First Horizon Park - Home of the Nashville Sounds

RemarkableHomes

^ Funny you mention something like that; I was saying when they enounced they were rebuilding at Sulfur Dell that they would go real retro and reinstall that ridiculously steep outfield slope the old ballpark had.  As opposed to most I hate and get frustrated watching those shot out football games (mostly out west) where neither teams have any defense; I just can't watch, but Baseball is way too much defense.  Put a huge freaking hill in the outfield; a pond, a tree line, a busy highway or for starters they could move the pitchers mound back about 5'.  That should make it more entertaining.

I've had the which team will move here discussion more and more recently. a few years ago, friends told me i was crazy and it would never happen. now they want to talk about which team it will be.

I always point to the Ray's or the A's.  And I always say if its the Ray's they will be renamed hopefully to the "sounds"  but the A's are a historic franchise, so they would keep their name. 

• Like 1

On July 1, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Mike G said:

Say what you want about aesthetics, but I like the north face of the stadium, and if the development around the stadium happens, you won't see the rest of it.  Also, I don't really see the stadium needing to last longer than 15 years.  I think with all the development and growth, somebody will try, and -more importantly- succeed in bringing a major league team to the city. 

I agree, I do believe Nashville will see an MLB team. I would also like to mention that Nashville SHOULD have gotten the Grizzlies instead of Memphis because it makes so much more sense. Population wise, Middle Tennessee is by far the most populated area in the state and people prefer Nashville over Memphis period by a long shot. They missed bad on that one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

I don't get the argument for Nashville having 3 pro teams and Memphis not having any. Yes, Middle Tennessee is larger, but not enough to support 3 major pro teams. 

Besides,  Memphis has been very supportive of the Griz. I don't think that's a miss at all.

Geographically and population it just makes more sense imo. Yes, I love Memphis's history and architecture as much as the next guy, but financially Nashville makes more sense. I'm a Grizzlies fan and I will say I was worried for a while because the support really wasn't where it needed to be until about 5 years ago when we started making playoff runs. Nashville is selling out Titans games when they're having their worst years in franchise history. 

17 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Nashville already had two pro sports teams when Memphis got the Grizz, plus Memphis is much more a basketball town than Nashville, so I really fail to see how it would have made more sense to put them in Nashville.  Memphis is a great town and the team is a perfect fit for them.  

Nashville wasn't a hockey town either and look at the support the Predators have gotten. 

• Like 1

Clay Travis told a story a few years ago when he was on 104.5 the zone here and is now in LA on Fox Sports 1 with his own show about Nashville throwing Memphis a bone about the Grizz going there. At the time that Craig Leipold started the Predators and was the primary and first tenant of the arena. They were going to block anything and every franchise that was going to share the arena because they were afraid that Nashville and Middle Tennessee would embrace the NBA before a NHL team because of this being a non-traditional Hockey Town. That was always the story about the NBA not being here first. As far as Nashville not supporting 3 pro teams. I believe the city of Denver is the smallest city with the Rockies, Avalanche, Broncos, and Nuggets. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Titans101 said:

Clay Travis told a story a few years ago when he was on 104.5 the zone here and is now in LA on Fox Sports 1 with his own show about Nashville throwing Memphis a bone about the Grizz going there. At the time that Craig Leipold started the Predators and was the primary and first tenant of the arena. They were going to block anything and every franchise that was going to share the arena because they were afraid that Nashville and Middle Tennessee would embrace the NBA before a NHL team because of this being a non-traditional Hockey Town. That was always the story about the NBA not being here first. As far as Nashville not supporting 3 pro teams. I believe the city of Denver is the smallest city with the Rockies, Avalanche, Broncos, and Nuggets. 

Tennesseans (most) have a lot of state pride. Hell, most people in Middle and East Tennessee didn't even know we had an NBA team until Memphis started popping up in the playoff picture. I guess sometimes I feel like Memphis tries to separate itself from the rest of the state. Also, if you're in Knoxille or Chattanooga wouldn't it be more convenient to be able to drive to Nashville? Throw in Northern Alabama and Southern Kentucky when it comes to our pro team fandom as well. My issue isn't with Memphis the city itself, it's the location of it tucked away in the very southwest corner of the state. 

Edited by Tim29tn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Titans101 said:

I think you forgot to mention that Denver's metro has approximately 1 million more people than Nashville's...

There's also a reason why Clay Travis is on FS1 and not another major network.

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 2

Nashville is not selling out the Titans games, the away teams are. The past few years the Titans have been the Vandy of the NFL. With the city being so popular now it is a great excuse to come visit and have a guaranteed chance to see your team win an away game.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

Nashville is not selling out the Titans games, the away teams are. The past few years the Titans have been the Vandy of the NFL. With the city being so popular now it is a great excuse to come visit and have be guaranteed to see your team win an away game.

Ticket sales are ticket sales. Away teams always have their share of tickets, it's been that way since the beginning. They're still getting way more support for crappy on field play than most cities would give. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Nashville is not selling out the Titans games, the away teams are. The past few years the Titans have been the Vandy of the NFL. With the city being so popular now it is a great excuse to come visit and have be guaranteed to see your team win an away game.

All but a handful of NFL teams are selling out as every game being on TV is having an impact.  If you looked last year at many games, Atlanta, Cincinnati. Tampa, Jacksonville were a few that clearly had empty seats.  And of course, winning would begin to cure empty seats to some degree, but the TV impact is showing in many NFL cities and is an issue, even in almost all college games too. 

3 hours ago, Tim29tn said:

Ticket sales are ticket sales. Away teams always have their share of tickets, it's been that way since the beginning. They're still getting way more support for crappy on field play than most cities would give. 

My point was just that the game attendance is only at this level because away teams are traveling so well. I don't think the support is even close to what it was years ago(def blame the product on the field for that). I have a feeling attendance would be drastically different if Nashville was not such a popular place to visit. (Such as Jacksonville games)

Also, the Titans are NOT selling out games even though they report they are. I think the Tennessean had an article last year about them selling large amounts of tickets to scalping websites at huge discounts. That way they could keep the streak going, and not get blacked out. My family misses 1 home game a year (typically because of weather), and I can't think of the last time the stadium looked at capacity.

Side note, attendance could definitely be worse. We could be matching The U.

USATSI_8917240_168381178_lowres-650x342.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I realize I am beating a dead horse here with my complaining, but I was in Charlotte over the weekend which renewed my disappointment in our ballpark. This was my first time to Charlotte. I was very impressed with their downtown. 

BBT-Ballpark-Entrance-at-Dusk.jpg

20160713_195622.jpg

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

So 2 full seasons are complete at the new stadium and still no movement on the apartments and retail that the sounds ownership included in their plans.To me this was a vital part of the overall feel of the park.It would also maybe allow our greenway to be open and USABLE! Does anyone believe this will happen anytime soon or ever?

6 hours ago, nightranger36 said:

So 2 full seasons are complete at the new stadium and still no movement on the apartments and retail that the sounds ownership included in their plans.To me this was a vital part of the overall feel of the park.It would also maybe allow our greenway to be open and USABLE! Does anyone believe this will happen anytime soon or ever?

I remain skeptical that the owners will ever fulfill their stated intention to build the apartments.    I'll say what I've said from the beginning that I'll believe it when I see it.