SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

On 10/28/2019 at 1:10 PM, KJHburg said:

From the Charlotte Ledger's Monday email and if you are not subscribing to this you should be:

I too have heard rumors of land sale here behind the Grace Covenant Church and since it is zoned UMUD it can be as tall as it wants to be.  Same zoning as the Lowes tech tower site.  High land price means tall building! 

""Real estate rumblings: Something big near key East/South boulevard corner?
There has been a lot of chatter lately about an apparent upcoming land sale near a prime South End corner — near the intersection of East and South boulevards, behind Grace Covenant Church. It’s either the worst-kept secret in local commercial real estate — at least a half-dozen local real-estate types have mentioned it to the Ledger — or somebody is masterful at spreading disinformation.   The intrigue surrounds a couple parcels owned by Browder-Harris Management Co. Property records show it owns three parcels there totaling about 2 acres, including land that’s now home to Tupelo Honey (the old Pewter Rose space), the parking lot behind it and The Manchester (formerly The Liberty). It does not own the church. Nobody said to be involved is talking publicly about it — not even usually chatty restaurant owners. (A Tupelo Honey spokeswoman told the Ledger she is “happy to set up an interview once we have more information to share.”)    Prime land, high price: The alleged deal is attracting attention because it is in a prime space — next to the East/West Boulevard light rail stop — and because the supposed sales price is possibly among the highest paid for land in that area, if not in all of Charlotte outside the I-277 loop. Those parcels are zoned for mixed-use.   Is it possible this is a baseless rumor? Yeah, it’s possible. But it’s a fact that people who do commercial real estate for a living and usually know what they’re talking about believe this is a big deal about to happen.""

Subscribe here if you want to   https://charlotteledger.substack.com/

Definitely not rumor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, QClifer said:

HAs there ever been any discussion on development at the parking lot on Bland st bordering the light rail/rail trail?   That’s a prefect spot for a high rise condo building 

This may be very unpopular to say--and I also realize this is likely NEVER to happen--but I actually wish that lot would never get developed and instead be turned into a small park. I am obviously (e.g. being on UP) down with dense urban development, but things can get too dense, and this is an area that actually doesn't have much 'green', even now, before its full development. There needs to be a little bit of green and space, every so often, and I just think that lot would be perfect as a restful spot right on the rail trail, in the heart of upper South End. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ertley said:

This may be very unpopular to say--and I also realize this is likely NEVER to happen--but I actually wish that lot would never get developed and instead be turned into a small park. I am obviously (e.g. being on UP) down with dense urban development, but things can get too dense, and this is an area that actually doesn't have much 'green', even now, before its full development. There needs to be a little bit of green and space, every so often, and I just think that lot would be perfect as a restful spot right on the rail trail, in the heart of upper South End. 

Wilmore Park is a block away!

• Like 2

So this means that there will eventually be no parking for either restaurant, or an absolute minimum for each?  I was at Tupelo Honey around Easter and I was hard pressed to get a spot almost by the church parking lot.  I love the transit related ideas, but for those of us that don't live on or near the light rail, we have to drive.  This makes the venture over there even more questionable if there is nowhere to park.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a parking garage that is somewhat close by that can be used as a replacement for this?

On a positive note, I have a feeling that this area of town will become our "mini Buckhead" portion of the skyline before too long!  Two buildings that are bigger than anything in South Park or Ballantyne!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

So this means that there will eventually be no parking for either restaurant, or an absolute minimum for each?  I was at Tupelo Honey around Easter and I was hard pressed to get a spot almost by the church parking lot.  I love the transit related ideas, but for those of us that don't live on or near the light rail, we have to drive.  This makes the venture over there even more questionable if there is nowhere to park.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a parking garage that is somewhat close by that can be used as a replacement for this?

On a positive note, I have a feeling that this area of town will become our "mini Buckhead" portion of the skyline before too long!  Two buildings that are bigger than anything in South Park or Ballantyne!

