Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

22 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm still not 100% sure uptown has the critical mass that can support what people desire. Guess we will just have to see.

I somewhat agree with you. I think Levine Land is killing the city... There is a huge loss of density due to all that open space.

What needs to happen is the consolidation of retail locations within uptown. It is nice to have stores scattered here and there but we also need one location that can house a lot of shopping so that people don't have to walk all over the city to run their errands.

I am hoping that Asana can get retail tenants into Tryon Place that allow residents to go there and check off more than one thing from their errand list.

• Like 2

I think Levineland is choking uptown as well, but I also think we shouldn’t be approving projects who’s sq footage seems to be predominantly parking deck. If I had the time, and C5 would pay me for the time spent on research I would like to find out what the parking occupancy of these huge new decks are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think Levineland is choking uptown as well, but I also think we shouldn’t be approving projects who’s sq footage seems to be predominantly parking deck. If I had the time, and C5 would pay me for the time spent on research I would like to find out what the parking occupancy of these huge new decks are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say uptown the parking occupancy is very high even with the newer decks. there are just more workers coming from all parts of the region uptown that are not served by public transit in any form.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JSquare said:

I somewhat agree with you. I think Levine Land is killing the city... There is a huge loss of density due to all that open space.

What needs to happen is the consolidation of retail locations within uptown. It is nice to have stores scattered here and there but we also need one location that can house a lot of shopping so that people don't have to walk all over the city to run their errands.

I am hoping that Asana can get retail tenants into Tryon Place that allow residents to go there and check off more than one thing from their errand list.

Exactly. I don't think it's rocket science. Why do they go on surveys of other cities then not copy success stories? Close 3 or 4 blocks of Tryon or Church or both in a square. Allow for stands with outdoor seating in the road and gulp beer (think Larimer street in Denver where you can move between restaurants and bars on that street with beer in hand) . Allow crafts stands. Food trucks with a common area of picnic benches (think night markets in Singapore). On and on. Would not cost a ton to try and it's worked really well in other places. I think there are enough people in uptown to get it started then it will become a regional destination and the place to go before and after sports events.

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I would say uptown the parking occupancy is very high even with the newer decks. there are just more workers coming from all parts of the region uptown that are not served by public transit in any form.  

Once ble extension is open probably 30% or more drive their Land Rovers by a park and ride? Adding more parking uptown is like adding lanes to the highway. Parking needs to get more expensive during peak times ( like toll lanes) and there need to be plenty of cheaper lots on the periphery people can shuttle bus in from.

17 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Once ble extension is open probably 30% or more drive their Land Rovers by a park and ride? Adding more parking uptown is like adding lanes to the highway. Parking needs to get more expensive during peak times ( like toll lanes) and there need to be plenty of cheaper lots on the periphery people can shuttle bus in from.

I would agree if at least the silver line was open.

Other than that, it would be like NoDa. People would probably choose not to go at times due to parking and lack of good mass transit.

44 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Parking needs to get more expensive during peak times

The city can definitely tax parking Uptown. The tax can be very targeted, all paid parking withing CBD -- hell do it for all of Charlotte -- has a transportation tax, of which 95% goes to transit oriented projects.

I know of way to many large companies Uptown that still give free parking spots to their employees.  Then the companies will be taxed or start taking that "perk" away and making employees pay for their own... which hopefully makes them evaluate alternate means for accessing Uptown.

BLE will help, but I think Silver line would be the tipping point -- for folks living in the "wedge" you could go east or west a short distance and hop on a light rail. Right now everyone east of Park Rd does not consider Blue Line as a real option.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Scribe said:

The city can definitely tax parking Uptown. The tax can be very targeted, all paid parking withing CBD -- hell do it for all of Charlotte -- has a transportation tax, of which 95% goes to transit oriented projects.

I know of way to many large companies Uptown that still give free parking spots to their employees.  Then the companies will be taxed or start taking that "perk" away and making employees pay for their own... which hopefully makes them evaluate alternate means for accessing Uptown.

BLE will help, but I think Silver line would be the tipping point -- for folks living in the "wedge" you could go east or west a short distance and hop on a light rail. Right now everyone east of Park Rd does not consider Blue Line as a real option.

Like the tax idea.

I see a lot of people lined up for buses after work. Is that a poor option for those folks?

What about the idea of lots around the edge with really frequent  shuttle service in the meantime? I'm not sure I've seen that in the US . Let the companies subsidize that instead of parking.

