The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

cityboi

ummmm....kinda makes you wonder why some in the community are questioning Cain's credibility despite his financial connections to make a project like this happen. some leaders almost seemed angry...ummm. he seem to be falling under more scrutiny than most developers.

Could you please tell me why you think he seems to be falling under more scrutiny than most developers?

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cityboi

ummmm....kinda makes you wonder why some in the community are questioning Cain's credibility despite his financial connections to make a project like this happen. some leaders almost seemed angry...ummm. he seem to be falling under more scrutiny than most developers.

Could you please tell me why you think he seems to be falling under more scrutiny than most developers?

just leave it at that......

But one thing to note is that he has convinced key developers to invest their money here in this poject so its a realitic

So much for the "mile deep pockets" or whatever was quoted. Whoever had inside information needs a new source.

when gibbs said Mile deep pockets...he was refering to the Orlando, FL development company involved...remember it was reportred that a Greensboro developer was leading the way for other developers to build this project. Hes NOT the sole developer.

I do think it was wrong of Jim Melvin to be flat out rude to Cain by leaving a meeting with him saying to Cain "he (Jim) had to go" You just dont do that to a developer involved with trying to bring a project of this magnitude to the city.

Melivn said, "Cain has no economic feasibility studies, seemed unfamiliar with the city's demographics, doesn't seem to know the extent of the environmental problems posed by the properties he's targeted and declined to reveal the sources of his financial backing".

:huh: I don't think I've ever seen this with a development.

How do we know what is secretly going on? Jim melvin just hasnt been let in alot of info which is why there is an upset tone in his reaction. Jim Melvin was a former mayor of Greensboro and is use to knowing everything thats going on in the city before most people know. Many people call him the "shadow mayor". In this case...he was left out cold. You have to question Melvin's knowlegde about this when he says Cain has no feasibilty studies, when Ray Gibbs said feasibilty studies were done.

I don't think I've ever seen it either. It's usually the first thing a developer wants to show to people to assure them the project is feasible. Not to mention that anyone who was considering such a project would want to come across as knowledgeable no matter who they were talking to. I believe the article goes on to mention how he hasn't created much confidence from city leaders at this point. I don't think you go to the table with this sort of project if you can't sell your project inside and out.

I'd like to see a story on Trump going to meet with city leaders about a development and have no economic impact studies and no real knowledge of the local demographics just to see how much confidence they give his project. It'd be different if this guy was trying to build a strip center or some cheap apartments.

I don't think I've ever seen it either. It's usually the first thing a developer wants to show to people to assure them the project is feasible. Not to mention that anyone who was considering such a project would want to come across as knowledgeable no matter who they were talking to. I believe the article goes on to mention how he hasn't created much confidence from city leaders at this point. I don't think you go to the table with this sort of project if you can't sell your project inside and out.

I'd like to see a story on Trump going to meet with city leaders about a development and have no economic impact studies and no real knowledge of the local demographics just to see how much confidence they give his project. It'd be different if this guy was trying to build a strip center or some cheap apartments.

I think you missed my last post coastalmindset.....anyway I think the news title is a bit misleading saying "mystery developer revealed" Its not the big boys involved with this that has been revealed, only a local developer thats leading the charge. So dont think its just one local man trying to do this and dont think feasibilty studies werent done because they WERE done based on what Ray Gibbs said. Do you really think one local developer can convince major financial investors, banks and national developers to back this project without having feasibilty studies done? I think there is a lack of information on Jim Melvin's part and he should not have said those thing without knowing whats really going on.

Maybe he's leaving the economic feasibility studies and such up to the national developers to present? The impression I got with the article was that this was just a guy with a personal vision for a grand project downtown, but didn't know how to get it off the ground appropriately. I take it that's why he's bringing in outside developers?

Maybe he's leaving the economic feasibility studies and such up to the national developers to present? The impression I got with the article was that this was just a guy with a personal vision for a grand project downtown, but didn't know how to get it off the ground appropriately. I take it that's why he's bringing in outside developers?

EXACTLY....There are some pretty big entities involved with this..its not just some novice small time local developer with a pipe dream trying to get this off the ground. There is still alot we dont know yet about this project including Jim Melvin which is why its irresponsible for him to make public comments like that which seems to be incorrect. But like I said the article title is a bit misleading.

EXACTLY....There are some pretty big entities involved with this..its not just some novice small time local developer with a pipe dream trying to get this off the ground. There is still alot we dont know yet about this project including Jim Melvin which is why its irresponsible for him to make public comments like that which seems to be incorrect. But like I said the article title is a bit misleading.

Who says there are big entities involved????? More speculation..... no facts. No Disney, no Universal, no Cameron Kuhn, nobody, nada, zilch.

Who says there are big entities involved????? More speculation..... no facts. No Disney, no Universal, no Cameron Kuhn, nobody, nada, zilch.

Ray Gibbs and other News & Record sources, also my personal sources...

Who said Cameron Kuhn wasnt involved? As I said before, this isnt being done just by one small local developer. People are clinching on to what Jim Melvin said and all of a sudden they believe this project is not even a real project.

cityboi

Who are these "big entities" who are involved with this project? I haven't seen any mention of who the other developers are that will be involved. I have seen a lot of speculation. While I have doubts that this lone local person (doesn't sound like he's a "developer" yet) could pull this off by himself I haven't seen any confirmation of other developers.

