Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that shuttle routes are getting reworked to work as feeder lines. I also could be misremembering though.

7 hours ago, southslider said:

UNCC would likely continue to have three shuttle routes, as there are today.

On 8/8/2016 at 0:34 AM, nmundo said:

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that shuttle routes are getting reworked to work as feeder lines. I also could be misremembering though.

So this is already out of date, but this was the routing plan proposed in the 2012-2017 CTSP. They are in the middle of updating the plan, so hopefully we'll have a better picture soon. 

map.png

text.png

1 hour ago, SentioVenia said:

Why would there be a UNCC sign at Woodlawn station?  Maybe the thought is students would commute from that station and the sign tells them which train to get on.  

Same reason It says 485 at Bland st -- it's just a directional indicator.

What do you all know about having wifi on light rail?  Kansas City's light rail has WiFi provided by Sprint, which you can use for free if you're a Sprint customer.  Do they accomplish that with a bunch of hot spots all along the line?  Or one hotspot on each train car that receives signal somehow from somewhere (very technical!).  Do other cities have wifi on light rail?  Most importantly, could say Google Fiber provide wifi on Lynx?

I can currently get TWCwifi and Cablewifi at most stops, but it's VERY weak right at the stop, and then fades to nothing pretty quickly between stops.  Is it a total pipe dream to have full strong wifi for the length of the Blue Line?

I've always had problems when I tried to use wifi on the Lynx as well. I'm hopeful that when the BLE opens next year and Google Fiber up and running that they two will partner together and give us a better, stronger signal. I don't think it's too much of a pipe dream to be honest. Especially considering the university is one of the stops. 

12 hours ago, grodney said:

What do you all know about having wifi on light rail?  Kansas City's light rail has WiFi provided by Sprint, which you can use for free if you're a Sprint customer.  Do they accomplish that with a bunch of hot spots all along the line?  Or one hotspot on each train car that receives signal somehow from somewhere (very technical!).  Do other cities have wifi on light rail?  Most importantly, could say Google Fiber provide wifi on Lynx?

I can currently get TWCwifi and Cablewifi at most stops, but it's VERY weak right at the stop, and then fades to nothing pretty quickly between stops.  Is it a total pipe dream to have full strong wifi for the length of the Blue Line?

I don't know this for sure, but I am like 99% sure this is how they are doing it in KC. Since it is a very dense downtown area, it is blanketed with very high capacity 4G coverage, both LTE and WiMAX. They likely just have repeaters in the cars that get the connection from the cellular network, like your phone does. Sprint is a Kansas City company (More specifically Overland Park, Kansas, a suburb of Kansas City) they have that city covered with a very good network, probably the only place in the country that Sprint outperforms all the other carriers.

The light rail could probably accomplish a similar task, but we really don't have a company around here that would "foot the bill" so to speak. If I recall correctly, Sprint has covered most of downtown Kansas City with WiFi as well.

^ My memory is fuzzy but I believe there will be no three car trains before the BLE opens (with the possible exception of special service following Panthers home games). I believe that regular three car trains will wait for CATS to get the Core Capacity Expansion Grant that the are prepping for now to finish the South Line stations (only 485, Woodlawn, Stonewall, 7th and CTC (?) were expanded-- so it will be three plus (?) years before they become commonplace IRRC.

All of the BLE was built for three car trains.

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ My memory is fuzzy but I believe there will be no three car trains before the BLE opens (with the possible exception of special service following Panthers home games). I believe that regular three car trains will wait for CATS to get the Core Capacity Expansion Grant that the are prepping for now to finish the South Line stations (only 485, Woodlawn, Stonewall, 7th and CTC (?) were expanded-- so it will be three plus (?) years before they become commonplace IRRC.

All of the BLE was built for three car trains.

If they use them for (after) Panther games, it will be pretty funny if they have giant hand-written banners (or something) on the third car to indicate that if you get in that one, you can only get out at Woodlawn or 485.  I'm actually interested to see if they do that, or if they would let out 2 cars, then pull forward a little, then let out the 3rd car.

Edited by grodney

4 hours ago, grodney said:

If they use them for (after) Panther games, it will be pretty funny if they have giant hand-written banners (or something) on the third car to indicate that if you get in that one, you can only get out at Woodlawn or 485.  I'm actually interested to see if they do that, or if they would let out 2 cars, then pull forward a little, then let out the 3rd car.

Is it possible that they would be able to bring the front car past the platform halfway and the back car halfway as well and only open half the doors on the shorter platforms? I've seen this done on the New York subway system when the platforms weren't long enough for the train.

Edited by DavieNative

2 minutes ago, DavieNative said:

Is it possible that they would be able to bring the front car past the platform halfway and the back car halfway as well and only open half the doors on the shorter platforms? I've seen this done on the New York subway system when the platforms weren't long enough for the train.

That's an intriguing possibility, but still hinges on clear communication so people aren't left scrambling from one end of a train to the other. 

12 hours ago, grodney said:

I was gone last week, so I don't know when this happened.....the trains at 485 Station are now stopping in the new 3-car alignment.

I can't recall.....do we know when they'll start running 3 cars?  And how will that work at 2-car stations?

I noticed they started doing that at 7th street station also.