Election '08: Primaries

JDC

Almost a week late, but does anyone know why Kucinich didn't take part in the ABC debate? I feel it could've been a prime opportunity for him to express some of his views/opinions since the stage was less crowded with Dodd and Biden having dropped out.

I too am hoping for Bloomberg to announce his plans for president. He's a man that would automatically get my vote.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Obama/Richardson ticket has merit. As for Bloomberg, he's been playing cat and mouse with the press too much for my liking. He has interesting ideas, but I have to wonder if he'd be perceived in the same light as Ross Perot...pots of money and little experience governing. He does have more of the latter than Perot, but the taint of big money is still there. Being very rich didn't help Steve Forbes. All in all, I'd prefer that the elections did not become the province of the rich (even though they already are in so many ways).

Almost a week late, but does anyone know why Kucinich didn't take part in the ABC debate? I feel it could've been a prime opportunity for him to express some of his views/opinions since the stage was less crowded with Dodd and Biden having dropped out.

I too am hoping for Bloomberg to announce his plans for president. He's a man that would automatically get my vote.

actually, i'm more worried that bloomberg could put a republican in the white house. while he's a republican mayor, he's really a democrat. if hillary gets the democratic nomination and bloomberg runs, my vote is bloomberg.

i'm curious who dodd endorses. his views on the issues are very similar to kucinich's.

I'm sick of the debates. How many can we have, for God's sake?! I have grown so weary of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina that I don't even care anymore who wins. Just get it over already. Besides, my vote in a primary doesn't matter anyway. All the media cares about is how two exceedingly white states cast their ballots, the rest of us be damned. This whole bloody system is broken beyond repair and it just makes me sick.

I'm surprised at the lack of discussion overall about politics on here, as we've discovered in UP Norfolk alot of educated individuals, and lord knows college bred folk have many opinions. In regards to 08, i'm, regretably, firmly entrenched on the GOP. I say regretably because while no one knows what might happen in the next 10 months, our odds at holding onto Pennsylvania Ave are slim, depending on the candidate. While orginially a Fred Thompson supporter, his apathy towards his own campaign has left me cold, as well as his email communication, which rarely if ever come from him, it's a staff member, campaign director or something. I don't think it's too much to ask from a candidate to type a short blurb to his supporters once or twice a week.

Currently i'm in the Huckabee camp, my brother is actually traveling to South Carolina next weekend to work the primary down there for Huckabee. While Huckabee is still finding his way, his energy, wit and charisma is refreshing, as well as his policies. While FairTax might be a pipe-dream, it's better than the status quo and is at least an original idea.

But on both sides, it's hard to tell right now what's going to happen. I think alot will depend on running mates to determine electability. For instance, a McCain/Huckabee ticket would do wonders for GOP, imo. On the Democratic side, if the chips do fall their way, i'd prefer Obama to Hilary (when did she start spelling her name with 2 Ls?) simply because he's more apt to reach across the aisle then alienate and divide like Hilary. New Hampshire was a shock, especially if the 'crying' saga did in fact have something to do with it. Regardless, this year is going to be an exciting year, and i look forward to following closely.

While orginially a Fred Thompson supporter, his apathy towards his own campaign has left me cold, as well as his email communication, which rarely if ever come from him, it's a staff member, campaign director or something. I don't think it's too much to ask from a candidate to type a short blurb to his supporters once or twice a week.

Indeed. Let's keep in mind these are not really debates given the way the questions are being asked. The more resemble dog and pony shows put on for entertainment purposes by our tabloidistic news organizations. The real presidential debates pretty much ended when the League of Women voters dropped out of holding these with much more formal standards almost 20 years ago.

These debates are simply political beauty pagaents.......b*O*r*I*n*G! :(

Yesterday on several cable news channels, several reporters were saying "we're down to three Democratic candidates".....er, isn't Dennis Kucinich still a candidate????

Maybe this post should go on the conspiracy thread, but our supposedly "free media" is propoganda pure and simple.

I'm surprised at the lack of discussion overall about politics on here, as we've discovered in UP Norfolk alot of educated individuals, and lord knows college bred folk have many opinions. In regards to 08, i'm, regretably, firmly entrenched on the GOP. I say regretably because while no one knows what might happen in the next 10 months, our odds at holding onto Pennsylvania Ave are slim, depending on the candidate. While orginially a Fred Thompson supporter, his apathy towards his own campaign has left me cold, as well as his email communication, which rarely if ever come from him, it's a staff member, campaign director or something. I don't think it's too much to ask from a candidate to type a short blurb to his supporters once or twice a week.

Currently i'm in the Huckabee camp, my brother is actually traveling to South Carolina next weekend to work the primary down there for Huckabee. While Huckabee is still finding his way, his energy, wit and charisma is refreshing, as well as his policies. While FairTax might be a pipe-dream, it's better than the status quo and is at least an original idea.

But on both sides, it's hard to tell right now what's going to happen. I think alot will depend on running mates to determine electability. For instance, a McCain/Huckabee ticket would do wonders for GOP, imo. On the Democratic side, if the chips do fall their way, i'd prefer Obama to Hilary (when did she start spelling her name with 2 Ls?) simply because he's more apt to reach across the aisle then alienate and divide like Hilary. New Hampshire was a shock, especially if the 'crying' saga did in fact have something to do with it. Regardless, this year is going to be an exciting year, and i look forward to following closely.

I found this article in the on-line edition of the Washington Post. Is Hillary covertly introducing issues of race against Obama? This article raises the question in pointed terms. Will people stand for this? It would appear that she is attempting to place a velvet glove over her true hand.

The Washington Post

To be fair to Fred Thompson (far be it for me to defend a GOP candidate) I don't think any of the candidates write their own emails. I know damn well that Obama has written all the emails that pile up in my inbox. A national campaign is obviously grueling and I really don't think any of the candidates have time to be writing essays everyday. I put far more emphasis on the spoken word, you can tell both by their manner of delivery and body language whether what they say truly comes from the heart.

^Indeed. Kerry managed to lose an election to the worst president in American history. The internet is referring to his endorsement of Obama as the kiss of death. Not something that Obama really wanted to be associated with.

IMO, Hillary will be un-electable, especially against McCain.

I'm a Democrat who's not exactly Hillary's biggest fan either, but for me it comes down to issues before personalities. McCain will leave troops in Iraq indefinitely and the largely Democratic congress will continue to struggle with a Republican in the White House, even one as moderate as McCain may be.

If Hillary gets the nomination, I'll be looking forward to an announcement from Bloomberg.

Archived