Edited by elrodvt

Are parking charges/fees subject to NC state sales tax?  If so, they're already being taxed by NC counties; the county sales tax is collected with the state sales tax.  If not, neither the county nor the city can impose a sales tax or gross receipts tax on parking without consent of the NC General Assembly, since NC is a 'Dillon Rule' state.  And, we all know how the bumpkins and yokels from rural NC who are elected to the General Assembly feel about Charlotte collecting taxes, so it's unlikely legislation to impose a parking tax would make it through a committee hearing in Raleigh, let alone be approved by a vote in the legislature.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Old Carolinian said:

since NC is a 'Dillon Rule' state.  And, we all know how the bumpkins and yokels from rural NC who are elected to the General Assembly feel about Charlotte

I really wish the City of Charlotte/Mecklenburg was home rule or we had a higher degree of autonomy. Maybe we can be the new Catalonia! Try and declare independence from NC. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Old Carolinian said:

Are parking charges/fees subject to NC state sales tax?  If so, they're already being taxed by NC counties; the county sales tax is collected with the state sales tax.  If not, neither the county nor the city can impose a sales tax or gross receipts tax on parking without consent of the NC General Assembly, since NC is a 'Dillon Rule' state.  And, we all know how the bumpkins and yokels from rural NC who are elected to the General Assembly feel about Charlotte collecting taxes, so it's unlikely legislation to impose a parking tax would make it through a committee hearing in Raleigh, let alone be approved by a vote in the legislature.

I gather these "bumpkins" regard Charlotte officials as fools. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Carolinian said:

Where there's a will there's a way.  Maybe not a tax per se but the same effect. Yearly inspection of lines painted correctly fee? ;-)

A quick reminder of all the VASTLY superior projects that had some degree of planning for the very parcel on which the less-than-impressive final result of Tryon Place will stand. I wasn’t even disappointed in the green version (the one we all thought was actually going to happen). Now we’re stuck with some unimaginative, bland rectangular prism that will have a negligible impact on the skyline. *sigh*

In order: Trump Tower, One Charlotte, and a previous version of Tryon Place by Crescent.

D84AED05-4C06-4E82-B834-559B2C606740.jpeg

1C5B930B-77EB-44BD-AF28-4F9D751E635E.jpeg

C69E3BBB-A922-4223-9E9B-F2781C3AAA5A.jpeg

• Like 1

A quick reminder of all the VASTLY superior projects that had some degree of planning for the very parcel on which the less-than-impressive final result of Tryon Place will stand. I wasn’t even disappointed in the green version (the one we all thought was actually going to happen). Now we’re stuck with some unimaginative, bland rectangular prism that will have a negligible impact on the skyline. *sigh*  

In order: Trump Tower, One Charlotte, and a previous version of Tryon Place by Crescent.

D84AED05-4C06-4E82-B834-559B2C606740.jpeg.bfe14c3a39f906c5a8b2487a7f8e41ca.jpeg&key=87518a21a41842f13f60e59bfbf4fc76db7c3d65d3041150e3dd0579d258c75f

1C5B930B-77EB-44BD-AF28-4F9D751E635E.jpeg.605e6885ed9f92a05bcd02f0c260eb20.jpeg&key=8f8942d4af85356fccbb5d0773f649594edd5c5ad15806f1b2a40d8693604efc

C69E3BBB-A922-4223-9E9B-F2781C3AAA5A.jpeg.240f56dd7e2f8e7f458d4c92067caa9b.jpeg&key=e5a8eab3d488c18977806a5f24001f4eb101d7fe1aa10919c0d69d2a141f408a

You lost your credibility when you suggested trump was well planned (it was the worst kind of vanity project, that never had a shot), and then when you suggested one charlotte was planned on the Tryon Place lot (actually the current Regions Bank building). You obviously know nothing about any of these projects. Trump Charlotte had the pedestrian charm of the back side of the BB&T building. Tryon Place will be better than Trump Charlotte would have ever been, and guess what, it never had a chance.

I’d rather have a great mixed use project that’s not the product of inflated ideas of the health of the real estate market. There was so much about Trump and One Charlotte that were wrong. One Charlotte expected they could find 99 people to spend over 3.5 Million on a condo. Trump expected to find even more, and to set a new record for office pricing.

Tryon Place will bring actual working people, a very big time hotel flag uptown, and great retail.

One Charlotte and Trump are the exact reason those projects don’t exist anymore. People are realistic now, because they got burned in 2008

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You lost your credibility when you suggested trump was well planned

Point out the time where I said this!

