Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Oh no. No, no, no. No,No, No. The living use this space now. The purpose of a cemetery is to serve the living not the dead. To serve them with compassion, honor and dignity.

My space is there, my sister is there (as disclosure.)

Yes this is off topic I could not let this pass

that's fine for today, but we have a limited amount of space on this planet and an ever increasing number of people.    that and eventually people will stop visiting your grave.  anyway, cemeteries are enormous wastes, especially in city centers.    you want to honor the dead, build a living park and put some memorial garden or whatever.  

charlotte has plenty of parks around as well as surface lots so it's not really pressing, but other cities have relocated cemeteries in the past with wonderful results.  

12 minutes ago, BullDurhamer said:

charlotte has plenty of parks around as well as surface lots so it's not really pressing, but other cities have relocated cemeteries in the past with wonderful results.  

You won't win this argument based on past discussions of the topic here.  However, I agree with you 99% (1% thinks Tarhoosier made some great points).  Chicago relocated a cemetery and it was hugely positive.  Elmwood could make an excellent park in the future and if I had family members living there I'd be totally fine with a relocation.  We're not winning this topic though.  Now, back to Tryon Place...

• Like 3

On 9/21/2017 at 8:27 AM, J-Rob said:

Breaking News:  New High-rise with Anchor Tenant!

Standard UP Response: Blah. Boring.  NYC and Denver are so much better.  Why is it not a 1k footer?

Lol.  I say this in jest, but come on guys...  This is a good looking building that will tower over 277.  Not every building is going to have a handle/crown/sail/pyramid.  I love it.  I think it is a really sharp looking building.  More importantly it has nice pedestrian interaction and speaks to the health of the Charlotte economy.  I do hope that the Duke building has a little more substantial height, but I really like the Ally building.

Ally.jpg.733c2caf096c7a193874412771d5c799.jpg

So I'm just catching up on this thread. Is this really what they're proposing? This whole site continues to devolve from its original high hopes and promises. Even though I don't care for this style of architecture,  the previous renditions were at least interesting to look at. I guess the good news is the ground floor should still be decent.

• Like 2

Just now, Spartan said:

So I'm just catching up on this thread. Is this really what they're proposing? This whole site continues to devolve from its original high hopes and promises. Even though I don't care for this style of architecture,  the previous renditions were at least interesting to look at. I guess the good news is the ground floor should still be decent.

This is what the Office building will look like yes. Remains to be seen what the hotel will be, but it'll be full service so it should be quite a lot larger and more interesting than what is rendered.

Hotels are always fairly small an uninteresting though. The one behind 300 S Tryon is at least not boring. The Grand Bohemian has the potential to be the first one in Charlotte that is legitimately interesting. I hope that they are able to make the Tryon Place one exciting, but based on the current office building design I have pretty low expectations.

22 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The Grand Bohemian has the potential to be the first one in Charlotte that is legitimately interesting.

I am guessing you mean out of the "new" hotels.

Both Dunhill and Iveys are interesting. And the Kimpton is different (which makes it interesting)

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is what the Office building will look like yes. Remains to be seen what the hotel will be, but it'll be full service so it should be quite a lot larger and more interesting than what is rendered.

Just a question about hotels for ya RDF, I remember reading something you said about uptown hotels a few months ago.  Essentially, Charlotte is lacking on hotels for upscale business travelers. Since then there have been maybe three or more hotels proposed, how many rooms more (assuming nice hotels uptown) does Charlotte need to lose the stigma of lacking quality places to stay for business travelers?

Just now, Popsickle said:

Just a question about hotels for ya RDF, I remember reading something you said about uptown hotels a few months ago.  Essentially, Charlotte is lacking on hotels for upscale business travelers. Since then there have been maybe three or more hotels proposed, how many rooms more (assuming nice hotels uptown) does Charlotte need to lose the stigma of lacking quality places to stay for business travelers?

I think with what's left to announce and whats under construction Uptown Charlotte should have just enough. I don't think we will have enough for the superbowl or to land HUGE conventions however.

On 10/6/2017 at 5:44 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think with what's left to announce and whats under construction Uptown Charlotte should have just enough. I don't think we will have enough for the superbowl or to land HUGE conventions however.

We should get UPers to crowdsource an upscale 1k room on the duke data center lot beside the convention center lol.

(But in all seriousness, that's probably be worth investing in and should definitely happen)

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

Charlotte is definitely getting a 1K Room convention style hotel in the near future, Biz and The Observer has stated that companies are looking into it.

Its contingent on the City ponying up $100M. A wise man once told me "Current convention center hotel deals getting done are (appx) $100m in developer/owner equity, $100m in debt AND $100m in public subsidy. " So yea. Its certainly possible, jsut need the city to pony up money.

So, When will er see updated renderings?

No idea. I think a flag will be announced before Dec. whether that comes with a rendering or not I cannot say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2017 at 1:54 PM, Scribe said:

I am guessing you mean out of the "new" hotels.

Both Dunhill and Iveys are interesting. And the Kimpton is different (which makes it interesting)

Sort of. I left out Ivey's because it's not solely a hotel building. I completely forgot about the Dunhill. But those are both vintage construction that used a better architectural standard than most of the buildings today. I say that more because it seems like most of the hotels in uptown are afterthoughts of, and secondary/de facto accessory buildings to,  a larger project.

29 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Sort of. I left out Ivey's because it's not solely a hotel building. I completely forgot about the Dunhill. But those are both vintage construction that used a better architectural standard than most of the buildings today. I say that more because it seems like most of the hotels in uptown are afterthoughts of, and secondary/de facto accessory buildings to,  a larger project.

At least the flag that I THINK this will be had done some pretty nice buildings of late.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If I made a "guess" on the flag, I'd get an angry text/email about 5 min later. HAHA

I'm guessing Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Taj, Four Seasons, Waldorf, etc.

If we're going to win HQ2, we need a five star hotel.

The same is true if we're really going to be an international city and a global financial center like NY and London.

Edited by SydneyCarton

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm guessing Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Taj, Four Seasons, Waldorf, etc.

If we're going to win HQ2, we need a five star hotel.

The same is true if we're really going to be an international city and a global financial center like NY and London.

The only realistic of those is a Four Seasons. 

• Like 1