The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. May 4th, 10 AM to noon; Copper Branch patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

Sorry I missed it. I was on a two week trip out west. Toured Seattle and Portland. I impressed with Portland. With the narrow valley between the hills and the river restricting sprawl, the urban fabric is incredible. The downtown density is much underrated and the numerous bridges and industrial buildings create a unique City.

Seattle is pretty impressive also, from what I got to see (area near the ballpark). It has a nice stock of older buildings near the waterfront that are well preserved.

• Like 1

Sorry I missed it. I was on a two week trip out west. Toured Seattle and Portland. I impressed with Portland. With the narrow valley between the hills and the river restricting sprawl, the urban fabric is incredible. The downtown density is much underrated and the numerous bridges and industrial buildings create a unique City.

Seattle is pretty impressive also, from what I got to see (area near the ballpark). It has a nice stock of older buildings near the waterfront that are well preserved.

Now you see why I like walking and riding the Steel Bridge (its official name).

-==-

• Like 1

Sorry to miss the meet, but I was sick for the second weekend in a row. This cold has had me down for two weeks, but I seem to be coming out of it. My dad is finally home after 5 months, and my mother has some cancer treatments coming up so I may miss meets and mini meets for awhile, but my spirit is with the group at all times.

May be making a job change as well so I hope by fall things slow down a bit.

• Like 4

I know this is a little bit of late notice, but since I'm off this weekend, I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a Murfreesboro/Rutherford or SE Nashville meetup. There is a lot going on in both places and I think it would be a good discussion. I know we have a number of Rutherford County and SE Nashville posters, and I think this would be a good opportunity for those of you that haven't been able to make the downtown meets.

Let me know in this thread if you would be interested. My initial thought is to meet somewhere around the square in Murfreesboro, but the location would be flexible depending on who wants to attend.

I cant this weekend as I already have plans. However, lets keep this going in the future. I would certainly be willing to meet up. I follow planning agendas and stuff here so I could actually understand what was talking about. :-D 

I usually have to google image search building names in Nashville to remember which one is being talked about. :))) 

I actually would have put some weight into attending, not only to become more apprised of the Murf' "uprisings", as it were, but also perhaps to meet with SE posters whom I might otherwise never see at the first-Saturday meetings, because of distance.

Unfortunately, though, I don't have a ride ─ loaned out my car for the weekend.  At least I have enough "homework" to keep me occupied in the meantime.  That makes me the "poster" child, I reckon.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be in Columbus Ohio for a wedding, any suggestion on sights to see while I am there though?

Seems at least one First meet a year (or 2 Firsts) somebody within your circle hauls off and gets tied.  I think last year it was St Paul.  Haven't spent any recent time in Columbus, but unless the cleaned it up (most likely so), just stay away from the Scioto River (pronounced "sigh-O-toe").  It used to "stank", just as many urban waterways once had, including the Cuyahoga and the Cumberland.

Someone else on this thread just has to know about the sites.  During the Seventies, Columbus served as a commercial/retail proving ground (for once lucrative firms as Brentwood-TN-headquartered Service Merchandise Inc. [no longer extant]), but that appeared to have waned and to have become corroded statewide over time, although primarily within the NE and the lakeshore regions.  I always did and still do love Columbus.

-==-

I'll be in Columbus Ohio for a wedding, any suggestion on sights to see while I am there though?

I grew up there…very nice city with many similarities to Nashville (size-wise, demographically, State Capital, insurance center, etc.).  The downtown is very walkable, and some great architecture to take-in.  The riverfront is quite nice with civic buildings and parks on both sides.  The former State Prison site was redone in the past 20 years and includes their NHL arena, minor-league baseball stadium, an entertainment district, and several impressive corporate headquarter skyscrapers.  

• Like 3

I'll have to miss this one. Got run over by the old age truck. Should be better in August.

I "liking" your post, PHofKS, to alert you of my concern of this.  You do know what happened to that Robertson Co. guy on the tractor last month, don't you?  (I know you do)

If there's anything that I (we) can do for you personally, then PM me.  Who found you?  Did you got to the ER?  Are you really recovering OK?

-=ricky=-

• Like 1

I "liking" your post, PHofKS, to alert you of my concern of this.  You do know what happened to that Robertson Co. guy on the tractor last month, don't you?  (I know you do)

If there's anything that I (we) can do for you personally, then PM me.  Who found you?  Did you got to the ER?  Are you really recovering OK?

-=ricky=-

It's a joke my wife and I mention whenever another old-age affliction strikes us, in this case the Shingles. The joke comes from a Far Side cartoon by Gary Lawson where a man talks about the 'metaphorical' old age truck; "Never saw it coming!, he says".

Sorry for the confusion

zz_farside.jpg

Edited by PHofKS

It's a joke my wife and I mention whenever another old-age affliction strikes us, in this case the Shingles. The joke comes from a Far Side cartoon by Gary Lawson where a man talks about the 'metaphorical' old age truck; "Never saw it coming!, he says".

Sorry for the confusion

zz_farside.jpg

Hopefully then (and undoubtedly), everyone's got a laff off me on this one.  I could've gone further to seek it out on the news, so at least I didn't bark up the tree too loud, I guess, given now that for decades I always pored on Larson's expanded literalizations.  All I can say is, " 'barrassin! "

:blush:

-==-

Edited by rookzie