SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

UMUD in Charlotte allows for unlimited height

Do existing buildings have any recourse?

For example, I remember a few years back the residents of the Arlington with uptown views were upset that another tower of similar height would be built at the 1100 South Boulevard site (Simpson's Lighting). Lucky for them the project will be only 5 stories...

Not really. When your underlying zoning allows for unlimited height, there isn't much to be said. The site next to the Arlington has TOD-M zoning, so its height was dictated by FAR requirements rather than a specific number of feet. I think it's also worth noting that part of the area we now call South End - roughly north of the former route of Independence Blvd (Carson/South)- was, at one point, considered part of "downtown" which is why I assume most of that area has UMUD zoning to begin with. With all of that area to the north of the Artlington being zoned UMUD, it's entirely possible that another major high rise could be built and obstruct their view. It's completely unrealistic, IMO, to expect that any view is protected in a fast growing and rapidly densifying city like this.

Re: Sedgefield Shopping Center

I sincerely hope that this Harris Teeter turns out like Plaza Midwood's HT and not the Queens/Providence one. That one is a monstrosity from an urban design perspective.

• Like 1

Not really. When your underlying zoning allows for unlimited height, there isn't much to be said. The site next to the Arlington has TOD-M zoning, so its height was dictated by FAR requirements rather than a specific number of feet. I think it's also worth noting that part of the area we now call South End - roughly north of the former route of Independence Blvd (Carson/South)- was, at one point, considered part of "downtown" which is why I assume most of that area has UMUD zoning to begin with. With all of that area to the north of the Artlington being zoned UMUD, it's entirely possible that another major high rise could be built and obstruct their view. It's completely unrealistic, IMO, to expect that any view is protected in a fast growing and rapidly densifying city like this.

Re: Sedgefield Shopping Center

I sincerely hope that this Harris Teeter turns out like Plaza Midwood's HT and not the Queens/Providence one. That one is a monstrosity from an urban design perspective.

From the little I've seen, there will be two retail buildings along south blvd masking HTs surface parking lot, something that would have greatly benefitted Plaza Midwood's location. I'm waiting patiently for more concrete details to share. Hopefully the rezoning will be up soon.

Edited by Guest

Meck Times has a little bit of info on Sedgefield SC plans:

The public hearing for the rezoning has been scheduled for July 21, according to the company. The City Council vote on the rezoning will likely follow in August or September. If the rezoning is approved, construction would likely start in early 2015 and the first phase would open in late 2016, according to Marsh.

The first phase includes "68,000 sqft of retail and 300 apts. I had heard 55,000 are for the Teeter. The "design team envisions" a mid-centruy modern style for the Teeter.

The second phase is still in the 'planning stages" but includes 900 additional 'housing units' (both rental and sale), 30,000 more sqft of retail (I assume the smaller of the SC on the other side of Elmhurst) and "the potential for" 100,000 sqft of office space. The second phase is envisioned for a ten-year period (market conditions, yadayada)

http://mecktimes.com/news/2014/05/05/marsh-properties-needs-rezoning-for-190-million-redevelopment-near-south-end/

Edited by kermit

According to Furman, who presented his plans at the South End meeting two months ago, they first need to sign an anchor office tenant. He was shooting for late summer '14,

I feel like Wray Ward, LGA or BooneOakley should jump at this place. Would be great for an Ad Agency. Who knows maybe I'll consolidate my Dallas, Savannah and Brooklyn Offices there ;-).

From the little I've seen, there will be two retail buildings along south blvd masking HTs surface parking lot, something that would have greatly benefitted Plaza Midwood's location. I'm waiting patiently for more concrete details to share. Hopefully the rezoning will be up soon.

It's up. 

http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2014Petitions/Pages/2014-064.aspx

^ I am not so good at reading site plans but... Is all they are doing with the commercial space swapping the current locations of retail and parking. The sketches are nice, but, once you strip away fins and awnings, its still just another single story strip center. I still have to ride my bike through the parking lot to get to Greystone for a beer.

