Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

In any case, with gas prices leaping large in the past little while, I'd expect another surge in numbers to follow. And once the many residential projects in South End open doors, there's no reason we can't surpass the prior high.

It'll be interesting to see just how many more riders-per-day they'll equate to, versus actual number of new residents. I doubt it would be at or near 100 percent, despite the LYNX's draw to the area; seeing how it's not the only reason that area's desirable.

Edited by Eightane

I think it would be impossible to track, but it would be interesting to see the impact of Uptown surface lots being developed on Lynx ridership. Granted, there is definitely not a shortage of cheap parking Uptown or within walking distance, but there should be at least a marginal increase in ridership when entire lots are taken off the market. I'm thinking specifically of Romare Bearden and the Knights Stadium, though development in First Ward (if Levine ever cares to act on his plans) would probably have a more measurable effect.

argh, not Lynx service from Scaleybark to CTC will be replaced by bus service on the weekends of  Feb 23-24, March 9-10 and March 16-17 in order to complete the Poindexter grade crossing.

This is going to seriously disrupt my hockey / beer drinking schedule.....

I e-mailed APTA and they said the weekday ridership numbers come from the agency.  So apparently it was CATS that changed the reporting in Q4 2010.

It looks like before that time, they were taking total rides and dividing by weekdays.  Now they appear to be doing either A) weekday rides divided by weekdays, or B) total rides adjusted to remove weekends divided by weekdays.

Perhaps before Q4 2010 they thought they were starting with weekday rides in their calc when it was actually total rides.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Capacity Expansion Project (upgrades for 3 car trains) will coincide/be included with BLE?
Basically, is the new construction of the extension north already planned/budgeted for 3 car trains and will the south line will be simultaneously retro-fitted and expanded?

Yes, but it's not like the BLE is happening at mach speed.  We still have 4y till it opens. 

I was hoping there would be an opportunity to get funding for additional stations to be expanded, but the world of funding for infrastructure seems very tight in the near term, so I don't think that is going to happen.

My memory of the platform extending TIGER grant (for CTC, 3rd st, Stonewall and 485) was that it was originally scheduled to be completed well before the BLE. I also remember reading that the remaining platforms on the South line would be extended as part of the BLE construction.

Unfortunately I can't find the article which discussed this and there is no mention of platform extensions on the South line in the BLE construction schedule.

I did find the original application: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/Documents/TIGERIII%20Application%20BLE%20Capacity%20Expansion%20Project%20Final.pdf

it says: construction starts June 2013, and revenue operation on June 2015.

It would make zero sense to operate most of the South line with 2 car platforms post-BLE when the remainder of the system will have three car capacity.

EDIT: Here is the 'official' CATS page for the Capacity Expansion Project: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/Pages/Blue%20Line%20Capacity%20Expansion.aspx

it says "Design for the project is expected to begin in 2012, with construction starting in 2014."

it also says:

The Blue Line Capacity Expansion Project will incrementally provide the ability to operate three-car trains at increased frequencies. These
improvements will lengthen the existing light rail station platforms to accept three-car trains, [emphasis added]

which implies (to me) that all of the south line platforms will be extended eventually.

EDIT 2: I found a CBJ article about the capacity expansion grant from December 2011 which said:

The expanded capacity will initially be used for special events, when ridership is especially heavy, CATS says. When the expansion to UNCC is completed, three-car trains are expected to run all along the corridor.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2011/12/beltway-backs-local-transit.html?page=all

Edited by kermit

Any chance this sucker opens in phases? Or will the while line open at once. It seems silly not to work from uptown to UNCC and try to open one stop at a time. I'd love to buy some investment property in NoDa, to coincide with the BLE opening.

Any chance this sucker opens in phases? Or will the while line open at once. It seems silly not to work from uptown to UNCC and try to open one stop at a time. I'd love to buy some investment property in NoDa, to coincide with the BLE opening.

Going by the construction schedule it will not be phaseable. Grading, bridging and site prep for the 7th st to Old Concord section will not be complete until June 2016 and the track contract appears to be a single unit and is not scheduled to be complete until August 2016. Stations for segment A (the 7th st-Old Concord segment) are scheduled for completion around October 2016.

Since it appears that CATS is going with a single contract for the trackwork phasing looks very unlikely at this point.

IMO the LRT premium in NoDa SFH real estate has been in place for a while. I would look in Optimist Park and Villa Heights. If you are willing to be a pioneer then the Howe Acres area is intriguing (across Sugar Creek from the NoDa warehouse district)

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/projectfacts/Documents/2012%200723%20-%20BL45%20Construction%20Summary.pdf

Going by the construction schedule it will not be phaseable. Grading, bridging and site prep for the 7th st to Old Concord section will not be complete until June 2016 and the track contract appears to be a single unit and is not scheduled to be complete until August 2016. Stations for segment A (the 7th st-Old Concord segment) are scheduled for completion around October 2016.

Since it appears that CATS is going with a single contract for the trackwork phasing looks very unlikely at this point.

IMO the LRT premium in NoDa SFH real estate has been in place for a while. I would look in Optimist Park and Villa Heights. If you are willing to be a pioneer then the Howe Acres area is intriguing (across Sugar Creek from the NoDa warehouse district)

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/projectfacts/Documents/2012%200723%20-%20BL45%20Construction%20Summary.pdf

That'll be a tough sell with my wife, she can barely stomach the idea of buying and eventually living in NoDa or Wilmore one day... 

That'll be a tough sell with my wife, she can barely stomach the idea of buying and eventually living in NoDa or Wilmore one day... 

I understand her perspective, honestly If I were buying for myself at the moment I would probably be looking in NoDa. An investment property would be a different story.

I suspect that Wilmore (at least the section from Wilmore Ave east) will be thoroughly 'Dilworthicated' once the new Southend multifamily begins to fill up.

Sorry about the digression......

I understand her perspective, honestly If I were buying for myself at the moment I would probably be looking in NoDa. An investment property would be a different story.

I suspect that Wilmore (at least the section from Wilmore Ave east) will be thoroughly 'Dilworthicated' once the new Southend multifamily begins to fill up.

Sorry about the digression......

Well it'd be an income property for the rest of the time we live in Brooklyn, but when we want to have kids and move back to Charlotte we would eventually move into it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

File under 'not really news, but I still think its exciting'

CATS just sent out a press release on public meetings for the start of construction of the BLE:

Charlotte, N.C., May 15, 2013 - The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) is hosting public meetings to provide an update on the LYNX Blue Line Extension light rail project and upcoming construction activities that will begin this summer. Demolition and advanced utility relocation work will be starting in the next month or two. Residents, business owners and commuters will see temporary signage and temporary fencing, grading, new retaining walls and other pre-construction activities.

Public Meetings:

Oasis Shriners Center
604 Doug Mayes Place
Charlotte, NC
Tuesday, May 21, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Sugaw Creek Presbyterian Church
101 W. Sugar Creek Road
Charlotte, NC
Thursday, May 30, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

• Like 1