Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Well, the extreme and uninformed people will always be on the interwebs commenting, and maybe in our case that is us.  But there is a lot to be said on the damage that free parking does to cities.  Most southeast US citizens are only aware of this lifestyle/city plan and cannot imagine any different certainly not to support public policies that try to shift the momentum.  

It is the same complaints we already see against transit planning, urban infrastructure in general, complete streets/bike lanes, greenways, toll lanes, connectivity requirements, etc.   The fact is, as a city, we have already used up our land in the suburban sprawl design.  Our only hope for future growth is to urbanize.  

Transit is the best way to do that with carrots only, but Univershity City is proving we must also do the hard work to re-zone, and put as many policies in place to discourage the old model that left us with terrible city planning like dead malls, plastic suburbs, and auto-oriented commercial arteries like Independence, South Blvd, 51, that are disturbingly ugly.  

If we had a gorgeous city to begin with, there may have been protests and social change enough in the 1950-60s to prevent the transit to auto-oriented society in the first place.    Amsterdam was in the process of tearing down neighborhoods for major auto thoroughfares, but it was obvious to their citizens what would be lost to their society by the lost of those 500+ year old gorgeous buildings, so they protested and won, and in the end, had to build the bike and tram and train infrastructure that now makes them a more sustainable society.     Charlotte didn't do that, and in 10-15 years, much of uptown had streets widened for O'dell's city planning, tearing down many old neighborhoods, and many remaining blocks torn down for parking from suburban commuters (plus the mixed-motive urban renewal activities that tore down Brooklyn/2nd Ward).  This parking wasn't necessarily free, but all part of when our parents and grandparents generations converted the city to auto-oriented.   It is really hard to move back from that since we have so many people used to that.  

Even with my group of conscientious and liberal friends who care for the environment and urban issues still descend on a restaurant with 5 cars for 6 people for dinner.  I can't imagine what groups of friends who don't care would do. 

Could someone elaborate on how the system leaves N. Tryon and enters the UNCC campus? The video didn't really explain it well. Last I heard it would be a cut-and-cover tunnel. Is that still correct?

once the tracks pass the university entrance on Tryon street the they descend below grade and veer right, underneath the outbound lanes of Tryon. When the train gets on campus it will run on an elevated track through a wooded area of campus near the football practice fields and over the campus greenway/trails until it gets to the terminus station.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/overview/Documents/2012%2012%20-%20LYNX%20BLE%20Project%20Layout%20Map-C.pdf

Hmmm.  I thought the final design changed that to a ramp up (in purple on this map) and then a bridge over half of Tryon.  

Maybe I have been reading it wrong for a few years.   I guess the bridge shown is at grade of Tryon with the rail going under like everyone says.  I guess I thought that was an up and over as a cost savings. 

Thanks everyone.

I actually found a document that details the alignment of the line, and at the end, it says "This includes is (sic) the approximately 0.6 cut and cover underpass of the LRT under northbound N. Tryon Street". I can't seem to post the document for some reason, but I am sure if you google the quote something will pop up.

.6 miles seems like an awfully long tunnel just to exit N. Tryon.

I guess the bridge shown is at grade of Tryon with the rail going under like everyone says.  I guess I thought that was an up and over as a cost savings. 

I'm pretty certain that's what it is.  The red "bridge" is actually Tryon bridging over the now below grade LRT line.  That is supported by the fact that the ramp isn't shown as a bridge, and that on the UNCC side of Tryon, the LRT tracks are quickly shown returning to grade, which makes sense given the downward slope on the UNCC side...no way could a bridge over Tryon end that close Tryon given the contour of that area.

At the NoDa neighborhood meeting last night, we were told that 36th Street will be closing some time in the next two months for it's 2-year reconstruction project. The freight lines will be moved 50' to the west, providing space for both the light rail and a future high speed rail corridor.

• Like 3

I can't post a link because either the site or my computer won't let me, but check out the art plans for each station if you haven't already. The design of the 9th street station I think is my favorite so far, it reminds me of the white canopies used on Denver's RTD stations. I also like the plan for the nighttime projection of fun messages at the park n ride stations such as the arrows which say work (pointing to the platform) and rest easy (pointing to the parking lot). The elevator art for JW Clay and University Blvd stations also have cool designs. All of the stations are unique and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Edited by ajfunder

Lots more fare enforcement lately (I think CATS has a new contracted security company). Most of the enforcement involves teams of three getting on a train at Carson or Bland and checking all tickets before East West, they then take the next train back to Carson. Over the past three days I have seen them taking two people off the train in handcuffs. While I do not know what these folks did, if their arrests are for repeat fare evasion then this is a profound change in enforcement philosophy. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

I wonder if they will be 'express' trains from 485 to Stonewall, then 7th or if they will make all stops with one car inaccessible for loading/unloading passengers. If the latter is the case, I'm curious as to how will they manage that with passengers i.e. Informing riders which car is for stonewall and 7th street only