Lake Nona - Medical City

scottb411

1 hour ago, WAJAS said:

I'm trying to understand your argument.

What do you consider "transgenderism being taught in schools?"

What do you mean by "woke?"

What fire are you referring to? That caused this act to be required.

What does this act do against child molesters that previous ones didn't? I thought child molestation was illegal for a while now. On that, what do you mean by "sexual abuse of minors" in this context?

Lastly, are you okay with co-opting phrases and coining terms within this context? You seem to use them for your position (Groomer, woke, MSM, , but call others out for using their own (Don't Say Gay

Well, let me attempt clarification:  

“woke” is a term coined by the left, yet the right gets ostracized for using it in an attempt to refer to it.  You know what woke means. Bill Maher has a segment on how the Chinese used that same PC bullish!t to usher in their current communist system.  If you want a definition, email your political leaders.

”sexual abuse of minors” is in my response to the post I replied to where that came up initially by someone else.  Maybe read those posts for context.

”transgenderism”- well, you know exactly what that is about and what is being pushed in schools.

the “fire” is the act of going off curriculum in schools talking about these issues thus stepping on the toes of parents.  Maybe you are for stepping on the toes of parents, I don’t know.

what does child molesters have to do with the Parental Rights Act or my comments?  This about teachers overstepping their authority.  You can correlate and couch it any way you like to try and get people to back off, but it doesn’t matter because it is what it is and now everyone is aware of it.

I never started using the term “groomer” until a gay poster wrote it in a post a few months ago.  I had never even heard of that term before then.  Why? Because tracking what gays are up to and the lingo isn’t within my wheel house.  But when everyone started crying about DeSantis, I started paying closer attention.  I may not have used the term groomer before today.  Well, it belongs to the gay community since that’s where I heard it first.  So?  I didn’t coin it.

Co-opting phrases and Coining terms:  actually, it is the “liberal MSM.”  Why? Because they are liberal. Oh wait, you said just MSM.  That’s short for mainstream media.

And it is not my argument.  I am merely stating the argument of the affected parties leading up to the passage of the Act that you don’t seem to want to respect or acknowledge.  And then gays wonder why there’s a smidge of discontent pointed in their direction and their precious WDW?  Well, Disney’s stock has gone down in the past year for a reason.

Coining terms:  why not coin the phrase “Don’t Say You Should Have A Sex Change To Minors Law” instead?  It is more accurate.  I mean, really?  Minors?  If you ever got arrested and went to jail and other inmates found out that you were doing that, to minors, you know, getting in their heads, your goose would be cooked.  Talk to an inmate.  They may be criminals, but they don’t tolerate people messing with kids in any way.  Why should those “groomers” (as you say) get a pass?  What makes them so special?

And if you are offended at the “Don’t Say Gay” moniker, blame your own people for lumping regular gays into the category and into the discussion by coining that phrase when it doesn’t have anything to do with gays in general.  I have gay friends that do not agree with transgenderism and support that Act.  I have discussed this with them a lot to get their take on things. It’s funny; if you know a gay conservative, try talking to him instead of alienating him.  Be more relatable. You may learn something.

2 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

Just what is the gays' "lifestyle" in your view? Mere existence?

Seriously, your post reflects the totally unhinged nature of the MAGA-perverted Republican party. An educator does not "become a groomer" through simple acknowledgement of the existence of LBGTQ people. Nor do gay or transgender parents or the parents of a gay or transgender students interfere with some inalienable right of other parents to be bigoted when they participate in public life, to include in public schools. But that's what this is really about. MAGA types have had enough of stewing in their hatred and tolerating others. Consequently, they love a "Big Daddy DeSantis" to come in and tell all the nasty gays to pack their "lifestyle" back into the closet where it belongs. That's the real REACTION.

You weren’t there.  Why do you say it’s mere acknowledgment?

Now the parents are bigots?  

You want to talk about tolerance?  The left doesn’t tolerate ANY viewpoint other than its own, to the point where it is losing support from notorious liberals like Maher.