It seems like there isn't much info either because the are being very secretive still or because there isn't much info to share.

cityboi

Who are these "big entities" who are involved with this project? I haven't seen any mention of who the other developers are that will be involved. I have seen a lot of speculation. While I have doubts that this lone local person (doesn't sound like he's a "developer" yet) could pull this off by himself I haven't seen any confirmation of other developers.

It seems like there isn't much info either because the are being very secretive still or because there isn't much info to share.

This thing wont be revealed until the developers actually get some land under contract.

N&R needs to back down until we have an official proposal, significant progress, and details about the developers, timeline, site, grounbreaking etc. everytime they get a little piece of info, they spread it into a whole article.

normally this doesnt happen with developments. for example the other news today of Greensboro getting an 11-story condo hotel just broke and the developer seems to already have plans and blueprints because hes already planning to pre-sell units this fall, hes just waiting to get land under contract. This project is unusual because its so big so naturally this project is not going to be treated like other downtown projects. But I must say its always better to be surprised then to hear this thing gradually leak out by the media. Just imagine if we didnt know about this at all, then all of a sudden the plans were fully revealed in the media and land was under contract.

here is a video. at the end of the video Frank says the developer is now in the land aquisition phase for this project....however a source tells me this "could" be scaled down to more of a local/regional destination rather than a weekend tourist attraction. The project would still have the elements that were mentioned in the News & Record

http://www.digtriad.com/video/default.aspx...p;storyid=88626

after reading todays uupdate in the paper it appears Cain really is close to aquiring land for this project (which we already know where the tracts are) While this guy is just a real estate broker for the most part Gibbs says he can put the people together to do this project. Gibbs says there are "national heavy weight people, financial institutions and very experienced developers involved in this project" That being said there are enough experience people involved to make this a very credible and realistic project.

There will be 6 to 7 buildings in this project and a source told me that all the buildings will be bewteen 8 and 20 stories. We already know one building is 20-stories and another is 18-stories. So this would be a pretty dense skyline cluster here. The project would also sit next to a site where another developer is planning a 13-story hotel/condo tower. If that tower is built there, it would help bridge the gap bewteen the Triumph center and the rest of the towers downtown. So we could potentially see a dramatic change to Greensboro's skyline if these projects happen. Also Greensboro would no longer have a linear skyline. The last time Greensboro had a highrise construction boom was back in 1989 when 3 office towers were built at the same time. We could very well be on the verge of another high-rise construction boom.

here is a map I put together which shows the highrises downtown (in yellow) and the location of the potential towers. The white areas are the 3 combined tracts of land the developer is seeking for the Triumph Center. There would be three or four more buildings in that complex that would be at least 8 stories.

It would be a striking view from Southside!

DTmaplayout2007.jpg

current view from Southside

465186540_5387e75021.jpg

That would be quite impressive if all these projects materialize.

Just a reminder to all the supporters and naysayers of this project, the economy (more specifically the housing market) is in a huge slump right now and at this date it has a greater chance then ever of being scaled down or not being built at all. If this was proposed about 2-3 years ago earlier then I would be more optimistic about the likelihood of this being constructed, but the truth is many projects around the country are being canceled or put on the shelf and the Triad is not exempt from this.

That would be quite impressive if all these projects materialize.

Just a reminder to all the supporters and naysayers of this project, the economy (more specifically the housing market) is in a huge slump right now and at this date it has a greater chance then ever of being scaled down or not being built at all. If this was proposed about 2-3 years ago earlier then I would be more optimistic about the likelihood of this being constructed, but the truth is many projects around the country are being canceled or put on the shelf and the Triad is not exempt from this.

I have to recognize this thing can get scaled down. I think if there were changes, it would be the price of the residential units. The developer may decide to go with less expensive units. Also keep in mind, most of these condo units wont go online for another two or three years. 3 years from now housing may not be in such a slump. its a timing thing. With all the momentum going on downtown, I dont see a problem with these units selling 3 years from now.

I did some editing to this photo to see what Greensboro's skyline would look like if these buildings are built in the locations they are proposed

BEFORE

224778960_410d66304c.jpg

AFTER (imagine what it would look like with that 30-story Center Pointe II Tower!)

NEWCITYVIEW1.JPG

^That would be pretty sweet.

It's possible that, because we're in a housing slump right now, the number of units could be reduced, but I don't think the slump would affect any other component of the project. If we see a sudden spike in fuel prices with no relief in the near future, that might change some things overall, but otherwise, I think the project as a whole is still doable.

^That would be pretty sweet.

It's possible that, because we're in a housing slump right now, the number of units could be reduced, but I don't think the slump would affect any other component of the project. If we see a sudden spike in fuel prices with no relief in the near future, that might change some things overall, but otherwise, I think the project as a whole is still doable.

The Mayor, Ray Gibbs and some local Greensboro developers agree with you. and of course they know more about this project then almost all of us. Its a doable project. People ask how can this project support so much office space? and I have to say how do we know there isnt a company waiting to move downtown? Alot of stuff is still under wraps and Issac Cain still isnt ready to reveal it. I think alot of people are judging him and this project way to quick. The last thing this community wants to do is discourage this development from happening and some unelected leaders need to close their mouths because they dont know anything about this project. I think once we know all the details we will understand why these developers are proposing these things.

Archived