Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

On 12/19/2021 at 6:30 AM, nite owℓ said:

Although the front yard festival kinda looked like a  giant shantytown, it was really nice to see all of the outdoor activities in an otherwise desolate area. IIRC, they used to refer to the front lawn as the fourth stage (or something like that) during the planning phase so I'm glad they had the foresight to see the potential of the plaza space.

I wonder what was the big rush to dismantle everything... sure C0VID numbers have been trending down lately but it doesn't seem like they took into account spikes in infection after holiday gatherings. Winter is coming...

I found the Front Yard frustrating with all the traffic, trains, and general city noise. I went to a UCF concert there and had a really hard time concentrating. 

I love the idea of a "Front Yard" venue. Maybe it should be moved to Loch Haven Park? 

Edited by RedStar25
Left out a word.
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 9:15 AM, JFW657 said:

Re: the open plaza....

On the plus side you get an expansive view of the DPAC from Orange Ave and the two e/w side streets. 

On the negative side, you've got a big suburban front lawn in the middle of DTO 

Makes the entire thing look unfinished.

Yet at the Pulse Memorial the entire Plaza served as the "Front Lawn" for thousands of people. Maybe if the fountain is ever constructed it might remedy your concerns?

• 1 month later...

IPW 2022, a very significant travel trade show, will be in Orlando June 408. The main event is at OCC, but the City is hosting a downtown night. The attendees will not only enjoy our "eclectic mix of historic homes, gleaming office buildings, world-class restaurants, and luxurious, high-end hotels", but they will also be treated to an unforgettable evening at Steinmetz Hall which will include;  A dozen musicians playing Vivaldi’s classic Four Seasons as aerialists descend to the stage from above, showcasing the mood and beauty of the acoustically perfect Steinmetz Hall. A local choir presenting a vocal ensemble of 20 singers hitting their high notes in perfect harmony. A spectacular laser light show bringing back all the elements in a collective, grand finale with the band, aerialist, dancers, saxophone player, choir, lights and lasers.

woohoo!!!

https://www.visitorlando.com/ipw-orlando-2022/evening-events/destination-downtown-evening-event/

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 9:15 AM, JFW657 said:

Re: the open plaza....

On the plus side you get an expansive view of the DPAC from Orange Ave and the two e/w side streets. 

On the negative side, you've got a big suburban front lawn in the middle of DTO 

Makes the entire thing look unfinished.

they change their "plans" mid-stream it seems all the time.  I knew the group putting the plan together for the hotel that was to go on the north parcel opposite Grand Bohemian.  That deal fell through.  Then, the CNL people's deal didn't materialize for the south parcel with that silver-looking tower.  So, Orlando pulled a Daytona; they decided, since we can't get a hotel on the beach, let's build a public park with beach access, hence, the Senef or whatever plaza.  totally an afterthought to the original plan.

it was supposed to be like those renderings with the central strip with buildings/balconies on its sides...  now, though,..

they even had a proposal to put an apartment tower over the back lot facing Rosalind ala Citicorp Center in NYC I guess...

and then that hotel that was supposed to go across Anderson at Magnolia...that didn't materialize either.  

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

they change their "plans" mid-stream it seems all the time.  I knew the group putting the plan together for the hotel that was to go on the north parcel opposite Grand Bohemian.  That deal fell through.  Then, the CNL people's deal didn't materialize for the south parcel with that silver-looking tower.  So, Orlando pulled a Daytona; they decided, since we can't get a hotel on the beach, let's build a public park with beach access, hence, the Senef or whatever plaza.  totally an afterthought to the original plan.

it was supposed to be like those renderings with the central strip with buildings/balconies on its sides...  now, though,..

they even had a proposal to put an apartment tower over the back lot facing Rosalind ala Citicorp Center in NYC I guess...

and then that hotel that was supposed to go across Anderson at Magnolia...that didn't materialize either.  

Orlando. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Orlando. 

yeah. I'm not so sure the CNL tower portion will get built.  ever since Covid and the advent of Zoom and working from home, a lot of corporations are preferring their employees stay home and they're not so quick to commit to buku office space as before.  So, I wonder how that will pan out.  I presume that if CNL was still interested in doing something, it would totally be mixed use like Truist Plaza except that I think they would build a parking garage opposite Anderson with a skywalk.  I thought there was some proposal for the like back during the boom.

I think a hotel would have more traction, though, with all of the events now booking there to pool patrons from...

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

yeah. I'm not so sure the CNL tower portion will get built.  ever since Covid and the advent of Zoom and working from home, a lot of corporations are preferring their employees stay home and they're not so quick to commit to buku office space as before.  So, I wonder how that will pan out.  I presume that if CNL was still interested in doing something, it would totally be mixed use like Truist Plaza except that I think they would build a parking garage opposite Anderson with a skywalk.  I thought there was some proposal for the like back during the boom.

I think a hotel would have more traction, though, with all of the events now booking there to pool patrons from...

DTO has seemed to be trending much more towards residential high rise construction than office for the past several years.