I don’t know what you mean by “pack your lifestyle back into the closet,” but it sounds like you think this is a crack in the dam situation.  My question is, what exactly is the dam?

Before you start on this MAGA tirade like others have on these boards, do a little research and see which ideology has subjugated others that thought they were the chosen ones/ supporters of the regimes that they helped get into power.  Yes, The Left.  Be informed; stop being a pawn.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Well, let me attempt clarification:  

“woke” is a term coined by the left, yet the right gets ostracized for using it in an attempt to refer to it.  You know what woke means. Bill Maher has a segment on how the Chinese used that same PC bullish!t to usher in their current communist system.  If you want a definition, email your political leaders.

”sexual abuse of minors” is in my response to the post I replied to where that came up initially by someone else.  Maybe read those posts for context.

”transgenderism”- well, you know exactly what that is about and what is being pushed in schools.

the “fire” is the act of going off curriculum in schools talking about these issues thus stepping on the toes of parents.  Maybe you are for stepping on the toes of parents, I don’t know.

what does child molesters have to do with the Parental Rights Act or my comments?  This about teachers overstepping their authority.  You can correlate and couch it any way you like to try and get people to back off, but it doesn’t matter because it is what it is and now everyone is aware of it.

I never started using the term “groomer” until a gay poster wrote it in a post a few months ago.  I had never even heard of that term before then.  Why? Because tracking what gays are up to and the lingo isn’t within my wheel house.  But when everyone started crying about DeSantis, I started paying closer attention.  I may not have used the term groomer before today.  Well, it belongs to the gay community since that’s where I heard it first.  So?  I didn’t coin it.

Co-opting phrases and Coining terms:  actually, it is the “liberal MSM.”  Why? Because they are liberal. Oh wait, you said just MSM.  That’s short for mainstream media.

And it is not my argument.  I am merely stating the argument of the affected parties leading up to the passage of the Act that you don’t seem to want to respect or acknowledge.  And then gays wonder why there’s a smidge of discontent pointed in their direction and their precious WDW?  Well, Disney’s stock has gone down in the past year for a reason.

Coining terms:  why not coin the phrase “Don’t Say You Should Have A Sex Change To Minors Law” instead?  It is more accurate.  I mean, really?  Minors?  If you ever got arrested and went to jail and other inmates found out that you were doing that, to minors, you know, getting in their heads, your goose would be cooked.  Talk to an inmate.  They may be criminals, but they don’t tolerate people messing with kids in any way.  Why should those “groomers” (as you say) get a pass?  What makes them so special?

And if you are offended at the “Don’t Say Gay” moniker, blame your own people for lumping regular gays into the category and into the discussion by coining that phrase when it doesn’t have anything to do with gays in general.  I have gay friends that do not agree with transgenderism and support that Act.  I have discussed this with them a lot to get their take on things. It’s funny; if you know a gay conservative, try talking to him instead of alienating him.  Be more relatable. You may learn something.

Dude, I don't know how you expect people to discuss this with you when your being confrontational, avoiding questions, and playing dumb. I know what "I" think these words and phrases mean. I want to know what YOU think they mean. Not once did you define anything I just asked about. Do you know what these words mean?

Are you insinuating "groomer" is gay lingo? Because it most certainly is not. Those you're supporting coined that term in the current context.

My precious WDW? I don't think anyone has made an emotional argument for Disney here. If you were aware of the business, you'd know that the stock is down primarily because the streaming bet is not working out. The Parks, which is the division relocating, has done great.

Ah ok, so you're against saying minors "should" be transexual. I wasn't aware of that happening anywhere, and none of the arguments from the State have shown that. Either way, if that's your main point, then you probably shouldn't agree with this law. It's exceptionally broad and does more than banning this.

Oh wait, are you transphobic? What do you mean by "do not agree with transgenderism?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WAJAS said:

Dude, I don't know how you expect people to discuss this with you when your being confrontational, avoiding questions, and playing dumb. I know what "I" think these words and phrases mean. I want to know what YOU think they mean. Not once did you define anything I just asked about. Do you know what these words mean?

