  This is looking more and more likely to be moving forward...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/05/19/4919850/charlotte-city-council-approves.html#.U3rFdPldUmM

Some people's heads are going to explode if this gets going before Levine-land...

Some people's heads are going to explode if this gets going before Levine-land...

In all honesty, why bother rezoning an area already zoned for 22 stories up to 25...unless you actually plan to build?  I think this sucker might be a go.

• Like 1