South end should’ve been midtown but since midtown is so disconnected (Also no light rail access), it is far behind in development, residentially and commercially.  I wish southpark mall was a bit closer.  Would’ve been a good connection to south end and Dilworth etc

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Can you drive to a parking garage along light rail and then ride in. I feel like it makes transit and pedestrian life harder for those living there when everywhere has to provide parking for those that don't live in the area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

Can you drive to a parking garage along light rail and then ride in. I feel like it makes transit and pedestrian life harder for those living there when everywhere has to provide parking for those that don't live in the area. 

Coming from the west, I would have to park somewhere between Woodlawn/Scaleybark and ride up from there, or go Uptown and park.  With those being so close to that area, I'd rather take my chances and try to park close to that area and walk a block or two.  But just wait for the Silver Line!  Then those of us in the hinterland can get on in Belmont and ride over to the Blue Line and the world is our oyster!!! :yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As a frequent visitor of Superica on W Worthington and Camden across from the Lowes tech tower site and the Hawk site I do agree once those 2 projects are done the parking will be better.  There are so many contractors parking on the streets and so many spots blocked off it is creating this shortage.  I usually walk 2-3 blocks unless I get "lucky".   With all the construction is a very small area it is pure t-chaos in that area.  And it is only slightly better on the weekends.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

As a frequent visitor of Superica on W Worthington and Camden across from the Lowes tech tower site and the Hawk site I do agree once those 2 projects are done the parking will be better.  There are so many contractors parking on the streets and so many spots blocked off it is creating this shortage.  I usually walk 2-3 blocks unless I get "lucky".   With all the construction is a very small area it is pure t-chaos in that area.  And it is only slightly better on the weekends.  

I (until very recently) worked right there so I follow this rather closely and see parking at all times of day.... once those 2 are complete there will be 3 to replace it ... on a larger scale.  The parking situation now, is about what  it is always going to be going forward.

I'm sure they'll include guest parking in the parking deck that will be included with the development.  You'll probable see a net gain in guest parking after everything is developed.

Plans include 1,000 -1,200 spaces in a deck. And parking for the existing retail will be replaced in that deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kermit said:

Isn’t this the way we begin to reduce our auto reliance? Isn’t the lack of parking a good thing from an urbanism perspective? 

Makes sense to us.

A tough explanation to the South End resident that has a Audi A4 for their daily commute to AvidXChange, a Jeep Wrangler for their weekend trips, and circles the parking lot of the Harris Teeter multiple times to get one of the spaces closest to the door rather than park at the back of the lot. Then add 20 minute head ways on the Light Rail on a Friday evening in the middle of January, and you send people right back into their Audi A4 with seat warmers circling the parking lots. 

Edited by CLT2014

On 11/1/2019 at 9:35 AM, CLT2014 said:

Makes sense to us.

A tough explanation to the South End resident that has a Audi A4 for their daily commute to AvidXChange, a Jeep Wrangler for their weekend trips, and circles the parking lot of the Harris Teeter multiple times to get one of the spaces closest to the door rather than park at the back of the lot. Then add 20 minute head ways on the Light Rail on a Friday evening in the middle of January, and you send people right back into their Audi A4 with seat warmers circling the parking lots. 

The crappy state of our transit reinforces my point I think. Even despite 20 minute night time headways on the Blue Line Southend is still packed with people looking to spend money. I really think Southend parking should be viewed as an unnecessary expense as long as business is good in the hood. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Vantage South End and The Arlington from Thrift Road

8a070e47d1e80e6876648b24a5197fc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to post that exact same picture yesterday.  It shocked me when I looked out the windshield.  Can’t wait To see Thrift Rd in a year when all the newly renovated warehouses are occupied and people are walking through enderly Park to Noble Smoke and the chicken shack

• Like 3

Just now, QClifer said:

I tried to post that exact same picture yesterday.  It shocked me when I looked out the windshield.  Can’t wait To see Thrift Rd in a year when all the newly renovated warehouses are occupied and people are walking through enderly Park to Noble Smoke and the chicken shack

Right!  Almost every structure on Thrift is being rehabbed right now.  It'll be interesting to see of the office building gets built at Thrift & Freedom.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AP3 said:

Right!  Almost every structure on Thrift is being rehabbed right now.  It'll be interesting to see of the office building gets built at Thrift & Freedom.

that is where Stratifyd's new 200 person expansion will be in a  30,000 sq ft building on Thrift in that area. 

• Like 4