The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. June 1st, 10 AM to noon; Copper Branch patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

Hey Daniel or Kevin, why dont one of you all run the show this time.

I will still be there.

Kevin really is quite swamped with having to work Saturdays for quite a while, so I think he'll even have to miss this one as well.  You know him better than I, that he wouldn't want to have miss the meets.

-==-

I might try hard and get to this coming meet, if I go to one at all.  On July 4th Saturday, I'm booked to take my parent on the train from Vancouver, BC to Portland. so I don't think I can make it in time to 6th and Church.

I'm even wondering if there would be more than about 2 show-ups at all on the 4th, since there's a rather long holiday drought between the 4th and Labor Day (the 7th).   People tend to need those rare summer weekends off.

-==-

• Like 1

Thanks to Daniel & Daniel, Ron, James, William, Mark, Bob Ph., Eric, and Peter (no handle name) for showing up at the first-Satruday meet today.  I hadn't made a full meet since last December.

One thing I Iearned from Ron was the new blacktop surface (greenway) in the northern half of the Gulch.  At first It roughly had extended behind the Eleven North development, from below the Church St viaduct, and dumped off at Charlotte, just behind (east of W.W.Grainger Supply).  With the somewhat recent elimination of railroad delivery of paper rolls for the printing presses at Gannett, all customer rail service officially has ended within the gulch district, effectively ending over 100 years of local industrial or commercial service along what had been a complexity of trackwork in the area.  All tracks have been removed (except those few main ones along the west side of Union Station), and the final live portion of the railroad spur that had served as the storage track for the primarily Canadian boxcars of paper rolls has just been added to the previous portion of the North Gulch Greenway.  In the aerial view this newest portion is shown enclosed in yellow south of Church Street (lower part of view).  The blue line depicts the original path of the entire single spur that had served Gannett.  It had extended from near 11th and Porter (where it crossed 11th at an acute angle), and followed a stonewall path north to a point just west of the Grainger parking lot off Charlotte.  At this point, the track once had served Olin Dry Ice, which had been part of the long trucking warehouse which Eleven North eventually replaced.

North_Gulch_Greenway%20extension_zps0npn

Another thing that I learned from Ron was that he has heard that the existing Lifeway campus supposedly will lose all its buildings except the Frost building on 8th and Commerce, and that would mean the death of the early-modernistic (late art deco) Sullivan Tower, built at the end of the Korean War.  After the meet, I drove around the tower twice, while examining the main structure.  It's a shame that all those limestone panels and all those even thicker dimensional slabs of reddish-brown granite adorning the base and the main entry all would be reduced to rubble and powder.  Between NoChesterHester and Nashville_bound, both of whom I feel have the more authoritative words on what to expect, I just don't know what to think.

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects  #3546

The LifeWay Property Redevelopment is not a full demo + rebuild. Most is being repurposed in some manner. New buildings are mixed in to get extra density.

CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects #3528

He said Demo. I tried to probe to see if he meant remodel but he was certain. The existing LifeWay employees will relocate to another part of the property while their new building is being built. I gave him every opportunity to say 'maybe' or qualify the schedule with 'if they find financing' but he would have none of it. He said the LA developers have deep pockets and that they are planing on bringing 50% cash equity (over 200 million) to the table. He said that LifeWay would be paying for their new HQ without any debt financing. 

He said the developers were very excited about the rail connectivity.... a great way to bring customers and recruit residents and businesses to their new development.

To clarify... this is from a long-time LifeWay Executive whom I have known for several years. The information he relayed to me is 100% as he understands the situation... he is not big enough to be signing the deal paperwork but he has lunch with those guys daily.

Someone please tell me that the tower will become saved at least in part.

At any rate, it was quite an informative meet, even if it did leave me scratchin'.  Ron also will announce later that the July main meet has been earmarked for Saturday July 11, due to Sat. July 4 expected to produce little if any attendance.  That means I'll will be back in town just in time for it.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Dang Rookzie, you are now the secretary.

The next meet as shown above will be delayed a week, till the second Saturday due to the 4th of July celebration. Too many people downtown for sure.

No, I just had too much Red Bull before the coffee – just a wild hair (or 2).

-==-