Election '08: Primaries

JDC

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it wrong to view it as insensitive and sexist? It's the reality of global politics. Some may think it's ok to cry, but does that make the leader of the #1 power in the world seem weak to other nations? IMO, overall, her "emotional episode" actually hurt her in the long run.

Bush's I and II, Ronald Reagan, and Secretary of Defense Gates have all teared up publicly. Even Mitt Romney has cried publicly and he's a current candidate. Nobody raised hell when any of that happened. A woman tears up and all of a sudden she's a weak leader. The double standard sickens me and yes I do believe it is a wrong and sexist view.

the daily show did an interview with a black woman (color only matters because she's doubly discriminated against) who was saying that the president should be a man because women are too emotional and can't be level headed. i found that kind of amusing.

Well, John Kerry endorsed Obama yesterday. I'm not sure if this will help or hurt Obama honestly. On one hand, Kerry brings a lot to the table with enough political connections to help get out the vote. On the other hand, I fail to see how Obama can run as the anti-establishment candidate when someone who is so blatantly part of the "establishment" is backing him up.

Long answer, it's a lot more complicated than that. The people are not so simplistic they are jumping up and down mindlessly when a candidate utters the word. The Bush administration is littered with simplistic phrases that end up meaning nothing in the end. Obama, in his speeches is offering to bring back hope for the future, as opposed to fear of the future that is being presented by people like Guiliani, and the people are drinking it up. Whether Obama delivers on that is another matter but I assume the commentary was about the campaigning method and why people respond as they do.

As far as I can tell, no one has had anything to say. Obama, Clinton, Romney, Huckabee, you name 'em, none of these idiots have said anything worth listening to so far. While I admit I haven't been watching this stuff 24-7, I have watched enough to know that none of these people can seem to move beyond empty sound-bites and catch phrases about "new directions" and "voting for change". Yawn.

Deciding which one of these clowns we should vote for is like trying to pick the best Super Bowl (erm.. "Big Game") halftime show. They are all really bad.

If a Democrat is able to carry the states John Kerry managed to win in 2004, PLUS New Mexico, then the Democrat wins. It makes all the sense in the world to put Richardson on the ticket as VP.

However, the Clintons and Richardson have had strained relations for some time. Not sure how Obama and Richardson get along.

^True, the media should make it clear that in terms of delegate count the NH primary was irrelevant for the Democrats. However, winning the state will give Clinton a boost in future races, as happened with Obama after Iowa. Most voters look at races won or lost more than they look at delegate count.

Including superdelegates who have already pledged, Clinton actually has a significant lead over Obama in the delegate count. However, it is questionable whether her campaign could have recovered had she lost NH to Obama. Back-to-back losses in the first two contests would have sent a powerful negative message to voters in upcoming states.

It's become very apparent with this withdraw from the race, and being really coy about whom he might support that Richardson is hedging his bets to become the VP running mate of Hillary or Obama. (should they be nominated) I would have said that he is working Hillary for the job, but so far he hasn't endorsed her.

I thought about that as well, at least that he sees himself as a better VP candidate, and I agree, though I cringe at the thought of having to wait 8 years for him to have a viable shot.....I also cringe at the thought of that person being Hillary.

If it was Obama/Richardson, I'd consider it, really depending on the Republican challenger. If it's Clinton/Richardson, it's definitely Republican, or some third party.

I'd vote for Bloomberg in a second if he showed up on the ballot, but that's an interesting point tombarnes.....what if it was Clinton vs. Rep. X vs. Bloomberg.....that would be worst case for me, because I'd hate to cast a meaningless vote for Bloomberg that inadvertently helps Hillary.

Archived