SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Per Census figures the population of Charlotte more than doubled from 1940-1960 and most of that was 1946-60. Huge influx and these duplexes were for that group. My household historian moved here with her widowed mother and sister into this neighborhood, though not these units, during this very period I mention. She recalls many servicemen and their families originally as the city grew outward especially down South Boulevard. The duplex renters then purchased homes in Madison Park, Starmount and the other fine neighborhoods in the new areas to the south of this here. Always well maintained and with mature trees, open space for children to play, off street parking and churches, they had churches.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the same operators of Bryons are opening up a big space up in Camp Northend which we saw the interior of on our UP walking tour.    and yes I heard a restaurant for this space I think. 

Thrilled that this event space is going away.  A compelling restaurant concept (or multiple concepts) should activate this stretch quite nicely.  

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 2:20 PM, DonkeyKong said:

I was facing East away from Harris Teeter.  The entire block is fenced  all the way to the retention pond. Townhomes would make sense.  Thanks

This site provides some info on Marsh's Sedgefield redevelopment plans - https://www.sedgefieldredevelopment.com/sedgefield-redevelopment/. Sounds like you are referring to parcel D. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, Dallas is insane. Already the nation's fourth biggest metro and growing like crazy.  Wonder if it will top Chicago in the next 20 years or so. 

That said 27,000 units under construction in Charlotte is also astounding. I wonder how much that number grows if you include single family homes and whatnot too, just to get a picture of the amount of residential construction going on.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Man, Dallas is insane. Already the nation's fourth biggest metro and growing like crazy.  Wonder if it will top Chicago in the next 20 years or so. 

That said 27,000 units under construction in Charlotte is also astounding. I wonder how much that number grows if you include single family homes and whatnot too, just to get a picture of the amount of residential construction going on.

It is apartment units the 27,000 not anything for sale or even single family unless maybe it is for rent only.  As many apartments as there are in the center city areas they are many in the suburbs too and all over the region. But Meck County makes up the largest number of those by far.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Yet the city of Dallas feels small and sleepier than a metro of that size. Not an impressive CBD, nor particularly good food scene. Very underwhelming IMO.

the food does suck. You can't find decent Southern food, bbq is mediocre and even good Mexican is hard to find (in my limited experience). To be fair, I feel like it is the rough equivalent of our food scene these days (but they have an extra 3 million people)

Houston on the other hand....

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, kermit said:

the food does suck. You can't find decent Southern food, bbq is mediocre and even good Mexican is hard to find (in my limited experience). To be fair, I feel like it is the rough equivalent of our food scene these days (but they have an extra 3 million people)

Houston on the other hand....

I do love Terry Blacks BBQ in Deep Ellum. The best bbq I’ve ever had! Not sure where they are based though

• Like 2

I agree but they are completely outshined by LA which runs away with the "underwhelming skyline compared to population" crown. Helps take some strain off Dallas in the top 5 metro areas lol.

No kidding! I have always been perplexed why LA doesn’t have a bigger skyline being in 2nd place!
  • Like 3

On 8/13/2022 at 7:49 PM, DJ8hep said:

No kidding! I have always been perplexed why LA doesn’t have a bigger skyline being in 2nd place!

Los Angeles had a height restrictions  on its buildings since 1904. No buildings over 13 stories. The ordinance was finally overturned in 1958.  I think their city hall was the only exception in those 54 years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Los Angeles had a height restrictions  on its buildings since 1904. No buildings over 13 stories. The ordinance was finally overturned in 1958.  I think their city hall was the only exception in those 54 years. 

I always am fascinated by cities with height restrictions. Usually it almost seems like there is an invisible barrier in the sky but the city still grows nonetheless. Makes me think of Montreal. I imagine with that restriction lasting that long, it set them back with high rise development.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Morehead bridge over the rail line was a wooden bridge until the electric trolley in 1890 or so. The added weight and rail construction required the replacement of that early time. Morehead was at the outer edge of the city of Charlotte and the rail line limited crossing points so that bridge was, and is, an important traverse for whatever traffic is common to each era.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...