SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

On 6/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Might be time to have a South End high rise thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South End would need to have an actual mid rise first; Lowe's is the first mid rise to be built; I'm sure there's more to come but this thread having existed for over 10 years without an actual mid rise is like Charlotte calling itself "World Class" when I was a kid....

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

South End would need to have an actual mid rise first; Lowe's is the first mid rise to be built; I'm sure there's more to come but this thread having existed for over 10 years without an actual mid rise is like Charlotte calling itself "World Class" when I was a kid....

Ashton, DFA and the RailYard buildings are not midrises to you? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Whether Charlotte was or is “World Class” can be debated, but Lowe’s as a high-rise cannot. In fact it doesn’t even qualify as high-rise by many definitions because it’s too tall :)

• Like 2

While I do like my height outside of Uptown (no, not a sexual innuendo), I hope to see contiguous blocks filled with diverse mid rise apartment structures implemented with retail and modern office buildings sprinkled in. SouthEnd should be an example for all other areas interacting with the Light Rail with hubs of development centered around stations, much like Washington’s suburban developments. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, KJHburg said:

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

I noticed the other day that the front edge of the patio at Sycamore is built out of railroad rails.  Made me wonder if there is a story there.  This patio is pretty hodge podge as it is, so I would assume that someone found them onsite during construction or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Yup. This entire stretch of warehouses was served by sidings from the original railroad which ran where the Blue Line is now. Most of them have been removed but one that remains can be seen behind the buildings on Distribution st (near Dunavant).

The second graphic shows my best guess for the Sycamore siding (its just a guess), although I am certain about the siding layout at the building next door (the soon to be Portman mid-rise). 

The unrequested history lesson dujour is that this railroad (where the Blue Line is now) was the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad (later owned by Southern and eventually Norfolk Southern). This was the first railroad to reach the Piedmont of NC (and predates the NCRR by a couple of years). It was built to carry crops (mostly cotton) down to Columbia and then on to Charleston for export. The story I heard about route choice (from Tom Hanchett's book) was that they were uncertain about where to terminate the rail line, both Monroe and Gastonia were strongly considered -- a group of planters in _tiny_ Charlotte decided to get together and pay the rail company to end their line in Charlotte instead. The incentives paid to the (soon to be named) Charlotte and SC RR have been said to be "the single most important event in Charlotte's economic history." The railroad encouraged more rails to be built to town (the presence of the Charlotte and South Carolina was said to be the deciding factor in determining the Western end of the NCRR) and thus enabled Charlotte to become an industrial (and eventually financial) hub. rail siding Southend.jpg

rail sidings Sycamore.jpg

EDIT: While I was pulling the images I spotted the Southend Hilton, conveniently located behind the Common Market (see below).

[you don't need to look far in Google maps to find errors like this]

Southend Hilton.jpg

Did you submit a correction in Google Maps?

Edited by jednc

2 hours ago, Scribe said:

There is a rezoning application for 510 W Tremont Ave, Charlotte, NC 28203 - this is next to the townhome development.

Asking for MUDD zoning and max height of 65'  vague on other details anyone know what this is?

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2019/070-085/2019-073 site plan.pdf

Almost positive it’s a storage place