SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

35 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Went to Superica yesterday afternoon for a friend's birthday.  Must have been there right around the time you took these pictures - based on the sun and shadows!  Parking on a late Sunday afternoon.  WOW!  Just as tough as a Friday night or Saturday!

I have had to cut back on my taco and enchilada consumption due to lack of parking I feel your pain. 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Serious question, cause I hear the parking complaint a lot:

Do people not:

1) realize there is a giant parking deck there?

2) feel that paying is worth it for the relatively low cost food options?

or, I guess it's always full???

that garage is very expensive during the day.  When Asana bought the Design Center from RAM they should have negotiated some retail parking spaces.  Many people parked at the lot across the street where the Lowes tower is going up  so those people are scrambling to find spaces.  Plus you have 2 major construction projects within 1 block of Superica with the Hawk and the Lowes tower and during the day those workers are all parked everywhere too. With metered parking along Camden people go looking on the side streets and those spaces just don't turn over as often.   As for point 2 I know from talking to the people at Superica is affecting their business.  I do however think it will get somewhat better once those projects are complete. 

• Like 3

I’ve been to superica 3-4 times.  And always parked on the street after being one of those people that circled for 5 minutes.  I’m not sure where a garage is to park, I’ve prob driven right by it.  Maybe the signage is poor and signage could be placed on Camden. I’m not complaining about parking. I’ll walk 4 blocks once I find some free parking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So... Even as an avid biker, transit lover, insufferable leftist urbanist... I had some rare free time and I actually went to the core of South End in my car with the intention of walking the rail trail during the holiday.

I ended up in a mad fervor looking for street parking or lots that didn't threaten towing, cursing the grandmothers of every driver I saw.

To answer your broader point: I can rarely justify paying for parking as I am not flush like many (I usually just happily walk 10-15 minutes from free parking to get somewhere; I like walking). But mostly, I am still programmed subconsciously to assume free parking somewhere; it is in our DNA as Americans until further notice. Also having a tiny human I am responsible for has definitely changed my calculus for transportation in this humid af city.

Anyway...

Everytime I visit a new city, the cost of parking at the hotel determines where I stay. The reality is that intercity travel in the US is very car dependent. You can get around in a city pretty well, but between them is a challenge. I love DC, one of my favorite cities, but I always stay in Crystal City at the Americana Hotel because they're the only place near a metro line with free parking that I can find. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Serious question, cause I hear the parking complaint a lot:

Do people not:

1) realize there is a giant parking deck there?

2) feel that paying is worth it for the relatively low cost food options?

or, I guess it's always full???

As someone that doesn't frequent that part of Southend all that much, I had no idea there was a garage close by.  If it is free to park on the weekends - I'm all about that.  

20 hours ago, kermit said:

There is always parking available in Dilworth or Wilmore as well as in the area around Sycamore -- all of this is less than a 5 minute walk to Superica etc. Parking in Southend is really no different than SouthPark at Christmas.

While the bartenders at Superica might hear lots of complaints about parking, the business  nonetheless had a record weekend over Labor Day (per the bar manager on Monday) so its not like the loss of parking is hurting their business -- its only making suburbanites complain. Businesses in Southend are beginning to see that there are _plenty_ of customers who don’t need to park.

Back in 2010 people said that restaurants and bars were going to loose business when the smoking ban took effect, but it didn't have any material impact. Southend or uptown or NoDa or Plaza Midwood business will not miss the car addicts when they are gone either.

I guess i'm one of those suburbanites that is "complaining" about parking.  When I worked Uptown, I had a paid parking space at lots around Morehead and Tryon.  So, I would just leave my car there and head back after going out after work.  Those lots are gone now.  Made way or making way for apartments and condos.  So, if I was able to go back Uptown to work, I'm sure the options to park are getting more and more rare.  It wasn't a complaint, but more of an observation that later on a Sunday early evening, I was surprised at how busy that area still was.  I think it is good that people are out and about until at least 10pm Sunday night - holiday happening the next day notwithstanding.  It only supports the fact that we are a growing and vibrant city.  The aspect that I walked about 4-5 blocks from where I had to park wasn't all that bad.  I got some exercise in for the day!!  :tw_lol:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

I'm going to wait until the restaurants and/or retail move in, but for now the final product confirms my fear that this would be a bad urban streetscape.

It Duda Paine's me to say, I agree. Tryon should have gotten a much better treatment. I Love the building, not the PED scape.

Not sure the best place to put this topic, but with US Bank financing the Pedestrian Bridge over the freeway, what are the odds they're looking at a South End location for a new tower to anchor?  They have a 6 year lease remaining at Hearst, but are cramped for space, and cannot expand within the building.   I read the speculation on UP of a N. Tryon location, but what about them potentially adding to the growth of South End and bridging Uptown and South End both physically (the bridge) and visually (the skyline).  

I've not heard anything, just like to speculate.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blakcatfan said:

Not sure the best place to put this topic, but with US Bank financing the Pedestrian Bridge over the freeway, what are the odds they're looking at a South End location for a new tower to anchor?  They have a 6 year lease remaining at Hearst, but are cramped for space, and cannot expand within the building.   I read the speculation on UP of a N. Tryon location, but what about them potentially adding to the growth of South End and bridging Uptown and South End both physically (the bridge) and visually (the skyline).  

Would be very surprised. For better or worse banks are prestige tenants that like to be in the CBD.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blakcatfan said:

I'd imagine they anchor a much emptier Bofa Plaza.

1 hour ago, CLT_sc said:

On the way in this morning, I noticed a group doing soil samples in the parking lot between the East Blvd Station and Tupelo Honey,  is there something planned here?

image.jpg

And also the lot behind the church at East/ West / South

image.jpg

Any chance of micro units plus a good amount of railtrail facing retail here?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, kermit said:

image.jpg

And also the lot behind the church at East/ West / South

image.jpg

Many chance of micro units plus a good amount of rail trail facing retail here?

Original plan by Centro Cityworks  was 12 floors office, retail and had a dozen vendor stalls lining the light rail. 

image.thumb.png.96c043c5a881045f12ba138781c0fcd7.png

New plan we will see. It will be high rise office with retail.

Edited by Guest