I said, “some degree of planning”. Not sure where you pulled that from that from.

To me, it looks like the One Charlotte building is between the Westin and former Observer site, rather than in front of the Westin (as the Regions building is). No need for the additional sass. I’m just a guy who likes the other renderings.

Point out the time where I said this!  I said, “some degree of planning”. Not sure where you pulled that from that from. To me, it looks like the One Charlotte building is between the Westin and former Observer site, rather than in front of the Westin (as the Regions building is). No need for the additional sass. I’m just a guy who likes the other renderings. 

They were proposed at the same time, so they wouldn’t be on the same parcel. I just don’t understand how someone can complain about any office that’s being built in Charlotte. The fact of the matter is no city Charlotte’s size is developing 1/2 as much Commercial. Cities more than twice Charlottes size aren’t developing 1/2 still. People complained endlessly about 615 when the renderings came out, and then when it was finished people lauded it for its beauty and simplicity. Tryon Place will kick it’s pants off from a Pedestrian perspective. Just give it some time. 

Sorry for the sass, it’s just everything that didn’t get built in 2008 didn’t make it for a various reasons, most of which were they were unrealistic. The Vue was bought on auction for Christ sakes. It shouldn’t even have happened.

Charlottes tallest buildings were built and/or conceived by two of the 10 largest banks in the world. Until Charlotte gets a new fortune 50 company that wants to wave its dick around, there won’t be a 74 Floor glass building in charlotte.

No worries. We’re just looking at it from two different perspectives. Yours is more “insider”, whereas mine is more “onlooker”. I shouldn’t have said “projects”. I should have just specified the structures themselves with disregard for the entire project.

I see the inherent issues that could have come about with the projects that didn’t come to fruition. That aside, my point was that the buildings themselves would have been much more pleasant to the eye than what we will end up with.

Nonetheless, anything beats a parking lot. It just seems like a consolidated downgrade. Particularly from the green one (and the several similar variants of it) that they teased us with for so long.

No worries. We’re just looking at it from two different perspectives. Yours is more “insider”, whereas mine is more “onlooker”. I shouldn’t have said “projects”. I should have just specified the structures themselves with disregard for the entire project.  

I see the inherent issues that could have come about with the projects that didn’t come to fruition. That aside, my point was that the buildings themselves would have been much more pleasant to the eye than what we will end up with.

Nonetheless, anything beats a parking lot. It just seems like a consolidated downgrade. Particularly from the green one (and the several similar variants of it) that they teased us with for so long.

They messed up by even putting those out in the public. They were designed for Duke. They were not designs that worked for a financial client, and that’s what we got in the end, Ally Bank. I don’t think it’s perfect, we just gotta hope Charlotte can recruit non financial people o build non financial projects.

Dukes next tower should be much taller and much cooler.

The more people walking around, the more vibrancy, the more high paid people running around uptown, the more chance projects like the ones you love come to fruition. I loved those projects just as much as you. I just learned it wasn’t their time. Their time will be in our lifetime, don’t worry. This is just the time when Charlotte densifies and grows more vibrant.

Sorry for being a dick earlier, been a long, long, stressful holiday weekend as usual.

Maybe purely excited for Tryon Place, I like the current renderings more than the previous ones. This one will really create a pedestrian friendly Plaza with a great hotel and some shopping along with office workers. I’m grateful for Charlottes development and I’m sure it will only get better.

19 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They messed up by even putting those out in the public. They were designed for Duke. They were not designs that worked for a financial client, and that’s what we got in the end, Ally Bank. I don’t think it’s perfect, we just gotta hope Charlotte can recruit non financial people o build non financial projects.

Dukes next tower should be much taller and much cooler.

The more people walking around, the more vibrancy, the more high paid people running around uptown, the more chance projects like the ones you love come to fruition. I loved those projects just as much as you. I just learned it wasn’t their time. Their time will be in our lifetime, don’t worry. This is just the time when Charlotte densifies and grows more vibrant.

Sorry for being a dick earlier, been a long, long, stressful holiday weekend as usual.

This sounds like great news for the Duke tower.   Have you seen renderings?

Is Duke keeping this under the radar until the proposed rate rise has been resolved?

This sounds like great news for the Duke tower.   Have you seen renderings?

Is Duke keeping this under the radar until the proposed rate rise has been resolved?

Heard cool descriptions, and bingo.