Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

1 hour ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

UNCC Station

--In Addition--

I'd like he opportunity to say I do not like this installation bolted to the ground. It looks like a warped bench that you can't sit in from the ground.

I think "semi-functional" is the case. http://charlottenc.gov/cats/transit-planning/art-in-transit/current-projects/Pages/ble-uncc-station.aspx

22 hours ago, mad_park said:

3 car trains won't be happening anytime soon....wonder if they'll be able to increase the frequency at peak hours to make up?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article139256098.html#storylink=indep

Lot's of bad news for the light rail recently.  Not a great time to ask for billions on other lines...

• Like 1

Got to 485 station at 10:20 today.  No spots in deck.  No spots outside.  I mean none....unless you want to park at Steak n Shake or over across South Blvd.  There were tons of people illegally parked along the islands in the outside lot.

Sharon Rd West was also FULL on the sign, so I didn't drive in.

Arrowood had lots of space.

I had never seen 485 completely full before.  Not that I frequently get there that late.  Made me wonder if some special event was going on uptown --- or is it just that busy these days?

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, grodney said:

Got to 485 station at 10:20 today.  No spots in deck.  No spots outside.  I mean none....unless you want to park at Steak n Shake or over across South Blvd.  There were tons of people illegally parked along the islands in the outside lot.

Sharon Rd West was also FULL on the sign, so I didn't drive in.

Arrowood had lots of space.

I had never seen 485 completely full before.  Not that I frequently get there that late.  Made me wonder if some special event was going on uptown --- or is it just that busy these days?

It isn't uncommon for me to see 485 station and Sharon Road West station FULL when driving by in the morning around 830.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, UPNoDa said:

^That speaks volumes about the need for increased capacity (read: three car trains)

Or maybe a better connection with Ballantyne so that more people don't have to drive.  Increasing the parking deck size and higher frequency is probably way cheaper though. 

11 hours ago, DEnd said:

Or maybe a better connection with Ballantyne so that more people don't have to drive.  Increasing the parking deck size and higher frequency is probably way cheaper though. 

Id like to see a study of where the commuters are coming from that are driving/parking/riding from the 485 station? Ballantyne direction, are we seeing anybody come over from 77 and ride from the 485 station? The 485 parking is already massive and they seem to squeeze another 40spots in every couple years

id love to see the light rail go to Ballantyne one day and have 2 stops out there, prob not in my lifetime though

I actually think that CATS is tip toeing around the fact, that Norfolk Southern is probably a BIG culprit in this delay and financial overrun. The railroad has not been a team player on various parts of the the rail line for quite awhile. They reneged on sharing the tracks for the Red Line to Lake Norman. They have been a BIG obstacle for the construction of a badly need Amtrak/Central Transportation Center on West Trade as well. It's ironic, that the south line that opened up in 2007 is actually a very limited Norfolk Southern route (if it is used at all). That's probably why there was not the cost overruns associated with that part of the line.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, kermit said:

kinda shocked that this kid whines about walking a half mile.

Eh, in some transit studies only 1/4 mile is considered reasonable walking distance/walking shed for a transit stop. Especially if you consider people walking in professional attire or in an area with hot temps

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

Eh, in some transit studies only 1/4 mile is considered reasonable walking distance/walking shed for a transit stop. Especially if you consider people walking in professional attire or in an area with hot temps

just a bunch of pu55ys

(its probably for the best that I am not a transportation planner)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

^ so how much construction activity on the line is still visibly underway? The photos make it look like nearly everything is buttoned up.  If CATS is going to meet their mid November open date (the date that they gave the FTA in the last quarterly report) then they will need to take posestion of the line to begin testing within the next six weeks (I believe). Does anyone have a sense of progress from either observation or gossip?

36 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ so how much construction activity on the line is still visibly underway? The photos make it look like nearly everything is buttoned up.  If CATS is going to meet their mid November open date (the date that they gave the FTA in the last quarterly report) then they will need to take posestion of the line to begin testing within the next six weeks (I believe). Does anyone have a sense of progress from either observation or gossip?

Well, they're already landscaping some of the stations. Last I knew 36th street was still a hold-up, but I think catenary wires are running along there now, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see a test train being moved north past the new maintenance yard very, very soon. Apparently Sunday mornings are a good day to be on the look out for that.

• Like 2