Nothing wrong with that.

There never has been a huge demand for office space there anyway.  

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

DTO has seemed to be trending much more towards residential high rise construction than office for the past several years.

Nothing wrong with that.

High density residential construction is actually ideal. There is a need for that. The problem is construction costs still make the rent too damn high. 

More people living downtown is better, as it will create organic activity and business and everything that goes with it. BUT, if they are blowin all their money on rent and no businesses on the ground floor are viable because of rent, then, well, you get a bunch of people sitting in studio apartment castles in the sky with not much going on. 

I still think more interested people living downtown is better, but there are some things that are incongruent currently and it isn't working as modeled. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

High density residential construction is actually ideal. There is a need for that. The problem is construction costs still make the rent too damn high. 

More people living downtown is better, as it will create organic activity and business and everything that goes with it. BUT, if they are blowin all their money on rent and no businesses on the ground floor are viable because of rent, then, well, you get a bunch of people sitting in studio apartment castles in the sky with not much going on. 

I still think more interested people living downtown is better, but there are some things that are incongruent currently and it isn't working as modeled. 

Well, rents are certainly high, but salaries have gone up appreciably, too.

I'm pretty sure that many if not most downtown rental units are shared amongst multiple tenants/wage earners so that would help a lot.

Dual income couples, roommates, etc.

A person making $15 an hour grosses $600 per week = $2400 per month.  If that person shares a 3 bedroom condo, their monthly share of the rent would be about $1,000. It would be tight but doable. Might have to get a p/t second job.

I'm guessing most of the people who live down there make a good bit more than that, though.

Probably $50k or better. 

High rent and construction costs/operating costs for ground floor businesses/retail is definitely NOT working. 

I believe we have discussed this previously, but the mandate for groundfloor retail has failed and there is either rampant vacancies or revolving door failures in a lot of ground floor space of new buildings. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

High rent and construction costs/operating costs for ground floor businesses/retail is definitely NOT working. 

I believe we have discussed this previously, but the mandate for groundfloor retail has failed and there is either rampant vacancies or revolving door failures in a lot of ground floor space of new buildings. 

I think clustering is key. South Eola seems to be reaching some critical mass in that regard. Having an anchor like Publix probably doesn’t hurt.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:42 PM, spenser1058 said:

I think clustering is key. South Eola seems to be reaching some critical mass in that regard. Having an anchor like Publix probably doesn’t hurt.

The retail in the corridor between both Camden projects are a lot more affordable compared to normal retail in downtown. 

On 4/22/2022 at 11:38 PM, dcluley98 said:

More residential is great but the cost of dense housing makes it challenging to provide housing at a reasonable price. Especially for larger apartments for families. 

On 4/22/2022 at 7:10 PM, JFW657 said:

Nothing wrong with that.

No, nothing wrong with that at all, and, if you look at Chicago's history, they were the one rust belt city (an exception to the rule, actually), that more or less always had strong downtown residential population.  And look at them today (not the shootings...mind you...different issue altogether)...

On 4/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, AmIReal said:

IPW 2022, a very significant travel trade show, will be in Orlando June 408. The main event is at OCC, but the City is hosting a downtown night. The attendees will not only enjoy our "eclectic mix of historic homes, gleaming office buildings, world-class restaurants, and luxurious, high-end hotels", but they will also be treated to an unforgettable evening at Steinmetz Hall which will include;  A dozen musicians playing Vivaldi’s classic Four Seasons as aerialists descend to the stage from above, showcasing the mood and beauty of the acoustically perfect Steinmetz Hall. A local choir presenting a vocal ensemble of 20 singers hitting their high notes in perfect harmony. A spectacular laser light show bringing back all the elements in a collective, grand finale with the band, aerialist, dancers, saxophone player, choir, lights and lasers.

woohoo!!!

https://www.visitorlando.com/ipw-orlando-2022/evening-events/destination-downtown-evening-event/

where exactly are these gleaming office towers, world class restaurants and high end hotels?? I must know so i can visit them!

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, orlandouprise said:

where exactly are these gleaming office towers, world class restaurants and high end hotels?? I must know so i can visit them!

sorry, you're not invited. They've been imagined for the attendees of this event only. Perhaps I can interest you in a spiffy Taco Bell and a long wait for a fancy cocktail.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts expansion on hold indefinitely

The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts can't build its $175 million third phase until Orange County and the city of Orlando provide most of the funding.

Phase three would add more indoor and outdoor entertainment and food venues.

The arts center last year asked for $145 million in Orange County tourist development tax funds for the expansion... he county last fall said no to that request, instead committing TDT money to upgrades for the Orange County Convention Center, the University of Central Florida, Kia Center and Camping World Stadium instead. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2024/04/01/dr-phillips-center-expansion-delay.html

9 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Completion of the vision for the performing arts center should be a priority before expansion of Lake Eola. 

I thought they already completed the vision with Phase 2.   “Phase 3” seemed to be a last minute attempt to get a horse in the race IMHO.

Edited by jliv
  • Thanks 1