SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

10 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Lol. Ok. I had another building in mind around there. Definitely no loss

yea, I've been meaning to say that, a building with 8 ft ceilings is never worth saving. This might be one of the only buildings in Charlotte I might not chain myself to.

35 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

yea, I've been meaning to say that, a building with 8 ft ceilings is never worth saving. This might be one of the only buildings in Charlotte I might not chain myself to.

It would be interesting & fun to have a UP lead protest of a tear down. Did we miss a chance with the building behind the goodyear tire shop  (Tryon Place)? 

Not sure I'm into chains though. How about a beer keg and lawn chairs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

It would be interesting & fun to have a UP lead protest of a tear down. Did we miss a chance with the building behind the goodyear tire shop  (Tryon Place)? 

Not sure I'm into chains though. How about a beer keg and lawn chairs?

Yea, we are late on a couple good buildings :-(. Still have Polk to save tho

EDIT: forgot to answer the last part. I'm very game with Beer Kegs and Lawn Chairs, lets just make sure we anchor the chairs to the ground, so they cannot be removed. Like drive piles and crap.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Still have Polk to save tho

Pick virtually any other historic building and I'll be right there with you.  I really don't think there is a chance that Polk will be saved and I don't blame NWR under the circumstances.  It either get's demolished or it sits there in an increasingly dilapidated condition for years to come.  The economics do not support a restoration of that building unfortunately (and I believe them when they say they tried).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^I have 2 beach tents to contribute to the cause so our ice does not melt so quick during the sit in protest LOL 

I think you should be in charge of burgers actually. I can do beer.

Regarding driving piles I think that is too high a standard of construction. We should have a beige wooden deck we can put together quickly.

• Haha 2

I think you should be in charge of burgers actually. I can do beer.
Regarding driving piles I think that is too high a standard of construction. We should have a beige wooden deck we can put together quickly.

I cook a mean, mean steak. Kick any steak in charlottes ass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Scribe said:

Looks like a massive expansion by them... 7 out of 16 locations listed on their site are "opening soon" and Charlotte is not even listed on their site...

Look forward to trying it out!

I just moved from back to CLT after 3 years in Phoenix .  Flower Child is a good restaurant that will be a welcome addition to any neighborhood in CLT, but especially South End.  Also, let's keep our fingers crossed for more Sprouts.  They carry high quality foods at VERY reasonable prices.  I would love to see one of these in South End...not sure where you put it given the Publix and HT presence.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, go_vertical said:

The parking lot at 1100 S. Tryon is now closed so I imagine this is gearing up to get started. I'm quite disappointed that this premier intersection will end up with stick built apartments. On a positive note residents will have plenty of entertainment across the street, for whatever that's worth.

My company is in the brick building at 1100 S. Tryon St.  Our lease runs Feb 1, 2018 to January 31, 2019.  I was not involved in the lease negotiations, but I have been told we could only sign a one year lease because the building was being sold and torn down as part of the redevelopment of this lot.  So...the brick building and the paved parking area behind it are here for at least another 8 months.  The gravel lot behind the paved lot and the buildings on the edge of the lot do not appear to be in use, so there is a possibility that construction over there starts sooner. 

I haven't heard much on this development in a while.  Does anyone know more?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

My company is in the brick building at 1100 S. Tryon St.  Our lease runs Feb 1, 2018 to January 31, 2019.  I was not involved in the lease negotiations, but I have been told we could only sign a one year lease because the building was being sold and torn down as part of the redevelopment of this lot.  So...the brick building and the paved parking area behind it are here for at least another 8 months.  The gravel lot behind the paved lot and the buildings on the edge of the lot do not appear to be in use, so there is a possibility that construction over there starts sooner. 

I haven't heard much on this development in a while.  Does anyone know more?

that is interesting could be the rumored 2nd Beacon development or it could be someone else.  That building has been there since 80s or 90s and was leading edge when it was built.  But I could see a taller bigger building being built there.  I think this whole S Tryon corridor from 277 to Dimensional Funds at Camden will be a row of mid rise office buildings with apartments in the blocks behind.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Owned by Spectrum (and presumably their capital partner Barings).

Oddly this is still zoned industrial, but I don't suspect there would be much issue getting UMUD with conditions on this site.

Spectrum has been talking about making "a big splash" somewhere in town, I've been suspecting its this whole block. 

48 minutes ago, QCT1401 said:

Seems weird that they would tear down that building to redevelop the lot, when there is an empty surface lot next to it as well as all of the surface lots on the other side of Tryon.  

Depends on their overall plans with the remaining lot.  They may be looking to do something huge on this lot.  They may just be looking to do a wholesale upgrade of this building.  The space inside is C- office space.  I don't think anyone has spent any money to upgrade the building.  The elevators are ancient.  You press a button and one, two, or three of the cars come for you.  It makes you feel really wanted.  The bathrooms are atrocious.  I don't think simple rolling improvements or tenant allowances are sufficient to get this to A office space.  

On the development map, the building itself is excluded from the area marked for development.  However, the paved parking area that serves the building is included in the marked area.  Given the lack of info on this project, that box may have been drawn on fairly speculative data.  I can ask around about the building, but I am not nearly as well connected as others on this thread.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Owned by Spectrum (and presumably their capital partner Barings).

Oddly this is still zoned industrial, but I don't suspect there would be much issue getting UMUD with conditions on this site.

Spectrum owns half the lot, the portion with the building I am in.  The other half of the lot, with the gravel parking and older buildings is owned by LG Seven Investments LLC.  That entity is managed by William Gorelick, Issac Luski, and Summerlake Holdings.  I am not familiar with them, but they have several other entities they manage.  All of these entities look like SPEs for individual projects (ex: LG Five Investments LLC).  

1100 S Tryon.jpg

14 minutes ago, rockhilljames said:

When did we lose that gorgeous old house on that lot? Crimeny Charlotte...

Not old, not gorgeous. Can't remember exactly when it was built but it was somewhere around the late 1980s. Not a big loss. I think you are remembering that house with rose colored glasses. It really was nothing special, looked like something built in Piper Glen when it was first developed. The building BESIDE it however, that was a treasure that could have been used for something great.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, QCT1401 said:

Seems weird that they would tear down that building to redevelop the lot, when there is an empty surface lot next to it as well as all of the surface lots on the other side of Tryon.  

Its not weird. If you own the land, and its an underuse of prime land, then you redevelop it. Essentially there's 4.5 acres of land there, and theres literally only 54,000 sq feet of office on it, and a bunch of parking lots.  Railyard sits on almost 1.5 less acres and will be home to 360k of office, 50k of retail and 100 apartments.