I guess it makes since not to block the view of the residential block behind the center but gezzz, not building multi-level stuff on South blvd in a station area seems like a huge waste. Surely a couple levels of office above the retail in the first phase could work, as could rooftop parking like at Lowes.

I wonder if the vacant Southborough office space has skewed perceptions of office viability over here.

Edited to reduce idiocy.

Edited by kermit

I don't like seeing the ROW abandoned for a future Iverson Way extension. That would greatly benefit the neighborhood, which is otherwise forced onto South Blvd to go anywhere. I know it's a bridge and would be expensive, but it would have a huge effect.

^ I am not so good with site plans but it looks to me like all they are doing with the commercial space is swapping the location of retail and parking. The sketches are nice, but, once you strip away fins and awnings, its still just another single story strip center.

I guess it makes since not to block the view of the residential block behind the center but gezzz, not building multi-level stuff on South blvd in a station area seems like a huge waste. Surely a couple levels of office above the retail in the first phase could work, as could rooftop parking like at Lowes.

I wonder if the vacant Southborough office space has skewed perceptions of office viability over here.

I was cool to the site plan until I got to Austin today. I would KILL for southend to be more like South Congress is Austin. It's lower density on street with higher density behind. But still very walkable.

I was cool to the site plan until I got to Austin today. I would KILL for southend to be more like South Congress is Austin. It's lower density on street with higher density behind. But still very walkable.

Soco is a great place to go during the day, but if you are looking for a place to party at night I would suggest Rainey St.  It's a block or so area of ~100 year old bungalows near the convention center that have been turned into bars and restaurants.  It's a weird little area.  It's an old neighborhood that's getting surrounded by high rises.  Of course there's 6th St./Red River, the Warehouse District etc., but Rainey St. is the cool place to go.

I think it is funny Charlotte folks would say that they envy anything from another city.  For years I have posted on this site and the one thing I admire about Charlotte is that the denizens seem to want more than what the narrowminded state-folk want for themselves.  I really hope that Southend, 3rd ward, NoDa, Midtown and Dilworth/Ebeth continue on the urbanizing trend.  I think that what is getting lost to a lot of people is you don't have to densify so much to create a true urban experience.  Something as simple as a neighborhood steet with retail can transform an area that had no life before.  Sadly, some folk want to be a part of a dynamic city but want their particular portion to resemble Mayberry.  Can't have it both ways and from what I read southend is a perfect example of developers missing the boat once again.

Edited by NcSc74
  • Like 1

Agree with Bikeguy. The two biggest issues with preventing South End from becoming a real destination are:

1. South Boulevard - incredibly uninviting, you have to be somewhat brave to cross it. Cars fly up and down south. Ex. The intersection of East and South, is unnecessarily wide to be the lynchpin between Dilworth and South End. Needs to be addressed. It creates a dilworth side and a "south end" side. Horrible stroll district.

2. Lack of Quality - the bar needs to be raised in South End. Junction 1504 is suburban sprawl dropped in a urban district. The minimum qualities of build materials needs to be raised. Along with these massive developments including retail spaces. Most are built horribly from a pedestrian point. Blank walls for whole blocks.

If these are addressed, I believe we can turn South End into something special. These two issues just hold back the neighborhood so much, IMHO.

• Like 1

I live by Dilworth School and the East and Bland Light Rail stations are nearly equidistant from my home. I have learned never to go to East as I must walk at least two blocks on South and East, plus two major crossings to arrive, while walking Park Avenue allows a single crossing at South and then peace. Same for CVS over RiteAid. When "South End" was mooted I objected since this whole area had been Dilworth for over a hundred years, from Camden east to Kenilworth. Now I see that Dilworth stops at Cleveland Avenue and South End is separate due to the South Boulevard river. If there is a natural pedestrian connection from the residential neighborhood to the small business and apartment area I do not see it.