Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, smonteserin said:

The color scheme of these lights reminded me a bit more of the original renderings. As far as the Front Yard Festival, I live off Mills near Lake Davis and can hear the live concerts. 

Agreed. They seem to alternate between the amber and warm white color scheme often. I still consider it half-assed ambient lighting for a professional venue, but anything is better than bright white which always reminded me of a parking garage.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Given the overwhelming success of the Front Yard and its extension through the end of 2021, I hope there is consideration for a permanent usage of the plaza for this purpose.  

It would seem rather empty reverting back to an empty lawn.

Agreed. The plaza was always meant to be used for gathering/entertainment space... I think they referred to the outdoor space as the 4th theater or something like that. Just goes to show you that you don't have to spend a lot of money for something to be successful--just think outside of the box a little.

But currently, it kinda looks like a shanty town. I still think a tasteful shipping container plaza would be a happy medium as a permanent fixture once social distancing requirements become a thing of the past. The industrial architecture would compliment DPAC's aesthetic better too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Agreed. The plaza was always meant to be used for gathering/entertainment space... I think they referred to the outdoor space as the 4th theater or something like that. Just goes to show you that you don't have to spend a lot of money for something to be successful--just think outside of the box a little.

But currently, it kinda looks like a shanty town. I still think a tasteful shipping container plaza would be a happy medium as a permanent fixture once social distancing requirements become a thing of the past. The industrial architecture would compliment DPAC's aesthetic better too.

I got a giggle outta this. The suggestion that shipping crates would lessen the shantytown vibe tickles me. Cheers!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mraurora said:

I got a giggle outta this. The suggestion that shipping crates would lessen the shantytown vibe tickles me. Cheers!

Hey, I did preface it with the word tasteful lol. If the city can't afford to develop the lots on either side of the plaza any time soon, then I think the containers would be a decent placeholder. I just don't like the current hodgepodge of wood/chain link fencing, white tents, barricades, etc. in front of DPAC. But, for now it's doing the job and I'm happy they are able to host events.

Shipping containers are not so bad if thoughtfully designed (glass inserts, cutouts, etc.). A few examples of what I'm talking about: Shipping Container Mall

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...