The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. June 1st, 10 AM to noon; Copper Branch patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

Welcome to the neighborhood! If there is anything I can help you with in HH, please don't hesitate to ask. Also, please join our neighborhood Facebook group (link below). There is a lot of good info there. We have a neighborhood association that meets the 3rd Thursday of each month. I'll be honest, we are desperate for attendance (lots of folks piggyback on the very strong Cleveland Park NA), so I would love to see you there. If you don't mind me asking, what street will you be on? I'm on Lischey.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HighlandHeights37207/

(Don't tell Rookzie I'm posting this--he thinks I'm gone already!)

Sounds great! Thank you for the invitation. We're on Meridian just north of Douglas, so probably not too far from you.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

Sounds great! Thank you for the invitation. We're on Meridian just north of Douglas, so probably not too far from you.

It's not the house with the blue el camino parked in front is it? Just curious, because I looked at that house.

• Like 1

It's not the house with the blue el camino parked in front is it? Just curious, because I looked at that house.

You mean that turquoise and purple El Camino up on blocks ─ that's the one, isn't it?

(I'm sorry Vrtigo, some'n crawled up in me.  just had to tack that on.  you know I don't even think close to that....[love you man; just the terms of endearment :thumbsup: ]).  Really, though, once I did have a "planter" in my front yard, made from part of an old stainless-steel penal-institution commode, until my mom drove by one day and made me dig it up.

I just love it over in there, and I feel like a kid in enchantment, whenever I go see some family friends who live on Vaughn St., north of Cleveland, between Meridian and No. 3rd.  Always did love spending the nights over there.  I even wanted to buy in that general near NE myself ─ even almost made a contract ─ except for having to be close near an aging parent across town (since I'm no spring chicken myself).  Fortunately, the only two medical emergencies occurring the last 12 years ended up being negative (so far).

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

You mean that turquoise and purple El Camino up on blocks ─ that's the one, isn't it?

(I'm sorry Vrtigo, some'n crawled up in me.  just had to tack that on.  you know I don't even think close to that....[love you man; just the terms of endearment :thumbsup: ]).  Really, though, once I did have a "planter" in my front yard, made from part of an old stainless-steel penal-institution commode, until my mom drove by one day and made me dig it up.

I just love it over in there, and I feel like a kid in enchantment, whenever I go see some family friends who live on Vaughn St., north of Cleveland, between Meridian and No. 3rd.  Always did love spending the nights over there.  I even wanted to buy in that general near NE myself ─ even almost made a contract ─ except for having to be close near an aging parent across town (since I'm no spring chicken myself).  Fortunately, the only two medical emergencies occurring the last 12 years ended up being negative (so far).

-==-

Hah! No, not the one with the El Camino, but I know which one you are referring to. I don't want to advertise too freely on a public forum, so all I'll say is that we're close.  :shades:

It seems like a great area. Definitely has a bit more character than the sub-Ellington parts of East Nashville and that will take some getting used to, but I think we will enjoy watching the neighborhood grow over the next several years. It feels nice to find an area of EN that hopefully still has some appreciation left in its pricing.

• Like 1

It's a fantastic area. Still a little rough around the edges, true, but we've been here over a year with zero problems. People around here say "get a dog and an alarm system". We have both. But the dog is more for our quality of life, than for security. The alarm is just piece of mind, but it's never been tripped.

There is huge potential for the Douglas Ave corridor. Lots of commercial spaces in need of some TLC. Madeleine's (Douglas & Meridian) is a great little spot.

I guess the biggest drawback of HH (vs. CP) is the way it is being developed. Douglas was the city line way back when. CP homes are mostly built on single "city" lots, while most HH homes are on a combination of 2 or 3 smaller "subdivision" lots (approx 25' wide) that were purchased in 2 or 3 to build one home (such as mine). This makes it much easier for developers to tear down and build multiple "tall-skinnies" without any rezoning by using the original lot lines. No offense, if that is what you bought, I just wouldn't want one blocking the sun out of my 1929 Tudor.

Also, if your home is historic, you may check out the FB page "old times in northeast Nashville". The lady who runs the page was the register of deeds for several decades. She has a wealth of information on most homes in the area. She connected us with our original deed, as well as several very old photos of our home.

Again, welcome.

Edited by nashvillwill

Bob is coming. Bail if you wish. I will continue to have the meets as we have folks that show up that do not post on the board. I also think Mark will be there with a friend.

You mean WE as a group will continue to have the meets…In any case, I will try to make it, but it's been a long week and I may need to sleep in. If I don't come, have a great meet and maybe I will see you guys in June.

Edited by Paramount747

This was me this morning;

"Need coffee. Here's some coffee, perfect. I'm going to get a no whip, triple-this, non-that, extra whip, fair trade.........hey is that group of people talking about developments?......is it Saturday......is this Provence?.....hey.....I know what's going on here....."

It was nice to bump into the group and see a few faces. Sorry that I couldn't stay guys. I promise, someday I'll be there in full attendance.

• Like 1

This was me this morning;

"Need coffee. Here's some coffee, perfect. I'm going to get a no whip, triple-this, non-that, extra whip, fair trade.........hey is that group of people talking about developments?......is it Saturday......is this Provence?.....hey.....I know what's going on here....."

It was nice to bump into the group and see a few faces. Sorry that I couldn't stay guys. I promise, someday I'll be there in full attendance.

Missed my window of opportunity to finally meet up with a member I've been wanting to see face-to-face since I came on in summer 2013, when you still lived in the SF Bay area.  Guess the next chance will be during the next Halley's Comet pass-by. :hi: Reckon I should have been a bit more motivated to get out.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Missed my window of opportunity to finally meet up with a members I've been wanting to see face-to-face since I came on in summer 2013, when you still lived in the SF Bay area. Guess the next chance will be during the next Halley's Comet pass-by. :hi: Reckon I should have been a bit more motivated to get out.

