Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

Ok hear me out:  this is good news bc it takes up another empty lot. 

But I also have this idea of taking the sliver of land between Midnight Diner and that gorgeous building at Trade & Brevard, and turn that into a plaza that connects to the Moxy. Use the remaining portions on that block to set up food trucks or kiosks for food. Heck, you can even extend the plaza to cross 4th as well and go behind Skye. And then on either side where there are vacant lots, build small scale entertainment like the B Tower on 5th. 

Ok here's what I am thinking : 

Hornets District .jpg

I really like this idea.  Tall buildings don't make necessarily make places stroll-worthy.  Surface-level intrigue and allure do.  Perhaps make it a "pedestrian-only shopping street with crafts, artisans, food, and entertainment."  Big money into replacing the CTC with high-rises really isn't the way to make these uptown sub-districts vibrant at the ground and stroll-worthy.  I'm convinced it's plazas and placemaking w/continuous programming.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I really like this idea.  Tall buildings don't make necessarily make places stroll-worthy.  Surface-level intrigue and allure do.  Perhaps make it a "pedestrian-only shopping street with crafts, artisans, food, and entertainment."  Big money into replacing the CTC with high-rises really isn't the way to make these uptown sub-districts vibrant at the ground and stroll-worthy.  I'm convinced it's plazas and placemaking w/continuous programming.

Well one of the reasons this might work is because it's odd shaped leftovers and one large lot (Preferred Parking). The only things that would work in terms of highrises would be something the size of Moxy or Skye, which isn't the worst thing, but this at least tries to maximize the odd shapes into something useful. And then when the CTC closes and the new buildings are built, it can somewhat connect to that development and further connect with Epicenter, thus creating a natural entertainment district that doesn't rely on one big development plan. 

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Elizabeth Avenue should be our South Congress Street. The other opportunity and it’s already starting to happen is this area.

image.thumb.png.8e9f541b50d14b3bc8f12aad1cd7f150.png

South Tryon - I could see that.  It’s just missing some signature civic spaces for non-vagrancy gathering and additional clusters of retail.  I know there’s the storefronts in the rear of Railyard but need substantially more.  

As for Elizabeth Ave, I’m hoping the streetcar doesn’t act as an impediment to additional storefront density.  Same for Wesley heights. We’ll see. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Imagine if all there of these NC RR parcels were sold for development or leased out for development?  

The legislature asked (ordered?) the NCRR to sell these parcels (as well as some others no longer adjacent to their ROW) about 5 years ago. I am not sure the RR sold any of them. Since the state is the only NCRR shareholder I am not sure why they have not made more of a stink about this.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Just now, kermit said:

The legislature asked (ordered?) the NCRR to sell these parcels (as well as some others no longer adjacent to their ROW) about 5 years ago. I am not sure the RR sold any of them.

One is tied with White Point Partners and their CTC station development. The other is looking for a 99 year land lease

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CLT Development said:

One is tied with White Point Partners and their CTC station development. The other is looking for a 99 year land lease

White Point Partners owns half that block but it still shows NC RR owning the other half.  

• Thanks 1

CTC development is still a go after the Hornets pulled out 

Edit; KJ shared in the CTC thread

Edited by MothBeast

I get asked about this apartment complex a lot and yes it is happening.  The Daniel Corp. apartments planned for N Graham between 6th and 7th Streets.

From the Ledger this morning:

"": An Alabama developer has finally closed on its purchase of 1.6 acres in Fourth Ward uptown, after winning approval for plans for a 7-story apartment building from the Historic District Commission.

The Daniel Corp. of Birmingham, Ala., paid $9M for two parcels on Graham Street between 6th and 7th streets, according to documents filed this week with the register of deeds. The company plans to build apartments on land that contains an old tire shop and the former Fourth Ward Bread, which has a brick façade dating to the 1950s that is deemed historic.

The company was planning to build above the 1950s building but told the Historic District Commission that it is “not salvageable and requires demolition.” However, the company plans to rebuild the front portion of the building in its original form.""

10_2023-00865_dec.pdf (charlottenc.gov)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

image.thumb.png.ca5453a3a76ca49bf695fb3671e94f02.png

dun dun dun... another one bites the dust

I’m with you, and am very skeptical of that explanation. They can move the entire Leeper-Wyatt building but have to tear this one down?

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I get asked about this apartment complex a lot and yes it is happening.  The Daniel Corp. apartments planned for N Graham between 6th and 7th Streets.

From the Ledger this morning:

"": An Alabama developer has finally closed on its purchase of 1.6 acres in Fourth Ward uptown, after winning approval for plans for a 7-story apartment building from the Historic District Commission.

The Daniel Corp. of Birmingham, Ala., paid $9M for two parcels on Graham Street between 6th and 7th streets, according to documents filed this week with the register of deeds. The company plans to build apartments on land that contains an old tire shop and the former Fourth Ward Bread, which has a brick façade dating to the 1950s that is deemed historic.

The company was planning to build above the 1950s building but told the Historic District Commission that it is “not salvageable and requires demolition.” However, the company plans to rebuild the front portion of the building in its original form.""

10_2023-00865_dec.pdf (charlottenc.gov)

Just another basic stick built apartment with no character. Thanks for the update though. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Well since there is only 2 current stick built apartment buildings being built inside 277 loop right now, every little project is needed.  The lack of new apartments in uptown is unbelievable when you look to the south, north, west, or east.   Hopefully Vela starts their high rise this year.  

You're exactly right.  As long as this is being built to the sidewalk and incorporating core urban design principles to integrate with the streetscape, then this meets a core need for housing in center city and the replacement of blacktop and surface parking.  This is good news.  It's annoying to me that the project took this long.

• Like 3