Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

Man, I HOPE this is right. My guess is shovel in ground Mid-2018's but i HOPE im wrong and your right. 

Just a side note, Collett hasn't listed Tryon Place yet which is odd because they were picked a year ago? 

Collect was picked to handle retail leasing. There's no point marketing retail until it's a little further along. Crescent is doing the office internally, though I hear they are taking proposals to lease out the building from local CREs. 

7 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

I imagine there are still tenants on the 600 S College property?

There are indeed. They were working when I drove by on Friday. 

30 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

The buy-out must be too stiff.  Crescent willing to play the waiting game, I presume.

Actually look at this... that building might be staying now. Which would yield a taller hotel btw... 

I'll have you a confirmation shortly.

home-video-poster.jpg

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Actually look at this... that building might be staying now. Which would yield a taller hotel btw...

home-video-poster.jpg

you and your fanciness lol

Height is great, but I don't look at it a vacuum without considering pedestrian level experience, i.e., building footprint.

This is just too awesome:

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 10.34.26 AM.png

What would they do about the deck?  How would the new building clash with that stubborn, old structure?  And wouldn't this significantly change the cost of the project . . . a narrower, taller building?  Just some thoughts.

2 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

you and your fanciness lol

Height is great, but I don't look at it a vacuum without considering pedestrian level experience, i.e., building footprint.

This is just too awesome:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 10.34.26 AM.png

What would they do about the deck?  How would the new building clash with that stubborn, old structure?  And wouldn't this significantly change the cost of the project . . . a narrower, taller building?  Just some thoughts.

Before we put much thought, let me confirm which plan is correct :-)

28 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

How would the new building clash with that stubborn, old structure?

Why is a clash between old and new a bad thing? That stubborn old structure looks a little drab now, painted gray and all, but it has good bones and good character, so if some enterprising future owner or tenant wanted to, they could sandblast off all that gray paint, put in some storefronts, and have a real gem on their hands. This is the sort of thing that happens all the time in Asheville or Durham, why does everything old always have to get torn down in Charlotte? Especially if it doesn't really affect the overall program of the site?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, orulz said:

Why is a clash between old and new a bad thing? That stubborn old structure looks a little drab now, painted gray and all, but it has good bones and good character, so if some enterprising future owner or tenant wanted to, they could sandblast off all that gray paint, put in some storefronts, and have a real gem on their hands. This is the sort of thing that happens all the time in Asheville or Durham, why does everything old always have to get torn down in Charlotte? Especially if it doesn't really affect the overall program of the site?

oh yeah don't get me wrong.  i'm not opposed to the idea.  i think in this case, that building's value is insignificant versus the hotel footprint's value.  that said, if it can't work out, i think having a developer do what you just described [while also eliminating an east-bound lane] would be awesome.

Edited by alb1no panther

8 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Anyone know when the tenets lease is up on 600?

The main tenant of 600 owns 600. Bill Diehl, one of the meanest and scariest lawyers in Charlotte.

To historic citizens (me) that building will always be Query-Spivey-McGee a feed and seed store. Yes, boys and girls, there was a farm supply store in downtown Charlotte in my lifetime.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs%20Alphabetical%20Order/surveys&rquery.htm

I actually recall it more as a hardware store with garden tools, wheelbarrows and such for the near to town neighborhoods. I was a Dilworth resident and this was a place for such supplies.

How does the historic status affect the application of the site for demolition and re-use?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

To historic citizens (me) that building will always be Query-Spivey-McGee a feed and seed store. Yes, boys and girls, there was a farm supply store in downtown Charlotte in my lifetime.

I actually recall it more as a hardware store with garden tools, wheelbarrows and such for the near to town neighborhoods. I was a Dilworth resident and this was a place for such supplies.

How does the historic status affect the application of the site for demolition and re-use?

Very interesting history there.  I appreciate the link to the landmarks commission survey.  

Search down to "The fundamental consequences" for info about what the commission says it can do about these sorts of things: http://www.cmhpf.org/Policy Guidelines Manual.htm.  

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Nashville_136-acme_crJoeBuglewicz_mr.jpg

Would love to see it restored to its former glory into an entertainment venue like Acme Feed & Seed in Nashville.

While I can't officially confirm anything... 

I poured through all the files and documents I have on Tryon Place at home and at some point Crescent Crescent departed from the plans that saved 600 South College. All their latest renderings, site plans, RFPs, etc omit the building. Pretty sure its a goner. Also, while Bill is a certainly a hard customer, he's 75, and even highly successful, highly rich old lawyers need more money to leave their kids. I would guess in the next couple months, when 600 South College needs to come down, we will hear about it going for a wildly absurd dollar amount. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 6.14.08 PM.png

Edited by Guest

My thoughts are that Bill Diehl's firm, and it is fairly large occupying all of 600 South College the 3 story building, is holding out. To build a hotel taller is more expensive too especially if it nets the same room count. You would think this firm would move to the top floor of 615 South College but like anything it comes down to money. They are a large firm and more than likely want big bucks. I wonder if there was just an understanding not legal contract for their property when all this was announced. It always looked like the project took the whole entire block which they do control except for this building. Here is their firm and it is just not Bill Diehl http://www.jmdlaw.com/about-us/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

My thoughts are that Bill Diehl's firm, and it is fairly large occupying all of 600 South College the 3 story building, is holding out. To build a hotel taller is more expensive too especially if it nets the same room count. You would think this firm would move to the top floor of 615 South College but like anything it comes down to money. They are a large firm and more than likely want big bucks. I wonder if there was just an understanding not legal contract for their property when all this was announced. It always looked like the project took the whole entire block which they do control except for this building. Here is their firm and it is just not Bill Diehl http://www.jmdlaw.com/about-us/

Bill owns the building under an LLC. That's why I keep mentioning him. Maybe they've been part of the problem the whole time.