Are you insinuating "groomer" is gay lingo? Because it most certainly is not. Those you're supporting coined that term in the current context.

My precious WDW? I don't think anyone has made an emotional argument for Disney here. If you were aware of the business, you'd know that the stock is down primarily because the streaming bet is not working out. The Parks, which is the division relocating, has done great.

Ah ok, so you're against saying minors "should" be transexual. I wasn't aware of that happening anywhere, and none of the arguments from the State have shown that. Either way, if that's your main point, then you probably shouldn't agree with this law. It's exceptionally broad and does more than banning this.

Oh wait, are you transphobic? What do you mean by "do not agree with transgenderism?"

Stop being a gas lighter.  Before you start asking more of these clarifying questions, go back and read all of the comments; they only go back one day.

Regarding the Act, you are operating under the presumption that I support it.  And that is because most of you jump to conclusions before reading what the other person is saying.  I merely reported on why DeSantis pushed for that Act, and that it wasn't done in a vacuum like some of you alluded to.  If you believe it was unfounded, then good for you.

Regarding Disney...seriously?  All I did was get into a back and forth for months with Spenser about Disney vs Universal ala the parks and Disney snubbing BL.  

What I see is that you want to push your narrative and ignore the facts.  The narrative is that DeSantis is an out of touch right wing homophobe.  The facts are that parents made complaints and Tallahassee reacted, Disney protested, and DeSantis reacted to their protest (or whatever).  No politician proposes an Act like that in a vacuum.  But you choose to make sandwiches without bread and believe that there was nothing going on...because...you weren't "aware of anything happening anywhere."  Well, what exactly are you, Tik Tok?  I mean, liberals always propose new gun legislation AFTER a shooting.  But, what, because this came from the right it is completely without basis? Double standard.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Let's take a moment here to talk about the roadway network out here.  What's everyone's take on it?  It doesn't strike me as particularly pedestrian friendly at least not outside of the 3 square blocks around the town center.  And the "square" part of the town center faces the garage.  If I want to go from Canvas to Boxi park, I have to drive there.  Then, the grocery and big box stores are all on Narcoossee.  This is a kind of half new urbanism/half same sprawl we've dealt with for 50 years.   I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of Baldwin or Celebration.

that's a splendid idea, Codypet.  Yes, I agree.  I feel like they threw in a Baldwin Park-type development for good measure to get that feel.  I don't know if there is any proposals for a grocer in the immediate core...yet.  But I think this entire development is going to be a work in progress for at least twenty more years at this rate.  There is, I think, a Publix (imagine that), on Boggy Creek as well...not that it's any closer...

22 hours ago, jrs2 said:tell me you're not referring to the Parental Rights Act and the thing with UF's Board telling liberal teachers to stick to the curriculum and check their politics at the door.  

There is so much here but I will focus on your comment back to me. Yes, his stop woke act blatantly violates supreme court precedent regarding college professors. 

https://www.thefire.org/news/victory-after-fire-lawsuit-court-halts-enforcement-key-provisions-stop-woke-act-limiting-how

I am a first amendment absolutist. The government should never use its power to restrict, halt, deny any citizens speech. And any one of them that does, the victims should have the full weight of the law at their disposal for a remedy. 

For K-12, the governor has broad discretion. However, I think this is a made up issue with no proof that there are groomers. I have not been presented with any evidence it has happened in Florida outside of one case which still has not been confirmed. It is a fake issue to rile up the base. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

that's a splendid idea, Codypet.  Yes, I agree.  I feel like they threw in a Baldwin Park-type development for good measure to get that feel.  I don't know if there is any proposals for a grocer in the immediate core...yet.  But I think this entire development is going to be a work in progress for at least twenty more years at this rate.  There is, I think, a Publix (imagine that), on Boggy Creek as well...not that it's any closer...