-==-

Rookzie,

The feeling is mutual. As soon as you started posting, I was blown away by your writings. Not only your knowledge of all-things Nashville history, but especially by your passion for transit.

I wish you could have been with me one of my last days in the Bay Area where I (to use a baseball term) hit the transit "cycle". While I had many visitors during my years there, one of the stragglers was my best man, who came at the very end. I had to whirl-wind him around to catch all of the sights. In a single day, we rode Bart, Muni metro, Cable Car, Caltrain, Muni bus, Uber, taxi, personal vehicle, a ferry and logged about 10 miles on foot. For those of you wondering what all of those acronyms mean, that translates to; Heavy (3rd) rail, Commuter rail, LRT, Cable Car (only in SF), taxi, bus, ride share, car, ferry, and feet. Oh and for good measure, we rode an elevator and my buddy caught a flight (so I guess he wins). Throw about 10 beers into that mix and it made for quite an adventure!

Honestly, I'll try to come to a meet soon. I've been saying that for years, but I've also been promising to finish that "honey-do" list for years, and somehow it just gets longer.

• Like 2

Rookzie,

The feeling is mutual. As soon as you started posting, I was blown away by your writings. Not only your knowledge of all-things Nashville history, but especially by your passion for transit.

I wish you could have been with me one of my last days in the Bay Area where I (to use a baseball term) hit the transit "cycle". While I had many visitors during my years there, one of the stragglers was my best man, who came at the very end. I had to whirl-wind him around to catch all of the sights. In a single day, we rode Bart, Muni metro, Cable Car, Caltrain, Muni bus, Uber, taxi, personal vehicle, a ferry and logged about 10 miles on foot. For those of you wondering what all of those acronyms mean, that translates to; Heavy (3rd) rail, Commuter rail, LRT, Cable Car (only in SF), taxi, bus, ride share, car, ferry, and feet. Oh and for good measure, we rode an elevator and my buddy caught a flight (so I guess he wins). Throw about 10 beers into that mix and it made for quite an adventure!

Honestly, I'll try to come to a meet soon. I've been saying that for years, but I've also been promising to finish that "honey-do" list for years, and somehow it just gets longer.

Yeah, the "Honey-do melons" get ripe fast, when you land that house, don't they.  Same thing has happened to me twice -- first in Roanoke, Va, some 32 years ago, and here now just over 12 years.  If I aint sharpening some mower blades, or nudging the gas-powered billy goat, suckin' up tree droppings on the driveway, then I'm doing some millwork for some window or door casings, somewhere in this joint.  But just as it's been been an easy cop-out to say "my battery's running out" when I want to hang up on someone, the house becomes an Ace-card excuse for not getting out, even when it isn't necessarily the case.

If we're not careful, though, with our everlasting list-scrolls of handy-man projects, then we'll end up joining the ranks of Vrtigo. (sh-h-h-h...)

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

We also had a MIA couple show up as well. Lex and his wife came to the meet after a long absence. They have moved back to the Area.

Looking forward to seeing more of them.

He just took 600 photos today of ariels he did from 1600 feet above Nashville. They are on Facebook and pretty amazing!

• Like 1

He just took 600 photos today of ariels he did from 1600 feet above Nashville. They are on Facebook and pretty amazing!

Aww, links, links! Or re-posts if he doesn't want his name on the forum!

(Nevermind, found the link on the other thread...)

Edited by Nathan_in_DC

Hey guys, I am trying to shoot for next Saturday for a mini meet at Bond Coffee in the Gulch. William is out as he has a prior commitment.

We had a smaller turn out last week and I am up for a walk after everyone grabs a cup of Joe.

Shooting for 10 am.

Please give me a heads up if you can come. I need to know before that morning, please.

Even if just one of you can come, I am fine with that. If we have just a few, then we may be able to do a drive as long as someone can commit, as I have a small pick up and that works for one.

Hey guys, I am trying to shoot for next Saturday for a mini meet at Bond Coffee in the Gulch. William is out as he has a prior commitment. We had a smaller turn out last week and I am up for a walk after everyone grabs a cup of Joe. Shooting for 10 am.

Please give me a heads up if you can come. I need to know before that morning, please.  Even if just one of you can come, I am fine with that. If we have just a few, then we may be able to do a drive as long as someone can commit, as I have a small pick up and that works for one.

I think I'll actually shoot for it.  Prob is that I've never tried to park in that area, and if parking is at a premium, then I might have to park up on the Capitol horseshoe at Cordell Hull and ride the circuit to the Gulch.  I'll see.  Too bad there's no walking venue of mentioned interest in that area, because I need a good exercise walk, to put me back in the routine.

-==-

I think I'll actually shoot for it.  Prob is that I've never tried to park in that area, and if parking is at a premium, then I might have to park up on the Capitol horseshoe at Cordell Hull and ride the circuit to the Gulch.  I'll see.  Too bad there's no walking venue of mentioned interest in that area, because I need a good exercise walk, to put me back in the routine.

-==-

Free one hour parking in the Icon, which is the same building that Bond Coffee is in.  Additional hours are paid but IIRC they are cheap - maybe $2.00 per hour.  

• Like 1

Free one hour parking in the Icon, which is the same building that Bond Coffee is in.  Additional hours are paid but IIRC they are cheap - maybe $2.00 per hour.  

Thanks; btw are you over there somewhere?  It would be an incentive just to meet some "unmatched" faces for a change (since I haven't even been to a regular or a mini-meet since last December.

-==-