I feel like when you look at this location and Hamlin Groves and some of these other newer spots (Avalon to a lesser extent) you see a sort of compromise to the Baldwin Park/Celebration style.   Basically a town center surrounding massive parking lots, which doesn't achieve either feels 100%. I believe the Baldwin Publix is a normal sized suburban Publix complete with parking lot, but they do a decent job at hiding it.   Celebration initially had a small format Goodings, and I can't recall if they closed before they ended up building the large suburban Goodings out on 192, but it was briefly an ACE Hardware before it too became a Publix.  Now there's a new Publix going in South of Celebration, but yet nothing in the town center core.  

You are correct about Boggy Creek having a Publix and that's not too terribly close, and you have one at Moss Park as well (Then Buenaventura has the Former Winn Dixie turned Publix).  Earth Fare which would be the next closest grocery store is now Bravo, so I feel like Publix and possibly Trader Joe's can and maybe should look at putting a location in the Town Center of Nona.  I just think that it should be located around Tavistock Lakes and Hitchings Ave and be a more urban format.   This would kind of bridge and center the town center around Tavistock lakes and kind of make the whole area feel a bit tighter.  

What I do fear is the normal cavalcade of Big Box retailers marching their way to Narcoossee Road with PetSmart, Ross, Marshalls, HomeGoods and they just dot Narcoossee with your typical suburban mess.  With the new parkway coming in, maybe that's an inevitability. 

image.png.43e837e6ca79e26709bfd225c54ecdc2.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

New urbanism all started with Seaside. If you haven’t been to Seaside — go. It’s worth a trip even though it’s out of the way.

Celebration ran on its principles and did a damn good job at it. As you’ve stated — it’s changed, evolved.

Baldwin Park never got there.

Avalon Park is a joke. 

Lake Nona is sort of a resort style of living — they do it so well that people forgive it for being generic suburbanism. 

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jliv said:

Anyhoo…anyone know what ever happened to the retail component of the Town Center? Is that dead? (non-culture-war question)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the change in retail dynamic over the past decade has altered it a bit. remember, we've seen department stores like Saks, Lord & Taylor, and Nordstrom pulled out of CFLA and the state as a whole...  We've also seen WDW bring in first to market stores at Diz Springs and new locations for existing market stores, which proves there's still a market for those stores (like Zara) out side of a traditional mall setting.  This is good for Medical City.  It shows that they can sign some of these retailers and that there will be a market for them.  The difference between Diz Springs and Medical City is probably a factor of 50-1, though, of outsiders visiting there daily...maybe 100-1.  I think The Wave is a great start to bring in tourists and some locals but they would need great numbers of locals to support some of those future retail locations.  They need more "magnets."

Maybe the design it like a St. Arman's Circle or Park Ave to get a sense of place.  Once you have that, that's when people want to go there.  I'm really not sure about the proper formula for a relatively new PUD.

52 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

New urbanism all started with Seaside. If you haven’t been to Seaside — go. It’s worth a trip even though it’s out of the way.

Celebration ran on its principles and did a damn good job at it. As you’ve stated — it’s changed, evolved.

Baldwin Park never got there.

Avalon Park is a joke. 

Lake Nona is sort of a resort style of living — they do it so well that people forgive it for being generic suburbanism. 

you mean the place out on the actual shore near Panama City/ Destin, right?  OMG I heard it is the coolest development...

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I feel like when you look at this location and Hamlin Groves and some of these other newer spots (Avalon to a lesser extent) you see a sort of compromise to the Baldwin Park/Celebration style.   Basically a town center surrounding massive parking lots, which doesn't achieve either feels 100%. I believe the Baldwin Publix is a normal sized suburban Publix complete with parking lot, but they do a decent job at hiding it.   Celebration initially had a small format Goodings, and I can't recall if they closed before they ended up building the large suburban Goodings out on 192, but it was briefly an ACE Hardware before it too became a Publix.  Now there's a new Publix going in South of Celebration, but yet nothing in the town center core.  

You are correct about Boggy Creek having a Publix and that's not too terribly close, and you have one at Moss Park as well (Then Buenaventura has the Former Winn Dixie turned Publix).  Earth Fare which would be the next closest grocery store is now Bravo, so I feel like Publix and possibly Trader Joe's can and maybe should look at putting a location in the Town Center of Nona.  I just think that it should be located around Tavistock Lakes and Hitchings Ave and be a more urban format.   This would kind of bridge and center the town center around Tavistock lakes and kind of make the whole area feel a bit tighter.  

What I do fear is the normal cavalcade of Big Box retailers marching their way to Narcoossee Road with PetSmart, Ross, Marshalls, HomeGoods and they just dot Narcoossee with your typical suburban mess.  With the new parkway coming in, maybe that's an inevitability. 

1.  Trader Joes would be an incredible "magnet" store to lure people there.

2.  Is that purple roadway supposed to be a route for Osceola Pkwy Extension?  That's on the Orange side of the border...

2 hours ago, jack said:

There is so much here but I will focus on your comment back to me. Yes, his stop woke act blatantly violates supreme court precedent regarding college professors. 

https://www.thefire.org/news/victory-after-fire-lawsuit-court-halts-enforcement-key-provisions-stop-woke-act-limiting-how

I am a first amendment absolutist. The government should never use its power to restrict, halt, deny any citizens speech. And any one of them that does, the victims should have the full weight of the law at their disposal for a remedy. 

For K-12, the governor has broad discretion. However, I think this is a made up issue with no proof that there are groomers. I have not been presented with any evidence it has happened in Florida outside of one case which still has not been confirmed. It is a fake issue to rile up the base. 

Jack, let me just say one thing on this issue- one thing I didn't consider was that both parties tend to rile up their bases when they want money.  And this could have been nothing more than that, because in the end, when there's an urgency, constituents tend to pony up the cheddar.  And when you create a legal dispute, even more so b/c somebody's got to pay for the attorneys...

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I wonder if the change in retail dynamic over the past decade has altered it a bit. remember, we've seen department stores like Saks, Lord & Taylor, and Nordstrom pulled out of CFLA and the state as a whole...  We've also seen WDW bring in first to market stores at Diz Springs and new locations for existing market stores, which proves there's still a market for those stores (like Zara) out side of a traditional mall setting.  This is good for Medical City.  It shows that they can sign some of these retailers and that there will be a market for them.  The difference between Diz Springs and Medical City is probably a factor of 50-1, though, of outsiders visiting there daily...maybe 100-1.  I think The Wave is a great start to bring in tourists and some locals but they would need great numbers of locals to support some of those future retail locations.  They need more "magnets."

Maybe the design it like a St. Arman's Circle or Park Ave to get a sense of place.  Once you have that, that's when people want to go there.  I'm really not sure about the proper formula for a relatively new PUD.

you mean the place out on the actual shore near Panama City/ Destin, right?  OMG I heard it is the coolest development...

1.  Trader Joes would be an incredible "magnet" store to lure people there.

2.  Is that purple roadway supposed to be a route for Osceola Pkwy Extension?  That's on the Orange side of the border...

Just look it up — it’ll explain a lot of things 

6 hours ago, jrs2 said:

that eastern spur is supposed to service The Ranch property future development, right?

Do you mean Sunbridge or is The Ranch something else?

8 hours ago, jliv said:

Anyhoo…anyone know what ever happened to the retail component of the Town Center? Is that dead? (non-culture-war question)

The medical building and associated retail space attached to the Lake Nona Performance Club is nearing completion. So I'm hoping for some "activation" resulting from that. Beyond that, Tavistock's standard reply at HOA meetings and workshops is "we're taking our time to make sure we get it right". So, it's not dead, but it's also not progressing as quickly as many (myself included) might like.

18 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Jack, let me just say one thing on this issue- one thing I didn't consider was that both parties tend to rile up their bases when they want money.  And this could have been nothing more than that, because in the end, when there's an urgency, constituents tend to pony up the cheddar.  And when you create a legal dispute, even more so b/c somebody's got to pay for the attorneys...

One, lawyers always win. 

Secondly, politicians and activists take the most extreme positions to rile up the base to get/stay elected. No one cares about the middle ground anymore. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

I'm assuming The Ranch is Deseret Ranch, while I believe is the largest contiguous land piece left in Central Florida, and largest cattle ranch in the nation.

13 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

The medical building and associated retail space attached to the Lake Nona Performance Club is nearing completion. So I'm hoping for some "activation" resulting from that. Beyond that, Tavistock's standard reply at HOA meetings and workshops is "we're taking our time to make sure we get it right". So, it's not dead, but it's also not progressing as quickly as many (myself included) might like.

It does seem like they are trying to, they've gone as far as to create their own restaurants and hotel to try to match the experience they want and to attract the companies.

I did forget about the Osceola Parkway extension, that does make Disney's positioning make a bit more sense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Poe Tempkin said:

Sunbridge may be part of The Ranch (the Mormon property; which extends as far north as 528 and as far south towards 192 but is east of Lake Nona)...

On 2/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, codypet said:

What is this purple parkway and where is it leading to? 

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Sunbridge may be part of The Ranch (the Mormon property; which extends as far north as 528 and as far south towards 192 but is east of Lake Nona)...

Interesting. I heard a rumor that the reason they're doing all-wood construction in the Weslyn Park subdivision of Sunbridge is that the land owners also own substantial timber land. That might just be a conspiracy theory though. Regardless, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with no block.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 12:29 PM, jliv said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are for sure moving forward with retail within the town center just at a much slower pace than the typical master planned community. They still have 30+ years of development in Lake Nona, and they continued to gain momentum as they pace their design and development.

I believe their priority is to focus on retail development around The Wave. They have a new Japanese inspired restaurant inside The Wave that should open up in the next few months. The One Performance Plaze includes 12,000+ sq. of retail that is "Health Focused." The new office building at 13495 Veterans will have two retail spaces. They do have plans for what is label as a "market" right behind the office building on Tavistock Lakes Blvd. It would be great to have a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. but I think Tavistock may look towards a more creative/innovative grocery or market concept versus a national chain.  A Target would be great closer to the Drive Shack and the new Aloft hotel. 

One Performance Plaza, Orlando, FL for lease Building Photo October 2022- Image 1 of 15One Performance Plaza, Orlando, FL for lease Building Photo October 2022- Image 3 of 15image.thumb.png.36849df1feeae5745332df80d54a4c59.pngimage.thumb.png.b1355a5ab5f58372ce070c9dc7b203ea.pngimage.thumb.png.91aa091fb80b2f63531ff84d7d63c5b9.png

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, codypet said:

Let's take a moment here to talk about the roadway network out here.  What's everyone's take on it?  It doesn't strike me as particularly pedestrian friendly at least not outside of the 3 square blocks around the town center.  And the "square" part of the town center faces the garage.  If I want to go from Canvas to Boxi park, I have to drive there.  Then, the grocery and big box stores are all on Narcoossee.  This is a kind of half new urbanism/half same sprawl we've dealt with for 50 years.   I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of Baldwin or Celebration.

The Greenlink may offer an alternative to driving. I believe the only vehicles allowed on it will be Beep AVs, with the emphasis being on enabling pedestrians and cyclists (though this being central FL, I'm sure there will be a lot of golf carts sneaking in). It will link Town Center to the Village Center in Laureate Park, where Canvas is.

Beyond that, expanded Beep service could run on Tavistock Lakes, Laureate Boulevard, and maybe even Lake Nona Boulevard. But sharing the road with slower moving AVs seems to break the suburban brains of most drivers, so I'm not betting on that. Maybe if the Beep achieves 25 mph there will be less illegal passing and so on.

8 hours ago, Urbo said:

They do have plans for what is label as a "market" right behind the office building on Tavistock Lakes Blvd. It would be great to have a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. but I think Tavistock may look towards a more creative/innovative grocery or market concept versus a national chain

I think I missed this in the design images you shared, assuming it is shown. Can you point it out? Or, do you mean right behind the office building as one turns onto Tavistock Lakes Blvd. from Narcoossee Rd.?